28 HP Evinrude flood?

csisommout

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have 1964 28 hp, Model # 28402M, s/n E02487. will start up for a munite then quit, seems to be flooded. Before, It has been runing fine until I try to adjust low and high speed needles. everything had been rebuilt last season. if i leave it site for the next day it will start at first turn key and quit in a munite. Any advice will be appreciated.

I also have question about rope start, how does it work if my batterry gets weak, please explain, Thank you, Cal

jasper60103

Commander
Re: 28 HP Evinrude flood?

I have 1964 28 hp, Model # 28402M, s/n E02487. will start up for a munite then quit, seems to be flooded. Before, It has been runing fine until I try to adjust low and high speed needles. everything had been rebuilt last season. if i leave it site for the next day it will start at first turn key and quit in a munite. Any advice will be appreciated.

I also have question about rope start, how does it work if my batterry gets weak, please explain, Thank you, Cal

See the Top Secret Files for carb adjustment procedure...
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=299680

Rope start does not require a battery.

2manband

Seaman
Re: 28 HP Evinrude flood?

Have you tried pulling the rope a few times with the spark plugs out to blow out the excess fuel? If that seems to clear it up and allow it to re-start, then flooding would be the culprit and the fix would probably be carb related.

If not, it may be spark-related.

In fact, if you have a spark tester, you could test that while the plugs are out and you're clearing the cylinders.