Troublshooting Johnson 115 h.p. 1998 w optical ignition

Crispy

Cadet
I recieved my SELOC manual from iboats. I began to troubleshoot yesterday. Following test procedures, I started with the "stop circuit"test. When I pulled the Packard wire harness from power pack, I got no spark on any plugs. (I am using 4 in-line spark testers.) Am I correct in pulling the 4-wire harness from power pack? On page 4-13 item #3 states:....but only with the blk/yellow lead disconnected. Do I need to isolated the blk/yellow lead by itself, or is it the proper way to test stop circuit by simply pulling off the 4-wire harness from port side of power pack?

Secondly, I tested the power coil.
One question here is: I borrowed an FLUKE dvom. Is this the meter that I can use to measure peak-voltage values. I assume it is. I followed procedures as outlined in manual. I get no voltage on either of the orange leads when going to ground. I also get no voltage when going across orange/orange-tracer. When I did an ohm reading I got no resistance from brown leads to ground. But I did get 52ohms when I went across the orange leads.

So, what should be my next step since I did not get any voltage when I measured the two orange leads upon cranking. Also I cannot to any testing on the optical sensor, since that requires a OMC ignition analyzer.

Finally I tested the ignition coils. I disconnected the timing sensor plug. I removed the primary and secondary (plug) wires then I checked resistance to ground and resistance between primary post and high tension lead post. I got nothing. Can it be possible for the coil pack to all go bad. The malfuncion was that I was returning from fishing when my motor just quit running.
Sorry for long post but I had a long day of troubleshooting.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Crispy

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Troublshooting Johnson 115 h.p. 1998 w optical ignition

Disconnect the port connecter on pack (4 or 5 wire) and test if still no fire ohm stator wires(brown colored) and you should see 450-650 ohms. Cook meter to power coils wires and crank engine ,you should have 12 volts and up. Also disconnect rectifier and test to see if its starts firing. From what you have posted so far it looks like stator took a dump. If this is the case replace rectifier also.

jonesg

Admiral

I recieved my SELOC manual from iboats. I began to troubleshoot yesterday. Following test procedures, I started with the "stop circuit"test. When I pulled the Packard wire harness from power pack, I got no spark on any plugs. (I am using 4 in-line spark testers.) Am I correct in pulling the 4-wire harness from power pack? On page 4-13 item #3 states:....but only with the blk/yellow lead disconnected. Do I need to isolated the blk/yellow lead by itself, or is it the proper way to test stop circuit by simply pulling off the 4-wire harness from port side of power pack?

Secondly, I tested the power coil.
One question here is: I borrowed an FLUKE dvom. Is this the meter that I can use to measure peak-voltage values. I assume it is. I followed procedures as outlined in manual. I get no voltage on either of the orange leads when going to ground. I also get no voltage when going across orange/orange-tracer. When I did an ohm reading I got no resistance from brown leads to ground. But I did get 52ohms when I went across the orange leads.

So, what should be my next step since I did not get any voltage when I measured the two orange leads upon cranking. Also I cannot to any testing on the optical sensor, since that requires a OMC ignition analyzer.

Finally I tested the ignition coils. I disconnected the timing sensor plug. I removed the primary and secondary (plug) wires then I checked resistance to ground and resistance between primary post and high tension lead post. I got nothing. Can it be possible for the coil pack to all go bad. The malfuncion was that I was returning from fishing when my motor just quit running.
Sorry for long post but I had a long day of troubleshooting.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Crispy

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mari...Z230353556405QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

You can get around needing the OMC ignition tester.
http://www.maxrules.com/fixomcoisignition.html

Crispy

Cadet

I am narrowing my ignition problem down to what I feel is the Stator assembly. My values on the power coil test are:
from orange/orange tracer to ground, no voltage. According to notes this means I have no short in power coil and or wiring.
I also did an ohm reading on the brown leads to ground, there I read open. No continuity.

Next the power coil cranking output. I read the two inside, orange/orange tracer leads, no voltage. I should have had min. 50vdc. Next I ohmed the same conductors and had 52ohms resistance. That is within specs.
Conclusion:
No voltage on the crank test

Next I tested the charge coil.
I did a cranking test on the brown/brown tracer to ground. No voltage. That would tell me that the charge coil is not shorted, or wireing.
I ohmed the same conductors, no continuity. Telling me no short to ground.
I did a cranking test on the brown/brown tracer and no voltage, here there should be 250vdc. I got none.
Finally an ohm reading across the brown leads and no resistance. I should of had 1,000-1,200

Am I correct in saying that the Stator assembly is roached. I did take machine to shop and had the optical timing sensor checked and it checked out fine. The only other thought was to test the power pack, once I make a load adapter.

PS. one of the posters suggested that I replace the reg/rect tray as well. I was wondering why? Since this part is around $200.00 Is there a way to test that component first? Not being contrair, just wondering.

Thanks a lot!! I'm learning more about my motor than I ever thought I would!!