Boating Newbie - what to look for

johnfak

Cadet
Hi all
Looking at buying a boat.
Something similar to a Glastron 23-26ft. Just due to layout and pricing.

I know NOTHING about boats or engines. I have been on quite a few - but never owned one. I have some diesel mechanical aptitude - I do all my own work on my truck.

When looking to puchase a boat - what things should I consider apart from MPG (fuel consumption), cost of puchase , age and general condition.
What tests (compression ?) can I do that are worth the money and surveys of the hull etc ??

Any other advice ?

cr2k

Captain
Re: Boating Newbie - what to look for

Compression and spark absolute minimum for an outboard. Sea trial for anything. Was it winterized or left full of water to freeze and crack things like manifolds and block? Drive bellows it is in good shape? oil level? water in oil? Check, warm it up and check again. Check outdrive oil. Milky? Course metal pieces? Hours are not as much concern as maintenance.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

How old are the boats you're considering? More than about 5-10 years old and you've got some additional considerations.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Ok good. That generally should limit your exposure to the two biggest potential pitfalls with used fiberglass boats which is obsolete powerplants and rot in the wooden components of the hull. However there's still certainly a chance a newer boat could have rot issues from a failed through hull or the like so you should still check carefully. Good luck with your search.

jkust

Rear Admiral

In that size range, Glastron provides decent value for the money given it isn't an expensive brand. I certainly wouldn't give MPG's a second thought in boating generally and especially not in the size you are suggesting. Whatever price you ultimately pay for a boat is just the price of admission. The ongoing hot dogs and beer are just part of boating life.

johnfak

Cadet

thanks guys !!!
yeah on the mpg thats a good point - I dont ever worry about it with my truck anymore - I just enjoy the truck more than the extra cost for what it does - same with boat I guess :)

Do these boats generally have a secondary engine (outboard ?) for getting back to dock if engine issues - or do I need to factor that one in also ?

jkust

Rear Admiral

thanks guys !!!
yeah on the mpg thats a good point - I dont ever worry about it with my truck anymore - I just enjoy the truck more than the extra cost for what it does - same with boat I guess :)

Do these boats generally have a secondary engine (outboard ?) for getting back to dock if engine issues - or do I need to factor that one in also ?

Well if i'm on the ocean, I'd ensure I had a secondary but since I'm just on MN lakes it isn't common by any means.