Power steering issue...maybe?

Tagerman

Seaman
So I have never had a boat with power steering. When I'm Idling around or up on plane the boat steers pretty easily (easier than my 85 4winns) although much harder to turn right than left. There is almost zero play in the steering. When going on plane the boat wants to pull to the left (my old boat did this also) but it is a complete bear to turn the steering. I feel like with power steering it should always be easy to steer...or is this normal? If that is not normal any ideas as to what could be causing the power steering to not be assisting?

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Power steering issue...maybe?

Not normal in a power steering equipped boat... My boat has power steering and the effort required to turn is basically equal at all speeds and throttle levels, and it does not pull to either side.

I'm not sure what could be causing your issue; this is my first boat with PS also. When you turn the wheel all the way to the left or right lock, can you hear the power steering pump whine at all? Does your boat have the trim tab anode above the prop or is it just the flat disc anode?

Tagerman

Seaman
Re: Power steering issue...maybe?

My next question is I can't hear the pump at all so it might be completely dead. If it completely fails will the boat quit steering?