Ok... which outdrive is it...

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I looked thru some of the resources here, I've looked at pics from a google image search, Im still not sure which outdrive I have.

The boat is assumed to be a 1970 Stardust Cruiser. Its somewhere around 1970, I just don't have any paperwork that can tell me for sure.

Its got a MerCruiser 165hp I-6 engine, which I understand is a GM engine, and any reference to the lower unit is usually 'MerCruiser 165', but again, I can't get a solid lock on that when searching online.

Keeping the surface corrosion down was not a priority for the previous owners, so even places that should have the s/n stamped in it are corroded to the point of being unreadable.

If I post a pic or two, could someone be able to ID this for me?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Ok... which outdrive is it...

Post the pictures.

Too many timess there have been OMC outdrives with Mercruiser engines in them.

jtybt

merc's would be black. Type I would have a lifting loop in the top cap.

ziggy

Admiral

merc's would be black
while true, i've seen folks that paint their omc's black so others 'think' they have a mercruiser....

post up a pic so everyone can see..

Keeping the surface corrosion down was not a priority for the previous owners, so even places that should have the s/n stamped in it are corroded to the point of being unreadable.
don't know if this helps, but on an old mercrusier, i think the only place there's a s/n is on the mercrusier sticker on the upper of the drive. it's also under the sticker stamped into the upper housing.. like this..
IMG_2672.jpg

s/n on the sticker on a 75 1 drive..

IMG_2671.jpg

s/n under the sticker stamped into the housing on a 72 1 drive. look close to see the number where the paint is scratched off at. the number was not visible with the paint still on the drive...
both with 165hp L6 engines..
If I post a pic or two, could someone be able to ID this for me?
most likely so..

soggy_feet

Thats the first place I looked Ziggy, but I expected the stamped number to sit right below the stickered number. Maybe a little more scraping will reveal it.

More reason to find out which drive it is.. and by what you guys say it seems like it would be a I, is that I just noticed tonight that the output shaft on the lower unit is bent.

Well, when you pay $3900 for a 40' boat, I guess you can't expect it to be without its problems...

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t190/AchtungTT/23b148c0.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t190/AchtungTT/4f9d742d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Don S

It's probably the 165 outdrive, (aka one drive). At least that is what it looks like, and that would have been the OEM drive for that engine.
Go up to the Adults Only sticky at the top of the forum and download the OEM service manual for your engine and drive. Manual #1 covers both engine and drive, along with trim and accessories.

soggy_feet

thanks, one big hurdle out of the way!

BTW, what size pic would be acceptable?

Know it can be a burden on slow connections but easier to tell what your looking at with a big pic rather than a small one. Especially for me, Im dealing with a 9" screen on a tiny laptop.

Don S

Know it can be a burden on slow connections but easier to tell what your looking at with a big pic rather than a small one. Especially for me, Im dealing with a 9" screen on a tiny laptop

If you want big pictuers, just leave them as a clickable link, don't post them as an image.
When your pictures are posted, you have to scroll side to side to read any and all of the posts. That makes most just walk away and not read or reply.

jtybt

Man that drive looks big. Might be an early TR series drive.

Maybe just my perspective...but if it's on a 40' boat, it would make sense to have the big drive.

Does it have a tranny between the engine/bellhousing and transom/ It would be about 10" long.

Don S

It's a One drive, not a TR or TRS. A TR didn't exist till 73, and not on 165 engines.

Where did you see it was a 40' boat ????????

ziggy

Admiral

here's a place ya can help confirm ya got a 1 drive... http://www.mercstuff.com/drive_id.htm

looks real similar to my drive i think. looks like the top covers been off before though, looks like cap screws instead of the 12pt drive bolts that come from mercruiser. interesting too. a vent screw on the starboard side? is that what i'm seeing? + the vent screw on the port side..... hum, just went downstairs and looked at my 75. i could almost believe that there's a screw under what looks like just a boss. maybe a filled in screw... interesting..

bummer about the bent propshaft... bet that's expensive... if it'll work, i think it might. ya might look into a sei lower if it becomes cost prohibitive to replace the bent propshaft.

yep, i think take more paint off to see the number too. the pic does my s/n justice. when looking at it in person, it's not real visible.

on your photobucket account, when your doing pics. ya can edit the size. find edit. look for the size that says for bulletin boards i believe. they come out the size i posted up.

