New user with questions on 1984 OMC on potential new-to-me boat purchase

Twolane

Seaman
Have read many threads here already. Thanks to so many for all the information. Some or all of what I'm about to ask has no doubt already been covered. Easy enough for a new user to get lost in the volume of information here so hoping no one will mind too much if I ask a few questions that will unfortunately be redundant to many of you.

Have a chance to get a 1984 IMP 19' with a 305 and the OMC stringer drive. Boat is a proverbial "barn find" owned by a now elderly couple I've known for many years who have used it two or three hours a weekend five or six weekends a year. Always been stored dry and in overall excellent condition. They're offering it for a song but I'm not familiar with marine products. My hobbies have always been street rods and motorcycles. Haven't worked on boats since a couple of summers worth of summer jobs at a marine 25 years ago. But the kids so "check it out" so checking this out I am.

Doing homework on the boat model the only real negatives I commonly find are remarks on the OMC drive system. Some hyperbole but some generally reasoned doubts as well. Boiled down my largest question would be do these drives really suck? Are they a mechanical problem regularly waiting for a place to happen or is the complaint against them just the manfuacturer's failing so the units are now obsolete with concern for parts supply?

Homework shows the same basic drive system in use from its OE from the early 1960s to the mid 1980s. A production run of that length would suggest a successful product by most manufacturing standards. That doesn't mean that age hasn't shown some shortcomings though. If so what might they be?

If the major complaint (and a legitimate one it could be) is the units having become obsolete due to lack of manufacturer support my next thought would be to the aftermarket. Was the production run on these long and large enough that a successful aftermarket has developed or is there real concern that a boat is dead for lack of spare parts for the outdrive?

I've got to let the current owners know whether I'm a buyer or not in a day or two. So anyone who has time to answer right away is very much appreciated. Thanks.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: New user with questions on 1984 OMC on potential new-to-me boat purchase

OMC stands for Out of business Marine Corporation. They went out of business completely in 1994. I would never buy one.

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer

OMC stands for Out of business Marine Corporation. They went out of business completely in 1994. I would never buy one.

Yeah, pretty much this. If I knew then what I know now, I never would have bought my boat. At some point or another you will be putting in far more money than the boat is worth. Just find something not OMC.

Twolane

Seaman

Yes, I know the OE is out of business. Referred to the obsolescence that might be the result of this in m original question. Have read several saying that, in and of itself, this is reason enough not to buy a boat so equipped. What I'm trying to better gauge is why?

Are the 1962-1986 "Stringer" units mechanically weak or otherwise incompetent? Has as a function of their age some common problem developed that makes them more currently unreliable? Is there not a competent aftermarket that can supply parts?

Since the unit had such a long product run my first inclination has to be they were generally deemed reliable and effective. At least contemporaneous to their production. If that's changed or that's a mistaken impression hopefully someone would advise how or in what areas.

As to current parts availability quick looks on eBay and other more dedicated parts sites showed a lot of parts available. My problem is I have no idea whether that first impression of "a lot" is actually a decent parts supply.

So, to summarize once again, are these units dismissed solely because they are orphaned by a defunct OE? Or are they actually problem children with lots of mechanical problems? Or are parts just not available?

Again, thanks folks. Appreciate anything anyone can share.

Twolane

Seaman

Yeah, pretty much this. If I knew then what I know now, I never would have bought my boat. At some point or another you will be putting in far more money than the boat is worth. Just find something not OMC.

Put a lot in to it because there is no aftermarket and NOS stuff is gawdawful frighteningly expensive when the day comes? Or put a lot in to it because they break down a lot?

That's the core of the difference I'm trying to get a handle on. This is a really nice boat I can get for a grand. At that price if it ran well for three or four years and crapped out in a way that is unfixable I could beach it and still not be hurt much. Just trying to figure out how likely are the potential failures, what the common failures are, and how possible or impossible parts supply actually is? It's a tough thing for a guy to judge who knows absolutely nothing about the product he's researching.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Boiled down my largest question would be do these drives really suck? Are they a mechanical problem regularly waiting for a place to happen or is the complaint against them just the manfuacturer's failing so the units are now obsolete with concern for parts supply?
It's really both, and I am a previous Stringer owner, and I even kind of like them. The fact is their trim system is weird, unreliable or non-existent, the ball joints are a constant source of maintenance and repair, and the tilt motors and tilt solenoids need to be replaced often. The lower units are outstanding and are used on a lot of the high horsepower OBs. Most of their engines are Chevy based like most others.

