Painting a plywood epoxy sailboat

shelman

Cadet
I have heard people talking about using Valspar tractor paint and hardener for their top coats for a cheaper alternative (has any on been unhappy with it?). Also was wondering what primer I should use over epoxy?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Painting a plywood epoxy sailboat

Welcome to iboats.

We have a member here that does allot of high end painting and repaires. I have asked him to pop in on this thread to lend you some primer advice ;) Please be patient.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I have heard people talking about using Valspar tractor paint and hardener for their top coats for a cheaper alternative (has any on been unhappy with it?). Also was wondering what primer I should use over epoxy?

Welcome to Iboats Shelman :) ..

There are some that swear by it .. there are others that never used it ..

I personally dont know anything about the tractor paint(s).

Epoxy can basically be primed and painted in a number of ways depending on the application.

What is your application .. are you doing a full blown paint job .. or a spot thing ..

Full Blown out paint job will require safety and regulation.

Pics ?

YD.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Thanks YD

I was concerned since it is already epoxied I was thinking of the bond. Would an epoxy surface be better served with an epoxy primer over a sanded surface with a mechanical bond or is there a primer that would chemically bond?

I know when I paint cars I use an epoxy sealer/primer and I have to apply the base coat within less than 24 hrs or be forced to sand the surface. I also know epoxy does not sand nicely.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I was concerned since it is already epoxied I was thinking of the bond. Would an epoxy surface be better served with an epoxy primer over a sanded surface with a mechanical bond or is there a primer that would chemically bond?

Nothing will chemically bond to it now that the epoxy is cured.

A two part epoxy primer would be best. I dont know if a one part rattle can or roll primer would cure out properly over the epoxy. I have seen some weird reactions from coating over epoxy other then epoxy. I dont know why though.

So for your question .. yes you have to sand and clean the epoxy for any primer to stick ( epoxy or not ).

In fact there is no primer/surface that I dont sand or at least scuff. Well..aside from Plastic primer but thats different ;) .

YD.

shelman

Cadet

My boat is all new construction so i will need to paint every thing. I plan on spraying the out side and rolling the inside." I am also considering using "blue water marine mega gloss" which is a cheap polyurethane enamel, or I have heard great things about Rust-Oleum top side which is a good alkyd enamel. not sure which on is better (a cheep polyurethane or a good alkyd enamel). I'lltry to get some pics soon.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

My boat is all new construction so i will need to paint every thing. I plan on spraying the out side and rolling the inside." I am also considering using "blue water marine mega gloss" which is a cheap polyurethane enamel, or I have heard great things about Rust-Oleum top side which is a good alkyd enamel. not sure which on is better (a cheep polyurethane or a good alkyd enamel). I'lltry to get some pics soon.

I would call up both companies and ask them if the product is 'buffable'.

The one part Blue Water Gloss is an enamel polythane. They do sell a two part acrylic thane ( IMHO MUCH better ). Basically its Imron or Awlcraft 2000 line of paints.

YD.