Missing trim tab on1982 Mercury 40 hp.Thunderbolt

HUNTER59

Recruit
I bought this boat last year from a widow whose husband owned it. It had a trolling plate I took off and I recently noticed when working on the lower end (changing out impeller) that it is missing what is called a trim tab or trim tab anode? I took the trolling plate off and see this place where the trim tab use to be. Do I need this? Would it help to get another one and put it on? How do i adjust it? I did read what little I could find in other forums and it sounds like if you don't have it it could make it hard to turn one way, but not the other? I think I did notice this. Can I still purchase one of these still and it looks like they come in different types of metal to control corresion? What type do I need and does anyone have a procedure for setting it up?

Thanks,

Hunter59

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Missing trim tab on1982 Mercury 40 hp.Thunderbolt

It is used to take the torque off the steering and as an anti corrosion device.

If your engine pulls to one side with your hand off the tiller handle (steering wheel) then you need one and adjust it so that the rear is in the direction the boat goes when you let go of the tiller. If the boat wants to go to the left, move the rear to the left. Start at center and work over in that direction, trial and error. If you have no problem like that, don't worry about it.

If your boat doesn't stay in the water then I wouldn't worry about the corrosion either. We had engines for 10's of years, before the advent of the tab and had no corrosion problems, salt and fresh water. So you don't need it for that either.

If you order it, get the hex socket screw that secures it and the plastic cover (astetics) too because you have to reach down in a little hole to put the screw in and that is about all you can get down the hole...a hex allen wrench.

Mark