gauges stopped working all at the same time

randolf

Cadet
I just purchased a Maxum 2100SC, Merc 5.0L, Alpha 1 leg, freshwater cooled.

I was on the lake yesterday and all was well on my maiden voyage. After a few mins of running, my speedo, tach and volt meter all stopped working. I have pulled all fuses, including the 3 by the battery switch and all is good. I cleaned the RS engine ground as I was only clicking when I attempted to start it at home and that fixed that. I did what I could to clean the LS ground but its a tough one to get to, looked ok though.

Anyway, I get voltage at all 3 of the gauges using thier own grounds.
Thats about as far as I can get. Anyone have an idea on the next steps?

Thanks to all who answer.

randolf

Cadet
Re: gauges stopped working all at the same time

Well I notice in slot of forums that no one really wants to blame the gauges as a culprit but I'm starting to lean that way. I have pulled grounds, fusible links and checked and re checked voltage. Ive currently got 12.2 in acc position acrossnall gauges, includingnthe ones that work (oil, fuel, trim) on power and ground terminals. Going to the ground and sensor input terminal I have around 5v on the ones that don't work and 3-4 on the ones that do.

Is it possible there was a spike in voltage and fried these gauges? (including the temp gauge now)
I checked alternator voltage while running and it's 14.4-14.5, There is a noticeable whine while running, not loud but out of place and sticking my ear close it's definitely the alternator?
I'm hoping I'm getting close???

jmander77

Cadet
Re: gauges stopped working all at the same time

I have a similar thread running in this section. I've done everything you've done in addition to replacing the computer and wiring harness that run my gauges. Not even the boat manufacturer nor the gauge manufacturer seems to have an answer.

A spike in voltage is what I have also started leaning towards. Otherwise, I'm completely out of ideas. Curious to hear your findings.