Dead Medallion Gauges on Black Scorpion

jmander77

Cadet
All of my gauges are dead. They do not reset or move in the slightest. I'm starting to get desperate in trying to fix this issue. I've spent hours troubleshooting wires, grounds, voltages, replaced the wiring harness under the dash and have even tried two brand new MDCs. I haven't tried new gauges simply because I think it is unlikely all of the gauges broke at the same time.

Could a faulty ECM cause this? Or could my gauges have really died at the same time?

jmander77

Cadet
Re: Dead Medallion Gauges on Black Scorpion

BTW ... I have a 2007 Sanger V230.

Tried to edit post, but it doesn't save.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

What gauges do you have. Engine will obviously affect tach, but gas gauge should register. You can test temp gauge as well. Did you make sure each gauge has +12VDC and ground going to it, plus some kind of sender?

QC

Supreme Mariner

Welcome aboard jmander!! I moved this the Mercruiser I/O and Inboard section. Let me know if I got it wrong. Maybe you have a super cool Sanger Barefoot model, but I'm thinking I got this right :)

jmander77

Cadet

What gauges do you have. Engine will obviously affect tach, but gas gauge should register. You can test temp gauge as well. Did you make sure each gauge has +12VDC and ground going to it, plus some kind of sender?

Three units total Speedometer, Tachometer, and a cluster with Oil, Temp, Battery and Gas.

I've been using this PDF to troubleshoot:
http://www.m2omarine.com/resources/MedallionII_Troubleshoot.pdf

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Is your engine set up for Smartcraft or Digital throttle and shift?

A picture of your instruments would sure help.

jmander77

Cadet

Pretty sure it's Digital Throttle.

I found this photo on the Web ... same dash and gauges ... just not my boat:
sanger-gauges.jpg

QC

Supreme Mariner

Have you tried talking to Sanger? http://www.sangerboats.com/index.html

At this point we are kind of stumped as to whether or not these gauges are typical Analog or a Merc driven DTS system.

Don S

Those aren't Mercs smartcraft gauges, have any pictures of how they are wired?

jmander77

Cadet

I know I do not have the new DTS engine. I have been in contact with Sanger a few times and I think they're stumped too. They said I should see something as long as I have 12V going in to both connectors ... which I do. They even sent me a second MDC to try. I have also contacted Medallion and they told me the gauges should reset as long as I have proper power to the 18-pin connector. I have even tried connecting the MDC directly to the battery.

Page 9 of the PDF I provided earlier illustrates how my system is wired. The gauges are daisy-chained and utilize the 5-pin connector also illustrated in the PDF. I have disconnected/reconnected each gauges one-by-one.

One thing I haven't mentioned is ... when I first opened my engine compartment after the winter I found mold growing everywhere. The boat is covered with a custom Sunbrella canvas cover in a covered slip. I guess rain blew up underneath and eventually absorbed through parts of the cover. My gauges coincidentally were not working when I first turned the key, but were for sure working when I winterized it. Making me think the problem lies in the engine compartment ... specifically the ECM or the big canon looking plug near it.

I'm really trying to avoid taking the boat to a dealer for evaluation. But starting to think that's what's going to happen.

Don S

From the looks of the .pdf file (last page) that system doesn't even hook to the engines computer. Probably just picks up information from the standard instrument wiring harness.

Don S

Did some more checking, seems that system works off of standard analog information from the engine (not the engine ECM).
http://www.medallionis.com/Downloads/MDC177438.pdf

Might want to contact Medallion instead of Sanger, bet they can figure out what happened.

Are you getting power to the MDC from the ignition switch (purple wire)?
Do you have the 10 or 14 pin connector on your engine for the wiring harness going to the helm?

jmander77

Cadet

I am getting power on the purple wire. I called Medallion a couple weeks ago and they didn't have ideas. They said the system is simple and should be working based on what I told them. They thought I may have initially received a bad MDC from Sanger ... so Sanger sent me a replacement that was tested before they shipped it.

Sanger did offer to test all of my components if I sent them in ... which I'm really starting to consider at this point. I'm trying to cover all of my bases before I go to the trouble.

According to the shop manual it is a 10-pin on the engine.

Don S

As long as you have good power on the red wire and the purple wire going to the MDC. and a good ground, then the rest is all Medallion.

jmander77

Cadet

Is there a possibility that a surge in voltage may have occurred and fried them all at the same time? If so, where would it have come from ... batteries, alternator, etc?

markheck1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do you have a lanyard kill switch, I know on my old Chris Craft the kill switch cuts the power to all the gauges....