4.3 Runs Great But Occasionally Dies - Anything I'm Missing?

onewhippedpuppy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So, pertinent data up front: 2004 Tahoe Q4, 4.3 MCM Mercruiser, 2 bbl carb, Alpha 1, Thunderbolt V. New to me this year, the only known recent maintenance is new exhaust manifolds, impeller, oil change, and serpentine belt last year. Battery is new this spring.

This is a bit of an interesting issue. The boat starts normally and easily, but will sometimes (not always) die. Dying typically is characterized by sputtering then a drop of RPM with a short bit of dieseling before it quits. Sometimes it is immediately after launching, sometimes after boating for a little while, but always in the first half of an afternoon on the lake. It has happened with the boat both cold and at operating temp, and with the boat both in neutral and while under a load. The issue seems random, as I can't find a common theme. Typically I will attempt multiple restarts, hold it in neutral at higher RPM for a few minutes, and once it will steadily maintain RPM it is fine for the rest of the day. It doesn't coincide with filling the boat up with gas, and I use blue Stabil with every tank. Just as an example, it ran great this Saturday then died on Sunday. After multiple restarts on Sunday it ran great for the rest of the afternoon.

Because it's intermittent I really don't quite know how to troubleshoot, so I'm using this opportunity to do the tune-up that I had planned to do this fall after boating season. Current to-do list is fuel/water separator filter, carb fuel filter, distributor cap and rotor, spark plugs, spark plug wires, and clean the spark arrestor. My only theory is maybe a partially clogged fuel filter or fouled plugs, but I'm really not sure. Any other suggestions?

Struc

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 4.3 Runs Great But Occasionally Dies - Anything I'm Missing?

A few things come to mind.

When (if ever) was the carb last rebuilt?
Have you tried adjusting the idle mixture?
What is your base idle set at currently (and can you confirm it with a tach other than the one on the dash)?

Those tune up items are also a great idea. Certainly can't hurt anything.

onewhippedpuppy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Curt, thanks for the reply. I have no idea on the carb, my guess is that it is probably original. A rebuild crossed my mind as well, but the intermittent nature of the issue didn't vibe with past experiences. Same goes for the idle question, it typically idles at a rock-solid indicated 750-ish RPM. I don't have a secondary tach so I can't verify the gauge. I honestly didn't think about the idle because it's normally very good, and it sometimes dies while at speed. On Sunday it died several times while pulling a tube at 3,000 RPM.

Hit It

Seaman

Maybe your fuel pump is starting to go?

Struc

Chief Petty Officer

Fuel pump is a possibility. Electric I assume? Oil pressure switch for an electric fuel pump could also be the problem, or any of the wiring associated with it.

Fuel tank check valve.
Fuel filter.
Fuel pickup in the tank.

All possibilities.

PS94

Petty Officer 1st Class

+1 on the oil pressure switch, mine was randomly stalling, then finally would just fire, die. fire, die. etc, until I replaced the switch. all is now well again.
When craking, it allowed the fuel pump to run, and fill the carb, then the switch takes over the fuel pump operation. sometimes it'd work, others, no...sometimes it'd quit randomly in the lake...

onewhippedpuppy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys. Any suggestions as to where I can order an oil pressure switch from? I ordered all of my tuneup parts from our host but they are sold out of oil pressure switches. If I'm just taking a guess at the issue I'll start with the cheap parts, as well as taking care of some common potential issues.

Struc

Chief Petty Officer

Not sure what the factory one looks like, but I'm sure if you google the part number, you'll find one someplace.

If iBoats doesn't have one, then try www.wholesalemarine.com

Or, aftermarket is also out there. This is the one I put on my boat when I added an electric fuel pump:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00068OQ3S