E10 gas

workerbee606

Seaman
Is it ok to run E10 gas in my Yamaha four stroke. I have read that its not a good idea at all even with the fuel water seperator and that it will ruin the motor, the trouble for me is there is only one station that sells real gas in my area according to a website that tracks stations that sell it. This station is on the way to the river that I take the boat to most often but I started out running the E10 in the boat and from what I have read its a no no to mix the regular gas with E10 due to a gell that can form. I always mix some fuel treatment for ethanol gas and Yamaha ringfree as well at each fillup as per the dealers recomendations but I wonder if the fuel treatment realy doe's anything to help.
I only have about 8 hours run time on the motor since new two months ago and I realy want to take proper care it.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: E10 gas

E 10 will not hurt your motor. Don't bother chasing down fuel. We have been using going over this same question for a long time.

Go to google and type this into the search box iboats: e-10 and you will get PLENTY of results.

What you are doing right now is fine. Just be sure not to leave fuel in the carbs for an extended period (say 5 months or more) ;)

Any fuel that is going to be kept 90 days w/o use should be treated with stabil

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

been running E10 in Minnesota for over 20 years, not ONE SINGLE issue caused by E10 and that includes several "old tech 2 stroke" snowmobiles, dirt bikes, wheelers.......... As long as you purchase gas at a station that "turns over" quick and has fresh gas every couple days you should be fine. The only people I've see have issues are those that got from stations that are out in the middle of no where and only get a tanker truck in every few months.

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

That's all we can buy in Colorado...well, unless you go to a petroleum manufacturer, and buy "AvGas" at over $5 a gallon.

Evidently it's something to do with the elevation. For awhile they had MTBE instead of Ethanol, but that caused some problems, so now all the gas here has ethanol.

Treker57

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's nice that we have so many corn free stations around here, but have plenty of friends that have no problems with E10

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

The oil industry could go back to using MTBE if Uncle Sam would stop letting the Farmers screw them. MTBE was taken out of gas because in California it was getting into the water table just like lead was doing before that. So when they came out with Ethanol all the tanks were replaced with new tank. MTBE is much better on the enviroment and it only cost .05 a gallon to make,and we'd get better gas mileage. Plus our grocery bills would come back to normal. It would take about a moth to change over to MTBE.

sccatfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The main problem with ethanol is that it can be harmful to fuel lines. New fuel lines shouldn't be bothered with it but I've seen some guys saying they believe some primer bulbs aren't ethanol safe.

Ethanol will also absorb water out of the air and separate from the gasoline.

Mixing E10 and regular gasoline won't cause any problems. Adding straight gasoline will just dilute then percentage and you'll be running E1 or E.2 or whatever the the new percentage may be.

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

The oil industry could go back to using MTBE if Uncle Sam would stop letting the Farmers screw them. MTBE was taken out of gas because in California it was getting into the water table just like lead was doing before that. So when they came out with Ethanol all the tanks were replaced with new tank. MTBE is much better on the enviroment and it only cost .05 a gallon to make,and we'd get better gas mileage. Plus our grocery bills would come back to normal. It would take about a moth to change over to MTBE.

I live in California and Chevron still puts MTBE in the fuel in Northern California. I used to hunt for it but now I just run Stabil Marine and Merc Quick Clean all year round. I have never had a problem. I have more trouble with Winter Diesel than I do with E10 gas.

CoffeeHound

Petty Officer 1st Class

Whenever i go to the lake, i fill up with whatever from any station that is open at 4 AM. and add oil to match fuel added .. Been doing it for 50 years and never had an engine go south on me . i really don't see what all the hoop-lah is all about with E-10 / 15 that is mandated in most states. Could see how some one could let a boat set a year in the sun and then whine about it not running right tho .

Killin Time

Recruit

http://www.iboats.com/basics/ethanol_fuels.html
http://fuelschool.blogspot.com/2009/02/ethanolgasohol-problems-with-2-cycle.html
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/Pubs/farmmgt/05010.html

After reading all this I'm still not sure if my 99 3.0 mercrusier I/O can run ethanol. I, like many others don't have ethanol free stations around here so I buy non-ethanol gas from my marina for 4.00 a gallon. 50 cents more than stations but peice of mind(at least that aspect of boating anyway). I have ask several mechanics the same question and always different answers. So, I just bite the bullit and have fun. Thats what it's all about anyway right?:cool:

oldjeep

Admiral

Thanks, very interesting, i'll try it see what happens......
Gary

Just be aware that if you have been running nothing but pure gas since 1999 that what will happen is that your fuel system will become very clean all at once. SO make sure you have an extra fuel filter before running the E10.