Rochester Carb issue??

Oshkosh1

Ensign
My previous posts dealt with my hard "hot" start issue...

In my troubleshooting I've found a bad battery, which may not have been the primary culprit.

I put a secondary battery in it, just to start it cold...and when I shut it off I immediately looked into the throat of the carb.

I noticed fuel slowling dripping onto the butterflies for about 10 seconds or so.

I didn't think about it...assuming that it was rebuilt correctly, as it came from a reputable rebuilder.

I'm assuming that a new accel pump was used...but maybe the float was set incorrectly??:confused:

Other than that...I have no issues with the performance once up to speed. Plently of acceleration/cruises with no hesitation etc...Only the starting issue.

I'm offline for a bit so may not see responses right away...but thanks in advance for the replies AND patience.

Oshkosh1

Ensign
Re: Rochester Carb issue??

I was just reading over the paperwork that the carb builder(Autoline) sent. It stated that due to the length of time that the carb MAY have been sitting on the shelf, that some "shrinkage"(Seinfeld anyone?)may occur with the "Accelerator Pump Cup" but should function as normal within 24 hours of use... Could THIS cause the "drip"?

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

I think the pump is fine and the float is too high

cr2k

Captain

Or the vents on the jets are plugged.

rc.davies227

Recruit

Oshkosh I am having the "hot" start issue as well on my '91 mercruiser 5.7L... Starts great cold, runs smooth with full power, but when i start it after shutting it off warm it just cranks.

I didnt find yOur other posts re: this... Any chance you can advise what troubleshooting you went through?

series60

Chief Petty Officer

I noticed fuel slowling dripping onto the butterflies for about 10 seconds or so.

Needle valve not seating due to worn needle valve not seating to seat and/or float not adjusted correctly. I never rely on someone
else doing the job correctly and using the correct parts but that's just me.

rc.davies227

Recruit

Give this a read...http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=563714&p=3874127#post3874127

You may have better luck starting another thread with more specifics...

Thanks! Reading through that was helpful as a start, I didn't think the battery would be an option but it sounds like it could be (although it doesnt sound like it totally fixed your problem). I think my battery could be on it's last leg, so time to get it tested.

I actually did start another thread yesterday afternoon... no luck on replies yet.

Oshkosh1

Ensign

Here's what I found......IMG_1079.JPG....... after getting into the carb...what appears to be a tiny metal shaving which was not allowing the needle to seat. As long as I have it apart I'll go ahead and check/clean everything else.

Good call "Series 60"...

Oshkosh1

Ensign

I discovered where the shaving came from.

The fuel line fitting stripped a small portion of brass thread on the body and was injested. On this particular 2GC, there is NO filter on/in the carb itself.

Checked float level/drop and all seems to be good.

Oshkosh1

Ensign

While I have it off...

What about adding a 1/4" phenolic spacer to mitigate the heat sink effect on the carb as it's mounted directly to the exhaust manifold?

Anyone have any experience with them?