will this prop work

yoggii

Seaman
I found a prop on craigs list very cheap,but its 100 miles away.I need to be sure it will fit my motor before i go get it.Plus its close to bass pro shop.(gives me a good excuse to go there) motor is 1984 35 hp merc and prop is 48-73138-14 will it work?? thanks!!

jestor68

Commander
Re: will this prop work

The last number(14) is usually the pitch. So the question is; do you think your 35 hp motor can handle 14 inches of pitch?

Unless it's on a really light boat, the answer is doubtful. What size prop is on it now?

BonairII

Commander

First....you need a tach to correctly prop a motor.

Second....driving 100 miles for a "cheap" prop seems a bit much. The gas and time you spend no longer makes the prop "cheap".

If I find a small item on CL that's not close to my home, I just have the seller ship it to me. Most sellers will do it btw.

Third......doubtful that 35 hp motor will push a 14p prop well. You'll probably lug the motor with it.

yoggii

Seaman

Well,I went and got the prop,120 miles,$25.00 for prop,$30.00 for gas=$55.00..I couldnt find a prop for less than $150.00 including shipping..The prop is in great condition and it fits.I dont have a tac but I could tell the prop on it (10.5 pitch was way not enough)My boat is a 14 ft polar craft jon boat.very light..I havnt put it in the water yet but I think I can tell if its lugging to bad.Also the blades on the 14 are not as wide as the 10.5 pitch.. Word of advise,,,dont go through atlanta on friday evening!!

etracer68

Ensign

For a Solas prop here at IBoats, is 91.00 plus about 12.00 shipping. You pick a New prop of pitch you need. But first I would have put a tiny tech on , so you know for sure what WOT rpm is. Doing it by ear is isnt very good. Lugging or over reving the motor is not good. Good luck, hope it works out for you.

yoggii

Seaman

took boat to the lake this morning,prop works great,dont have a tac but the 35 doesnt have any problem pulling that 14 pitch prop,might could even turn a 15 or 16 but im leaving the 14 on because it has a great hole shot,but after about 2 or 3 minutes the boat quit,wont run unless you pump ball and i just built the fuel pump and cleanad carb..i was told it could be check valves in fuel pump,are they supposed to be tight or move around?? any ideas??

yoggii

Seaman

update....took fuel pump back off,check valve was bent and causing spring not to work,a small screwdriver and a little elbow grease,and now spring works,,,took it to the lake and ran it for about 20 minutes,,,ran great..