Interior bayliner Capri renovation

Honoco

Recruit
Thinking of complete interior upgrade to a 25 yr old walk thru 20 foot Bayliner. Would like to redo floor, sides, helm, seating etc. IO in good shape. Any good shops within one day drive from SYRACUSE new York,..."or material and supplies available to do myself? Any recommendations much appreciated.
Jim. On Cayuga lake.

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Interior bayliner Capri renovation

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

You are up in one of my favorite parts of the world. I take it you have a Capri 2150 Bowrider.

You would spend a fortune having a pro do this. You can use exterior=grade plywood from your local lumberyard for the bones. Fiberglass resin and cloth or mat can be purchased from many local sources. I just picked up a gallon at Lowes, for example.

Hardware can be purchased right here at iboats.

Honoco

Recruit

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

You are up in one of my favorite parts of the world. I take it you have a Capri 2150 Bowrider.

You would spend a fortune having a pro do this. You can use exterior=grade plywood from your local lumberyard for the bones. Fiberglass resin and cloth or mat can be purchased from many local sources. I just picked up a gallon at Lowes, for example.

Hardware can be purchased right here at iboats.

Thanks NYBo. Yes exactly the Capri model. big wide 8' beam and deep v hull.
I have been considering doing the rehab myself since my wife and I refiberglassed the floor about 6 years ago. one tricky part is that I would like to have a fiberglass finished floor now, no more carpet, and redo the stern area to install scuppers, on each side of the motor housing, floor level. i wonder if that has been done before.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Lots of glass decks out there, you can do it. You can roll textured paint or gelcoat on the deck. Make sure your deck is high enough above the water line before you think about scuppers. You want at least 4-6 inches of freeboard at deck level with a full load. The flappers on scuppers are only for keeping out surging water they won't hold out all the water when sitting still very well.

Honoco

Recruit

great point about the scuppers. i have at least that and more. tearing up the carpet and sanding the exisiting glass floor is doable. once sanded, can i just roll gelcoat on top of it? the sides were built out cushiony wood panels,...alll in bad shape. taking them out exposes the curved hull. i would like to square that off, and can see using the marine ply and fiberglass, but the top is thin fiberglass squared over,.....any ideas how to secure the marine ply top to the squared top hull and bottom to the floor and be rigid enough? i hate to think about going outside the hull screwing in.

NYBo

Admiral

Plan on a layer of resin and 'glass on top of the sole ("deck"); Bayliner didn't do a very good job in that area back then.

You can reupholster the side panels. I didn't have to remove mine, so I'm not sure how they attach. Look for screws hidden in the folds of the vinyl.

oldjeep

Admiral

I redid my old 1950 after we bought it. The side panels were fastened with screws in the folds and some from behind. Bought about $100 worth of Marine Vinyl from the local fabric store and some indoor outdoor carpet from menards. I just replaced the loungers with some cheap Wise replacments from JC whitney (had a coupon). Turned out decent enough for a boat that cost $2K. Lasted well enough untill the engine took a crap a couple years later and we bought a brand new one.

Few after pictures of the old boat:
http://oldjeep.com/images/Bayliner/

Would have thought that I took some before pictures but havn't found any.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

I use fiberglass strips glassed to the hull and on top of the boards, then put a couple of screws into the boards through the glass to make sure it holds to the bare wood. Prep the side of the hull good before glassing. To prep the floor for gelcoat just sand it like you would for any other glass on glass procedure.