Rebuild or replace?

Ok I have a 4.3 v6 alpha one mercruiser that as of now i Think its just the head gasket blown but untill its outa the boat I do not know the full extent of the damage..I was thinking just buy a new one but shoot all i can find is 4k dollar engines lol I mean shoot Id rather have a machine shop rebuild mine if its possible...my question is am i looking in the right place 4k for an engine? or is it possible to swap a 4.3 chevy engine in its place? I figured it be differnt seeings how the marine engine is water cooled... I dunno any and all advice will be greatly appreiated.....

Knightgang

Lieutenant
Re: Rebuild or replace?

If the block is good, rebuild. It is a Checy Block, but there are several things that are different to make it a marine engine. You already have those items and unless they are corroded or not reconditionable, it would be even more expensive. I suggest rebuild. If it is just a headgasket, may not even need to do that...

ok cool. all engine parts appear in good order. so any recommendations as to were i should pick a rebuild kit up at? its a chevy block so could i use a 4.3 rebuild kit lets say from napa? another question, lets say the block is bad or the head is warped or suntn, will my gearbox mount to any chevy 4.3? i apologise if i am asking silly questions......im hooked on getting this boat finished

TilliamWe

Banned

Ok I have a 4.3 v6 alpha one mercruiser that as of now i Think its just the head gasket blown but untill its outa the boat I do not know the full extent of the damage.....

What makes you think it's a headgasket? Is it because it keeps filling up cylinder(s) with water?
If that is why, it's probably exhaust manifold/riser failure, not headgasket failure.

TilliamWe

Banned

It still may be an exhaust manifold issue. I would take them off before I pulled the whole motor. But that's just me. Also, intake manifold crack is possible. Water in oil is not the first sign of a blown headgasket. An empty radiator is, but since boats don't have them you can't tell.

IES99

Petty Officer 1st Class

It still may be an exhaust manifold issue. I would take them off before I pulled the whole motor. But that's just me. Also, intake manifold crack is possible. Water in oil is not the first sign of a blown headgasket. An empty radiator is, but since boats don't have them you can't tell.

Water in oil on these is much more likely to be due to exhaust manifold problems than a head gasket. These are maintenance items. Look there first. There is plenty of information on this forum to guide you.

Best of luck.

ok, i read the replies( FREAKN SUPER QUICK BTW!!) went to the garage were my poor little vessel is hangn out and this is what i found out. i only have a car battery but it is anew one. I hooked it up and turned the key ( IM not trying to start it merely trying to get it to crank) the starter made a jackhammer noise, almost like it wasnt getting enough juice so i hooked my trailblazer to the battery and tried it and again the same sound but louder, i then hooked the jumper cables up to the starter and then my pumps kicked on and when i tried again the starter free spun......i dunno im going to take a good video of it 2mrrw and maybe we can tell more from there

fyrfightr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You probably have water in one or more of the cylinders causing a hydrolock. You have now damaged the starter and ring gear by trying to crank it. Pull all the spark plugs out and turn the engine over by hand using a wrench on the crank bolt.

tricone

Cadet

Buddy what are you doing.....
now you will have to pull the engine!!!!!!!
a couple more posts and you would probably changing riser gaskets and changin oil

Buddy what are you doing.....
now you will have to pull the engine!!!!!!!
a couple more posts and you would probably changing riser gaskets and changin oil

lol ok i took all plugs out and tried to turn it by hand....wont budge 1 cylinder had water in it....so it seems its locked up

TilliamWe

Banned

lol ok i took all plugs out and tried to turn it by hand....wont budge 1 cylinder had water in it....so it seems its locked up

How long did you leave it like that? You really should not leave water in a cylinder for more than a day. Less than that if it's salt water.
Spray some lubricant in the cylinders and then try again the next day to turn it over.

You broke the bendix on your starter by trying to start a hydro-locked engine.

I hate to say I told you so, so I'll just say, remember that with water cooled exhaust, marine engines do things that car/truck engines do not. Like fill up cylinders with water when the manifolds leak internally. I will bet you $.25 that your original problem was a failed exhaust manifold. But it would seem like now you do have to remove the engine, to rebuild or replace it.

lol i didnt break anything.....starter still is doing the same thing it did when i got it ...and i refuse to bealieve my 4 times trying to crank it broke anything else.....the idiots i got it from 2 days ago need slapped with a hammer.any one gota 4.3 laying around?

fuzzybob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Some posters here have reported good results with rapido out of Fl. You should be able to get a long block delivered for under 1500$. New manifolds and risers bout 500$. If your bolt ons are good and you can do the work yourself you'll have a new engine for about 2 grand. I hope the outdrive is in better shape. Welcome to iboats and good luck on your project.

Some posters here have reported good results with rapido out of Fl. You should be able to get a long block delivered for under 1500$. New manifolds and risers bout 500$. If your bolt ons are good and you can do the work yourself you'll have a new engine for about 2 grand. I hope the outdrive is in better shape. Welcome to iboats and good luck on your project.

yeah outdrive seems fine so far hydraulics etc i dnt know about any joints or anything yet.. im gona get me a long block and new manifolds. Thanks for all of the replies I am restoring a 18ft mach1 bowrider the stringers are alum or glass so its a perfect canidate for a restore...im going all out so i dont wanna slack on something this critical....plus i want a reliable vessel for seasons of boating pleasure to come

fuzzybob

Petty Officer 1st Class

You could do a search on this forum for rapido for more info on them. I would also suggest you go to the "Adults Only" sticky at the top of this forum and down load the oem service manual for your engine... it's free!! While there get the one for your outdrive too. You'll also find a ton of important info there.

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer

I have a brand new 2009 4.3 marine engine with a four barrel manifold and carb sitting in my shop. I paid 2500.$ I bought this before I checked out my engine more carefully. Find out your problem first.

I have a brand new 2009 4.3 marine engine with a four barrel manifold and carb sitting in my shop. I paid 2500.$ I bought this before I checked out my engine more carefully. Find out your problem first.

ok thanks alot bud

Druff1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just bought a 4.3 from Rapido.com. $1450 shipped to my door. Runs very smooth. It was my first time swaping out a motor, and it couldn't of went any easier.