Best way to lift sterndrive during reinstall

toolman4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I finally got time to install the sterndrive. I have a cherry picker and watched videos that looked like they hooked through the top in the gap on the sterndrive but used the sterndrive lift. Do you use a special hook or is there a better method. I aligned everything already and know I have to rotate prop a little during install. Everything is greased for easy slide. Do you install the round rubber gasket in the bellow or put it on the drive right away? I will be doing it by myself so any suggestions would be great.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Best way to lift sterndrive during reinstall

I finally got time to install the sterndrive. I have a cherry picker and watched videos that looked like they hooked through the top in the gap on the sterndrive but used the sterndrive lift. Do you use a special hook or is there a better method. I aligned everything already and know I have to rotate prop a little during install. Everything is greased for easy slide. Do you install the round rubber gasket in the bellow or put it on the drive right away? I will be doing it by myself so any suggestions would be great.

Ayuh,.... I run up the jack on the trailer, so's I can just rock the outdrive on the skeg to install it....

I also use a bungee cord, 'round the propshaft to the cav-plate to hold tension on forward gear,...

Keeps it from poppin' into neutral...

Oshkosh1

Ensign

I lift it myself...an Alpha one...not too heavy.

I actually get the boat a little "nose low" then rest it on the skeg, guide the shaft in then simply "push" it in. The weight is always on the floor so it doesn't actually require any real "lifting" of the unit as a whole(except carrying from the bench), more of a balancing act/rocking/walking motion. If the splines are not aligned, I simply back it out and rotate the u-joint a tiny bit. I grease up the splines and the housing...add a drop of OIL(no grease) to the O-rings and it slides in fairly easy.

ziggy

Admiral

i remove and install by myself. i use a home made drive stand. like Bond-o, i jack up the trailer too. so it meets the height of the drive on it's stand. then slide together. my stand has no wheels as i have a white rock driveway to work on. i install w/o the prop on. i spin the prop shaft ccw and lock it into fwd. once there, it seems to stay there.

toolman4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will have to look at some pictures to make a homemade stand and use the front jack method to get the right height. Bungee the prop sounds good. Do you guys use anything to keep the shift cable upright and then you just have to get it started right. Are you always supposed to remove the prop when romoving and installing the sterndrive? Should I use anything on the large gasket or just install it dry?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

I use wood to space it to the correct height ,then push it on. remember to prelube the impeller beacuse your turmimg the prop backwards in fwd to line up the splines .
Also you use bellows adhesive, contact cement, etc. to glue that rubber ring in place first.

TimeZone

Seaman Apprentice

... I grease up the splines and the housing...add a drop of OIL(no grease) to the O-rings and it slides in fairly easy.

Curious...Why oil and not grease?
Merc manual specifies lubing the O-rings with 2-4-C.

Oshkosh1

Ensign

The oil or grease is there just to allow it to slide into the gimbal bearing. The rings will need to compress and if a little too much grease is applied it will be tougher to "squeeze" through.

Oh...and one of the "ancient mariner" marine techs(40+ years working on boats) at the local merc shop told me to coat the whole shaft with a thin coat of grease...but OIL where the bearing surface/o-rings mate when I went and bought the gasket set.

Probably not an issue as long as the grease is used very sparingly...the oil works for me.

toolman4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep I read greese on the o - rings too? The impeller and sterndrive are all together already so I won't be able to greese the impeller hope that will still work. Can I install the large rubber gasket on the sterndrive right away instead of in the bellow area?

Oshkosh1

Ensign

Can I install the large rubber gasket on the sterndrive right away instead of in the bellow area?

Glue it INSIDE the bellhousing...not ON the upper unit casing.

You run the chance of tearing/twisting it when installing the drive. If it's inside there's little chance of a bad seal as it never moves.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Can I install the large rubber gasket on the sterndrive right away instead of in the bellow area?
Do you guys use anything to keep the shift cable upright and then you just have to get it started right.
I will have to look at some pictures to make a homemade stand

No. Put some bellows adhesive on the rubber gasket and insert into bellows and press it down all the way around; wait a few minutes.

The pros don't need to use the shift slide stabilizer tool; but I certainly use it. Part #91-865232.

I paid the $10 and bought a Harbor Freight small dolley with wheels that has a 1000 pound capacity and built one of my drive stands based around that so it is not only a stand, it rolls right under the drive and the drive slides off on carpeted 2 x 6.

As the others mentioned, have the prop/shaft secured ccw.

BTW: compared to the weight of a Bravo 3 like my Sea Ray has, an alpha is much easier to manhandle.

Mark

Oshkosh1

Ensign

The pros don't need to use the shift slide stabilizer tool; but I certainly use it. Part #91-865232.

Or...as Don S suggested...and works great...a good "glob" of grease to hold things in place.;)

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I will have to look at some pictures to make a homemade stand and use the front jack method to get the right height. Bungee the prop sounds good. Do you guys use anything to keep the shift cable upright and then you just have to get it started right. Are you always supposed to remove the prop when romoving and installing the sterndrive? Should I use anything on the large gasket or just install it dry?

I don't lift mine. Roll it up, adjust the trailer jack so all meets properly and slide her in.

Drive Stand 2.JPG

toolman4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the replies. Makes the install for me go much smoother. I love this forum for the information and help it has given me during my motor swap!

toolman4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That looks slick and a decent price. would it need any mods to make it work?

woosterken

Lieutenant

i wouldnt think so , other than maybe a rubber strap to hold the out drive?

ken

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That looks slick and a decent price. would it need any mods to make it work?

Really think there's enough room on that to get under the plates with the prop still on?

Wouldn't it make more sense and cost <$20 to just make one out of wood that rolls like what has been suggested?

Mark

toolman4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was just thinking duel purpose because a have a couple of four wheelers and was thinking about getting a lift. If it worked for the sterndrive too it might be a good choice for me.

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I was just thinking duel purpose because a have a couple of four wheelers and was thinking about getting a lift. If it worked for the sterndrive too it might be a good choice for me.

Yeah, but dolly costs 10 bux at Home depot and lumber was scrap laying around. Total cost somwhere around 12 bux and fits drive perfectly. It is also perfect for winter layup storage if you remove drive, like I do. (PS: I have an actual Sears and Rubbish lift for the Harley winter layup too, but that's a different thread. I needed two.)

I can send you the dimensions. File is too big for here.