Unidentified Boat!

Christo-J

Recruit
I bought a boat and the previous owner said the boat was a 1985 Vanguard Cutlass 140 OMC. Well I take it in for a spring checkup and the mechanic tells me the boat is no newer than 1977. So I looked for the HIN and I can't find one:confused: and I'm not sure how to find out the age of my boat.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Unidentified Boat!

The tittle will have a HIN, what dose it say.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

And did you ask the mechanic how he ID'ed it to older than 1977?

Christo-J

Recruit

He said he could tell by the tilt motor,and the prop how it was mounted. He said it changed after 1977. I guess it needs a new tilt motor. He said the gears were rather worn.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

If you dont have a tittle for it stop work untill you do, or it may well be a yard planter.

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Is it possible that the outdrive (or it's components) have been changed?

Christo-J

Recruit

Thx to all concerned. I found the best solution, the previous owner took the boat back. I'm off to look at a 1995 starcraft with a 120 HP force. Wish me luck.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Christo Please do a search for that motor before you purchase the Starcraft. I know many people that love the Starcraft brand, but I don't know anyone who loves Force motors...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Christo Please do a search for that motor before you purchase the Starcraft. I know many people that love the Starcraft brand, but I don't know anyone who loves Force motors...

And fiberglass Starcrafts are ok but nothing to write home about.

Force/Chrysler outboards are to be avoided as well as OMC stern drives due to obsolescence.

Christo-J

Recruit

We have decided to purchase a 96' intruder with a 90HP Yamaha that is in excellent condition.