Fuel draining from carb back to fuel pump

Captmn

Cadet
I purchased a 1972 Evinrude Yachtwin 4hp. I had to replace the fuel line to the carb and used a clear tubing rated for fuel. Only thing of correct diameter available at the time. Having trouble getting the motor to run. Note it ran when I purchased it a few days ago at the sellers house. After pumping the fuel bulb until firm and pulling it over a few times I see the fuel draining back to the fuel pump. I checked the connections on the fuel line and noticed that if I pump the fuel bulb then disconnect the fuel line from the motor, the fuel doesn't drain to the fuel pump after pulling it over. The fuel line is brand new so I'm not sure what's causing it. I also Teflon taped the male connector and reinserted it into the tank but that made no difference. Could the female end on a new hose be slightly different in design and not fit snugly on the male connector on the engine? I did notice a bit of play between the two connectors. The male connector on the engine looks in good shape with no obvious signs of wear.

Any help would be appreciated.

Oh and a second issue, the throttle level keeps moving from start to stop when I pull it over hard. Is there a way to fix this other than holding the lever as I pull

Thanks
Steve

Haffiman

Commander
Re: Fuel draining from carb back to fuel pump

The valves in the fuel pump are shot!
The throttle may 'move' due to magnetic force from flywheel pulling the coils on the armature plate.

Captmn

Cadet

The valves in the fuel pump are shot!
The throttle may 'move' due to magnetic force from flywheel pulling the coils on the armature plate.

I'll replace the fuel pump. I'm going to look into replacing the throttle bushing to see if that improves things

Thank you for your advice Commander
Steve

Captmn

Cadet

I'll replace the fuel pump. I'm going to look into replacing the throttle bushing to see if that improves things

Thank you for your advice Commander
Steve

Commander,
Just getting back to say the engine is running strong after the carb and fuel pump rebuild. Thanks again

Steve

Rick.

Captain

Great news. And did you get the throttle tightened up? Best of luck. Rick.

Haffiman

Commander

Normally the only way to prevent throttle from 'moving' is to add a friction clamp at the handle. Common on the commercial engines.