Looking for a starcraft project Boat

sjk984

Cadet
Hello

I have started to look for a project boat for the winter while I'm off of work.

I found an old starcraft ss220 down the street that the guy is looking to get rid of.

I have a few questions.

What is a V5 hull?

Do you think I can do a total restore for $5000? (just making sure that i'm way off on the budget) no including the repower.

I would like to turn it in to a CC and move the console forward to mak more fishing room in the back. I have started reading a few of the restoree threads but didn't see any conversions to CC.

Where would I get aluminum sheets pre cut to redo the gunnels after I foam them?

And I want to use the 2 part pour foam is there anything better out there?

Thanks Steve Kelly

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Looking for a starcraft project Boat

Hello

I found an old starcraft ss220 down the street that the guy is looking to get rid of.

I have a few questions.

What is a V5 hull?

Do you think I can do a total restore for $5000? (just making sure that i'm way off on the budget) no including the repower.

I would like to turn it in to a CC and move the console forward to mak more fishing room in the back. I have started reading a few of the restoree threads but didn't see any conversions to CC.

Where would I get aluminum sheets pre cut to redo the gunnels after I foam them?

Thanks Steve Kelly

$5K should do a real nice restore.

There's a few threads in the archives on converting to a CC.

Check with a roofing company that has their own sheet metal shop for the aluminum, or you can buy sheets and cut it yourself.

2 part pourable urethane foam is the best!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M30nDtZ4iys

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey Steve!

Sounds like a great thing to do.

Sounding even better now!:D

What is a V5 hull?

It has 5 chines, nice deep hull, great for bigger water like Lake Michigan/Huron and such. Great for cutting through chop.

Absolutely! Course it all depends how you spend your dough though. You can realistically do it for half that. You can just as easily spend double that.

Hmmm, I know we had a couple of starts on a CC conversion. These two come to mind at the moment...

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=351083

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=433064

No pre cut gunwales. That would be something you'd need to cut yourself or take to a fab shop.

Expanding, pour in foam is excellent stuff, great qualities. One major problem though, it doesn't drain. Do some research here on iboats and you'll find a raging foam battle waged on a regular basis. You can swing through the Sea Nymph project linked in my signature to see my opinion on pour in foam and what I ended up going with. Lot's of info on the foam in there.

Cheers:)

bryanwess2000

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll be following the thread as I want a 22' CC for the gulf, be shure to post up lots of pics. If you can post the degree deadrise at entry and transom that would help me too. I've been reading the v5 is a good offshore hull. I need a test ride in one to compare to my sfm190.
Good luck with your rebuild. Don't keep looking at classifieds after you tear into her or you might end up with 2 boats, ask me how i know.

sjk984

Cadet

I am hopping to get the boat when we go up hunting in Oct. It has a 96 merc 150. the boat has been in his pole barn for as long as I havebeen hunting with him somewhere around 1995.

jas I just spent over an houtr reading ypur thread and am looking forward to starting mine. I may try to get the boat early so I can get started.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Expanding, pour in foam is excellent stuff, great qualities. One major problem though, it doesn't drain. Do some research here on iboats and you'll find a raging foam battle waged on a regular basis. You can swing through the Sea Nymph project linked in my signature to see my opinion on pour in foam and what I ended up going with. Lot's of info on the foam in there.

Cheers:)

To quote the infamous Bond-o (no offense whatsoever intended):

"Ayah, you gotta make your own drainage!

Kinda like dis:
DSC02206.jpg

What da 'ell else you gonna drain it through... a tea strainer?"

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Just tagging along to see what happens next,......

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Grubs photo is a great example of how to drain a boat with expanding foam but it would only work if water drained from the deck directly into the center of the hull then back to the bilge. I'd guess that would only work if there were drains installed at the center of the deck and it was kept from shedding off to the sides.

Water that is shed from the deck sides would have it's path to the center blocked by the foam, bummer.

He'll be back to argue the point which is cool. Just do a bunch of reading here on iboats and you'll make an informed/intelligent decision regarding flotation.

Rock on!:)

sjk984

Cadet

I know this is debated but if I was to use pour foam.

Does anyone have any idea as to something I can use to lay on the bottom of the boat t allow drainage.

I would assume that it has got to be rigid so the expanding foam doesnt crush it.
How about a layer of the blue foam board that I see in some of the restore threads and foam on top. or do you think that thee foam will seal around this and not flow.

Thnks for all the responses I am just starting to think about everything and this seams to me the only area I am still confused on.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

to me the only area I am still confused on.

I kinda think for good reason too, the expanding foam has great qualities.

If you end up nosing through my thread I actually decided to go with it but had to back off as I couldn't get drainage under my ribs (limber holes).

I think you are on the right track considering using rigid foam to keep the expanding off the hull. That's about what I was thinking about using too.

If you can get it figured how to use expanding and still allow it to drain, you'd be a boat building stud!

The last thing you need to be aware of is expanding foam is $$$!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with eh:)