johnson seahorse id

jydjohn5000

Cadet
hello I just recently acquired an old Johnson super seahorse 40 electric. The motor does run, but needs work, and im having trouble identifying year and such... The only number I found is on the Welch plug, j2710360 can anyone help me please?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: johnson seahorse id

On most of the old 40hp models, there was a large plate between the transom brackets just under the center of the steering bracket. Also look for a smaller plate that could be attached to the port (left) transom bracket. Either plate would have the model and serial numbers on it.

If no luck, and if the hood hasn't been repainted, provide a few pictures of the hood. The design and paint scheme was never repeated thru the years... this would pinpoint the year.

Describe the engine..... Mechanical or electric shift?.... Straight electric choke, heat tube leading to choke, water hoses leading to choke?

Color of engine.... All white... White & french silver... Light green (Tropical Green)... Dark green (Forest Green).

Go into some detail for us.

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A couple of other questions to add to the frey....

Do you have the compression release head?

What size crankshaft bolt at the flywheel? 7/8 or 1 1/16?

Remote wiring connects with a plug at engine? Yes or No....

nwcove

Admiral

i cant get it to work...asks for a password and username

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

That choke/carburetor setup could be anywhere from a 1964 to a 1970 model.

Really need some good clear pictures of the hood... front, side, and rear views to pinpoint the year.

jydjohn5000

Cadet

if I did it right, should have been like 9 pics there, couple different angles of hood were included

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

if I did it right, should have been like 9 pics there, couple different angles of hood were included

Oh, okay... You did it slightly different, I didn't see the "next" up in the upper right corner.

That hood design indicates that the engine is a 1966 40hp Johnson, Model #RD28B or RDL28B depending on whether it is a long shaft (20") model or not. This was the only model 40hp standard shift manufactured that had the horizontal lines molded into the long metal side plate of the hood.