Where did you see it was a 40' boat ????????
right after my post w/the pics. last statement..

jtybt

I was thinking there was an early version of the TR/TRS drive. The lower case and prop looked huge:rolleyes:

ziggy

Admiral

The lower case and prop looked huge
i think it may be the flat pitch prop he's got on it to push that large boat that makes it look different..

soggy_feet

Does it have a tranny between the engine/bellhousing and transom/ It would be about 10" long.

Nope, no tranny.

ooks like the top covers been off before though, looks like cap screws instead of the 12pt drive bolts that come from mercruiser. interesting too. a vent screw on the starboard side? is that what i'm seeing? + the vent screw on the port side

bummer about the bent propshaft... bet that's expensive... if it'll work, i think it might. ya might look into a sei lower if it becomes cost prohibitive to replace the bent propshaft.

Yeah, somebodys been monkeying around. Those are philips head screws holding the top cap down. Im gonna need an impact driver if I ever want to get those loose. No leverage!
Also, the vent screws... port side says 'Fill', starboard says 'Vent'. Open them both up and you can look straight thru. I still fill from the drain though. :)

Oh, and the prop shaft... Hopefully not too pricy. I do all my own work, can't afford to have a shop do it actually. New to boats, but not to turnin' wrenches!

Thanks for the photobucket advice, and the merc link.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

The screws in the top cap are perfectly normal. The 12 points came later.

ziggy

Admiral

Also, the vent screws... port side says 'Fill', starboard says 'Vent'. Open them both up and you can look straight thru.
:eek: learn something new everyday i guess. next time i got my vent screw out i'll have to look straight through and see if i see the end of a vent screw.
on the other hand. seems like i remember dons or the like talking of some of the early mercruisers that had separate oil compartments for the upper and lower. i wonder... just looked at my drive. says oil vent on the port side. just the boss on the starboard side. what makes me wonder is your wording of fill and vent. that would be confusing since yer supposed to fill from the drain. ???? something may be up and yer gonna need someone with more info than i got. did ya find a s/n. maybe that'd help. you got a vent screw for the lower too? i was just reading about that on pp 6A4 s/m 1. something needs to be clarified still.. ???
as for the propshaft. i believe i've read about the possibility of straightening it back to tolerance. think someone said they used a big press and got it back to tolerance... ??? just food for thought from something i remember reading before. ya should read your service manual #1 real close as for servicing it. while the parts may be expensive, the tools to do the deed may be more than the parts.. again, just food for thought. the service manual is your friend and i'm convinced that following the s/m to the letter is the best way and maybe only way for drive serviceing to be succesfull..

soggy_feet

I totally stripped away the side stickers, and there is nothing stamped under them. :(

Also, scored a hardcopy manual (2 actually). Service Manual #1, Stern Drive Units and Marine Engines - Book 1, sections 1 thru 5, Book 2- 6 thru 9.

Stopped the downloads, they were taking longer than I had time for, hope its the same as what I was downloading, seems like it should be.

Did some reading about the fill/vent plugs...

Fill from empty is done thru the drain, but the vent plug can be opened if you need to 'top off'. So, top off from the 'Fill', and watch the 'Vent' to see when its full.

I did the oil and impeller in the spring when I bought the boat, since I didnt know when either had been done last, filled from the drain until it came out of the 'Fill'.

Check out pp1C-10 S/M 1

When it comes to specialized tools... we'll see what I can come up with. Pretty good at making the less precise stuff, probably able to track down the fancy stuff to borrow. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Matt

Don S

Also, scored a hardcopy manual (2 actually). Service Manual #1, Stern Drive Units and Marine Engines - Book 1, sections 1 thru 5, Book 2- 6 thru 9.

Those are the exact same manuals as the downloads.

Fill from empty is done thru the drain, but the vent plug can be opened if you need to 'top off'. So, top off from the 'Fill', and watch the 'Vent' to see when its full.

If for some strange reason you need to top off, DON'T !!
You have a leak. Time to find it before you loose the upper gears to low gear lube.
Don't forget, those manuals are 30 some years old. Things have changed and been learined since day one of those Mercruisers manuals.

soggy_feet

Ha, I DO need to top off!
Drained the old oil last weekend, thought I had enough to refill, but I guessed wrong. Need probably a 1/4 qt more.
Good news is, no leaks. When I drained the old oil I removed the vent first and the old stuff started dribbling out from there before I got the drain removed.