Removing 3M 4200 from hands?

eng208

Seaman
Resealed all thru-hull transom fittings today with 4200. I started out using gloves, but they started tearing and getting sticky so I pulled them off. Wound up getting this stuff all over my hands. Tried mineral spirits but I guess I let some of it cure on my hands. How in the world do you get this off? Got to work in the ER tomorrow, can't imagine what my patients are going to think.:eek:
Thanks

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Removing 3M 4200 from hands?

Wear the purple nitrile exam gloves at work tomorrow.

... try finger nail polish remover.

ddrieck

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Laquer Thinner or MEK will work. Just pour some on a rag and start scrubbing. Do not soak your hands in either as it defats the fat under your skin.

fishrdan

Admiral

:DThat's exactly what I use.

Is that purple gloves,,, or finger nail polish remover.... :D (LOL)

Seriously, I'd use a finger nail brush or tooth brush to scrub it out of your skin, along with lacquer thinner, carb cleaner or finger nail polish remover. Anything that's going to dissolve the 4200, isn't going to be good for your health...

BTW, mineral spirits or paint thinner would have taken it off your skin,,, before it cured.

D.spencer

Petty Officer 1st Class

That 4200 is wicked stuff. I got some of it on some pants 3 years ago that still refuses to come out of the fabric despite being washed I don't know how many times now. :facepalm:. I will allways know that pair of pants :rolleyes:

coolguy147

Commander

I had 5200 on my hands for about a week. Everybody at school asked what it was lol...didn't start peeling till the next day.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

brake cleaner also works. however just like acetone and lacquer thinner, it removes the fats and oils from your skin.

i couldnt get 5200 off my hands i tryed all sorts of cemicals. the next day i put on latex glooves to do some more work and it seems if you sweat in the glooves that removes the stuff. i guess its the oils/water from your skin getting under the 5200 that makes it peel.