Trolling Motor Specs

Bass Buster One

Seaman Apprentice
Good morning everyone. Just a quick question about trolling motors. I'm in the market for a new one and curious about what style (foot control -vs- hand control), #s thrust, shaft length (that one is pretty simple) to bow mount on a 18ft bass boat. I'm looking primarily at Minn Kota as I had great experience with a transom mount in the past. What would you consider middle of the road need to adequately control the boats orientation while fishing, but yet move the boat from point to point at a good clip? Thanks guys

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trolling Motor Specs

I almost always bought remotely controlled motors as I didn't want to be interrupted while landing a fish to stop playing the fish, even for a second, and whacking the TM to get the fish and boat out of the rough stuff. I don't know about you but for me it could cause you to loose the fish. I learned that when they first came out and I bought my first one.

I think I am more inclined to use the multiple small blades like Motorguide uses as compared to a long blade like I had on a MinnKota I bought back in the 80's. Problem is that at low power settings, hence low prop speeds, it took awhile for that big prop to get in motion. That was a problem when you needed a little sprut here and there.

Length needs to be long enough to have the prop in the water in the roughest water you plan to encounter. If you are in waves and your motor is in and out and in and out of the water due to large waves you aren't going to get much out of it. Obviously when not using it, you merely readjust the length of the shaft.

On thrust, you never have enough when you really need it. You may seldom use it, but it is nice to have. 24v is a must to have enough power to drive a high thrust unit.

I have a 67lb thrust motor on my alum 17' BB and it does a great job.

The bottom of the TM is a perfect place to mount a depth sounder and that includes the side looking units. There's nothing to obstruct your view and it is right under you sitting in the front seat.

Plenty of battery power is a must so have a cranking battery and 2 deep cycle or deepcycle combos or 3 deep cycle combo's and forget the cranking battery if you plan on all day fishing trips. Early on I only had a cranking battery and ran it down one day fishing. Starting an 85 hp engine with a cranking rope is no fun.

Built in battery chargers with multiple outputs are great. Only put out about 5 amperes each output and have the trickle charge function to keep them up. Great investment.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Mark

Bass Buster One

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Trolling Motor Specs

Thanks for your response Mark. Yeah, I did look at some remote controlled units, and I agree with you 100%, but I'm on a budget, especially with 2 older boats that require a little higher level of maintenance. But I have been in that situation while fighting a fish.

The boat (1987 Venture Tournament Edition 18ft) is equipped throughout with only 12 volt, and has a dedicated starting battery and only one deep cycle. I suppose I can somewhat modify the system, or install a seperate 24v sytem that would be dedicated to the trolling motor. The old one doesn't work, but it's a Minn Kota All Terrain 50# 45in and the previous owner said it worked great for this boat, but, then again, he was selling the boat!!

Thanks again Mark, and I sure appreciate the advice.