A well maintained and well understood unit can be loved by their owners for sure. But the conventional wisdom, and this is well boiled down here, is that you can do so much better with a Mercruiser so why take on the headache? Volvo drives are wonderful too, but parts are higher and service outlets are fewer. This all assumes you want/need an I/O . . . Many would say to pass on a free Stringer unless you wanted to part it out Good luck and welcome aboard!!! :)

Twolane

Seaman

It's really both, and I am a previous Stringer owner, and I even kind of like them. The fact is their trim system is weird, unreliable or non-existent, the ball joints are a constant source of maintenance and repair, and the tilt motors and tilt solenoids need to be replaced often. The lower units are outstanding and are used on a lot of the high horsepower OBs. Most of their engines are Chevy based like most others.

A well maintained and well understood unit can be loved by their owners for sure. But the conventional wisdom, and this is well boiled down here, is that you can do so much better with a Mercruiser so why take on the headache? Volvo drives are wonderful too, but parts are higher and service outlets are fewer. This all assumes you want/need an I/O . . . Many would say to pass on a free Stringer unless you wanted to part it out Good luck and welcome aboard!!! :)

Thanks very much. That's a bit of specific informed insight that makes sense to a novice. There are specific and common weak points and the beast sounds like it has some eccentricities. Problems like that coupled with difficult and more expensive parts sourcing can make a toy in to a nuisance real fast. No sense in turning fun in to work.

Thanks again from the uninformed (now better informed) to those sharing your experience. It's appreciated.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Correction, ball GEARS not ball joints . . . :facepalm:

southkogs

Staff member

To add an extra log on the fire - QC's assessment is a really good one:

I have a '72 Stringer, and honestly it's not been very difficult to keep running. Parts can be a little tricky to get hold of, and you pretty much have to learn to do the work yourself (I'm not that mechanical and I've been able to keep up okay). However, there looms out there a day when effort and expense collide with common sense and it'll be time to let it go.

On the overall, I like the system. Mine is an electric shift and I love the way it goes in gear. I think the drive turns tighter than the Mercs I've driven and it's really very quiet. I haven't had to fight ball gears yet, but I've had to wrestle with the trim and tilt systems both ...

If you REALLY like the boat, and you're REALLY dedicated to the idea of keeping a vintage boat (with no real value to anyone else) running, and you REALLY don't mind spending a significant amount of time in the garage pampering the system ... go get 'em.

If you want to spend more time on the water and less time maintaining ... don't do it to yourself.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I have owned a stringer as well. It was also an electric shift. The tilt mechanism is definitley an issue with these as well as the later stringers. Not being able to tilt these up in shallow water is a pain in the butt.

Trying to find people knowledgable to fix these as well as finding parts in the future is going to be an ongoing issue.

Twolane

Seaman

Thanks again for all the informed insights. Info from people with hands on experience can't be beat. As mentioned earlier my marine experience is nothing more than a couple of summers watching girls and doing a little work at a marina at the end of high school. So while the shop may be relatively well equipped it is so for bikes and cars. I know I've got zero practical experience with these systems and the learning curve would be from zero.

Since I had no emotional attachment to the specific boat that brought all this on it was easy to walk away. That boat was also close to two ton and on the large side for my tow vehicle if used regularly. So, again, didn't break my heart to look elsewhere.

Not jumping on it turned out to be one of those "unanswered prayers" things too. Got a call this afternoon from a cousin who'd heard I was boat shopping (one daughter talking to one niece to.... , well; gossip goes fast). Was put on the trail of an old 17' 79 Glastron ski. Open bow, plenty of seating, the kids actually liked it from moment one, body is still shiny and upholstery is still good. Hour meter shows all of 116. Inline six cylinder Chevy branded as a Merc and a Merc outdrive. Brought it home for $1250.

It's better fit to its tow vehicle, only issue found is the power trim lowers but doesn't raise and it's even got a new marine radio and speakers that went in it this spring. Runs very well when setting on muffs. Family is happy so I'm happy. Now have homework to do on an entirely different model machine.

Thanks again everyone.