What to do with old gas/oll mix?

DaveHawkins

Seaman
I am sure this has been bought up many times before, but I could not find any info on this from the forum search.

I have about 4 gallons of gas/oil mix that is about 6 months old and need to dispose of it. Do any of you have any suggestions on how and where to dispose of it?

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: What to do with old gas/oll mix?

I am sure this has been bought up many times before, but I could not find any info on this from the forum search.

I have about 4 gallons of gas/oil mix that is about 6 months old and need to dispose of it. Do any of you have any suggestions on how and where to dispose of it?

6 months, thats it?
Shake well and use it, if there is water in it do not shake, pour off the top 3 gallons carefully.
The water will be on the bottom.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Is there something wrong with the mix, other than it being 6 months old?

Anyway:

Household Hazardous Waste

Baseline Landfill Call (352)671-8465, Location: 5601 SE 66th Street, Ocala

What is household hazardous waste?

It is any substance which, if disposed of improperly, can have an adverse effect on the environment. Even if, in your opinion, it is a small quantity and you cannot conceive of any damage it could do; if mixed in combination with other disposals, it could have an unfortunate consequence. Those effects could be dangerous to birds or pets or even your own children.

How to dispose of household hazardous waste?

The City of Ocala will not collect any type of hazardous waste. Marion County is the authorized holder of household hazardous waste. They have a holding facility located at the same address as the Baseline Landfill, and will accept household hazardous waste from you as an individual.

Hazardous waste such as oil and other automotive fluids (pesticides, fungicides, oil-based or liquid based paints, poisons and sharp objects) must be transported by you to the Marion County Household Hazardous Waste Facility. Used oil is, however, accepted by some auto parts retailers. Please contact the County's Hazardous Waste Section at (352)671-8496 or 671-8476, Royette Batemen, to obtain more information. Hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Good grief if we up here in the tundra disposed of six month old fuel every spring there would be hundreds of thousands of gallons of perfectly good fuel being disposed of. Add some fresh fuel and appropriate amount of oil if the age thing bothers you and then use it. Six month old fuel is not "old". Contaminated six-month old fuel is a problem. Even then you can filter it to remove the water and/or sediment and still use it.

eavega

Lieutenant

Although 6 months is not "old" if stabilized, I usually run any leftover fuel in my lawn equipment (lawnmower, edger) or in my pressure washer. All those small engines seem to love the additional lubrication in the fuel.

Rgds

DaveHawkins

Seaman

Thanks for the replies. Sorry, I should have mentioned the fuel mixture was contaminated with water. The cap was accidentally left off and we had one of those flash/quick Florida rain storms. The remote tank has been just stored in my shed for the last 6 months and I would like to now use the tank on a different boat.

Is there a good way to filter off the water in the tank and still use the gas?

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Thanks for the replies. Sorry, I should have mentioned the fuel mixture was contaminated with water. The cap was accidentally left off and we had one of those flash/quick Florida rain storms. The remote tank has been just stored in my shed for the last 6 months and I would like to now use the tank on a different boat.

Is there a good way to filter off the water in the tank and still use the gas?

Put the tank in the freezer overnight, pour it out through a strainer the next day to catch the ice particles.
(or there can be a plate of ice in the bottom as well.)

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Do you have a brush pile that needs burning????????? Too bad it's contaminated. Gas for the boat/mowers around here easily sit for 6 months between seasons and run fine when stabilized properly. Snowmobile up to 9 months.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Put the tank in the freezer overnight, pour it out through a strainer the next day to catch the ice particles.
(or there can be a plate of ice in the bottom as well.)

The wife would love that!

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer

I keep old/contaminated gas like that for parts washer...

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Do you have a brush pile that needs burning????????? Too bad it's contaminated. Gas for the boat/mowers around here easily sit for 6 months between seasons and run fine when stabilized properly. Snowmobile up to 9 months.

DO NOT use gasoline on a brush pile !!!

Lakes84

Petty Officer 1st Class

DO NOT use gasoline on a brush pile !!!

I do it, but you need to be sensible about it. It does sound like one of those guys who says.... hold my beer honey, I saw this on You Tube lol.

I do like the gas in freezer trick. If its a small can that's a good idea!

UncleWillie

Captain

Kerosene or Diesel works relatively safely.

Try it with gasoline, and you'll learn why It's called playing with Fire!

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer

Molotov cocktails for the zombie apocalypse.