1990 350 magnum w alpha - overheating

arriva2450

Cadet
I have a 90 arriva 2450 with a 5.7 magnum and alpha leg. I know it is late in the season but I only got to launch and use it for the first time this season a few days ago.

After running for about 5 minutes I noticed it ran rough and low power and noticed it was overheated. Turned it off and let cool for a few hours. Started it up and now within a minute it starts to exceed 200 (more like 220).

I put in a new impeller last season so doubt that it is. So did some reading a to play with the tstat housing but this is where I'm lost. I have a 6 port housing (2 big hoses and 4 smaller ones; the two smaller ones trhat lead to the exhaust risers have the ball springs). Here are my questions:

1) I believe the big hose on the right (look down on engine from within boat) is the main input. I disconnected this hose and fired up engine for a few seconds. It did have a constant flow but nothing like a garden hose. Is this normal - should I have had a large flow of water. If so I suspect this means my impeller is likely no good. Please confirm.

2) Can someone provide me a brief description of where the other hoses are go (which direction the flow is, where it comes from and where it goes to). I believe the other big hose (on the left) goes to the lower engine, and then the engine pushes the water to the tstat housing where the water then flow out the 4 smaller hoses - 2 go to the manifolds for cooling and the other 2 go to the riser/exhaust. Is this correct?? Oh, what about the hole on the bottom of the housing at connects to the hole on the engine - is this where the tstat opens and closes to allow water into the top of the engine???

3) I removed the 2 bolts holding the tstat housing, and removed the tstat. Being that it is an enclosed unit, I thought to fire up the engine to see if the constant stream of water coming into the housing was making its way around back to the housing so it could feed the other hoses. So I fired it up (while the housing was disconncted from the engine and with the intake hose attached again) and did not see any water flowing? Should I have not seen some water flowing around??? Oh, I did see though that water within the engine was rising (at the hole where the housing attaches to the engine???

4) I notice that when I fire it up (for 5 to 10 seconds) that I see a constant small flow (1mm) leaking somewhere below the manifold on the right side. After engine stopped, this leaking continues for up to another 5 minutes and then eventually stops. Any ideas??? Hopefully this does not suggest a cracked block or something?

Based on the above, I'd appreciate any advice of what my problem might be. Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1990 350 magnum w alpha - overheating

I have a 90 arriva 2450 with a 5.7 magnum and alpha leg. I know it is late in the season but I only got to launch and use it for the first time this season a few days ago.

After running for about 5 minutes I noticed it ran rough and low power and noticed it was overheated. Turned it off and let cool for a few hours. Started it up and now within a minute it starts to exceed 200 (more like 220).

I put in a new impeller last season so doubt that it is. So did some reading a to play with the tstat housing but this is where I'm lost. I have a 6 port housing (2 big hoses and 4 smaller ones; the two smaller ones trhat lead to the exhaust risers have the ball springs). Here are my questions:

1) I believe the big hose on the right (look down on engine from within boat) is the main input. I disconnected this hose and fired up engine for a few seconds. It did have a constant flow but nothing like a garden hose. Is this normal - should I have had a large flow of water. If so I suspect this means my impeller is likely no good. Please confirm.

2) Can someone provide me a brief description of where the other hoses are go (which direction the flow is, where it comes from and where it goes to). I believe the other big hose (on the left) goes to the lower engine, and then the engine pushes the water to the tstat housing where the water then flow out the 4 smaller hoses - 2 go to the manifolds for cooling and the other 2 go to the riser/exhaust. Is this correct?? Oh, what about the hole on the bottom of the housing at connects to the hole on the engine - is this where the tstat opens and closes to allow water into the top of the engine???

3) I removed the 2 bolts holding the tstat housing, and removed the tstat. Being that it is an enclosed unit, I thought to fire up the engine to see if the constant stream of water coming into the housing was making its way around back to the housing so it could feed the other hoses. So I fired it up (while the housing was disconncted from the engine and with the intake hose attached again) and did not see any water flowing? Should I have not seen some water flowing around??? Oh, I did see though that water within the engine was rising (at the hole where the housing attaches to the engine???

4) I notice that when I fire it up (for 5 to 10 seconds) that I see a constant small flow (1mm) leaking somewhere below the manifold on the right side. After engine stopped, this leaking continues for up to another 5 minutes and then eventually stops. Any ideas??? Hopefully this does not suggest a cracked block or something?

Based on the above, I'd appreciate any advice of what my problem might be. Thanks

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,..... #1),... Change the impeller, 'n it's housing....

#4),... LOOK, 'n SEE where it's leakin',..... We can't.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Welcome to iboats..... now breath

first, as Bond-o pointed out, replace the impeller and housing.

second, any leak is not a good thing. hopefully you only forgot to put the plugs back in after winterizing. if not, you will find out shortly when you take a good look.

here is a generic V8/Alpha cooling system diagram http://inlinethumb64.webshots.com/47423/2319165850036967934S600x600Q85.jpg

arriva2450

Cadet

Thanks for the replies guys.

Did a little testing today now that the boat is back on the trailer.

I disconnected the main water inlet hose at housing and attached a garden hose. Turned on engine and hose and water was pouring out like crazy from two small ports at the bottom of the gimbal (neat the leg). Dumb question, but are these ports where the water is supposed to exit?? I always thought it exited at the leg kind of like the exhaust?

Anyway, if these two small exit ports are correct, then that proves the water pump (impeller) was not producing enough pressure to circulate through the engine (as I tested it again with ust the impeller, no garden hose, and sure enough only the odd spit from those exit ports at the gimbal).

I will replace the impeller in the next few days and provide an update.

The only unknown now is why I have/had a leak near the right manifold? When doing the garden hose trick, I could not verify if I still had it as water was squirting everywhere since I did not have a proper hose adapter for the garden hose so it was loose into the port. Could the leak have been due to the impeller only providing a small amount of water into the engine??? I'm likely dreaming, but I can always hope tht was the cause? Anyone have any other common reasons why I would have a leak? BTW - looking and seeing where the leak is from is not that easy. I've poked my head as low as I could under the engine and still could not see the source. I'm afraid I may need to start removing parts (ie. riser, manifold) to find it, so that is why I'm trying to narrow it out (cause I've never removed those parts and would rather not have to) unless I know for sure I have no choice.

Thanks

thumpar

Admiral

It is normal for water to come out near the transom. There are relief ports there.

arriva2450

Cadet

It is normal for water to come out near the transom. There are relief ports there.

What are relief ports - are these only for when too much water is circulating through the engine, or is still where the water is supposed to exit? Is any water suppose to exit out the exhaust?

Thanks