How to find out if a boat is stolen or not with HIN

kellmike626

Petty Officer 2nd Class
To start off, I found a boat that is a steal for the price (at least by the looks. Needs TLC and everything, but I'm willing to put time into it), but the only thing that sent off an alarm to me was that the owner stated he doesn't have the title for the boat.
How do I figure out if the boat is stolen? How do I use the Hull Identification Number to find out if the boat is stolen? Where do I go to check it?
If it turns out it is not stolen, and I wanted to get it registered, what would I have to do to get a legitimate title? I live in ontario, but I don't know how the system works.
I am considering purchasing this boat as a winter project, and using it with my other boat when it's fixed up, but I want a title with it, so I have peace of mind when I'm out boating, and traveling.

Here is the ad.
http://london.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...-80-speed-boat-and-trailor-W0QQAdIdZ165859421

BeaufortTJustice

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How to find out if a boat is stolen or not with HIN

I'm not familiar with laws/procedures in Canada, but here in my neck of the woods, you can bring the HIN to any police department or the state Dept. of Natural Resources and they will run the HIN through the computer (NCIC) to check if it has been reported stolen. It's not a perfect solution because some boats are stolen, but either never reported, or reported so long ago, they may not still be in the LE computer system. Also, no police agency will give you a written guarantee that the boat is not stolen.

As far as registering without a title...that varies by state and country...somebody from your neck of woods should be able to chime in on that. Around here, there is a provision that allows you to register w/o title; hopefully there is one where you live as well. There is always a risk involved due to possibility of someone coming forward in the future and claiming ownership. You may win the fight in the end, but is it worth the battle? Good luck.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

It looks like it could be a good project boat. However, I think it needs more than just TLC. For $500 I don't think it is a steal. The engine may or may not run. The seats are ruined. With all the leaves in the boat it is obvious that it has been sitting uncovered for some time. I wouldn't doubt that the entire floor is rotted out..stringers, transom maybe also.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... That motor is a 1960s something.... $500. is Way too much...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

ask him how much he will pay you to tow it off for him. there are many parts for that motor, that are no longer available. especially electronic parts. the boat to me is a total loss.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

It looks a mess for 500. Canadian 462.19 US, find something else......

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Wow, I wouldn't touch that one, let alone pay $500 for it. That COULD be a good motor but the pessimist in me tells me something probably went wrong with it which is why it was left sitting.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If the person selling the boat actually owns it and he/she simply lost the title it is a simple matter for them to apply for a duplicate. If they won't do that, then I would pass on the deal. But then I would pass on the deal anyway because this boat is toast. Now if they accepted your offer to tow it away that might be a "fair deal".

eastont

Chief Petty Officer

Take the HIN to Service Canada and they will help you.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Any boat full of leaves is a boat to forget about. Those leaves mean it sits outside uncovered getting soaked every time it rains or snows. Slowly rotting away. I wouldn't spend $500 for it. Maybe $100. Its a project boat.

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class

First off, there is nothing wrong with this project boat - not a steal in my book, but not a rip off. Second, all project boats look like thst (or worse) in the beginning. It needs to be completely gutted, for sure - stringers transom etc, but a very cool boat.

Last, most of my projects come with no paperwork either. Work with your local authorities to figure the legal way to make the boat yours.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Run Forest RUUUN!!!:D

KeyWestSkipper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

'No title' was an instant dealbreaker when I was shopping. Here in California, if the legitimate owner loses the title, it's easy enough to get a dupe from the state DMV. It's a form and a small fee. If that's too much work for someone, you can imagine how much love the boat got.

Are there any acceptable or innocent scenarios for not having a title when selling a boat? I cant think of any.

toocanshan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If the person selling the boat actually owns it and he/she simply lost the title it is a simple matter for them to apply for a duplicate. If they won't do that, then I would pass on the deal.

i agree with this half. if you like the boat then buy it get a whole bunch of fiberglass and plywood and gut the thing. that looks to me like it has plenty of potetial. if the motor doesnt run fix it!! TOOCAN

CVX20SPRINT

Petty Officer 1st Class

They just past a law here in Ont. that you have to have the registration papers onboard at all times.I think probably a lot of these old boats have past through a few owners over the years and nobody ever registered them.Who knows how many people could have owned it.All I know is that there seems to be a lot of decent boats for sale(cheap) this fall and lots of them don't have any paperwork.Coincidence?

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

They just past a law here in Ont. that you have to have the registration papers onboard at all times.

I always have a copy of the registration paper in the glovebox of the boat too in a ziplock sandwich bag.