How low is low for water pressure ?

fishfeatures

Senior Chief Petty Officer
After fitting a water pressure gauge to my motor as I had a slight overheat , so replaced the impeller just to be sure and also fitted a gauge. With the motor trimmed or tilted in shallow water, what PSI is ok for the engine when trolling along? Or so long as there is even 1 psi there's water going through the motor?

currently it's reading 6 @idle and 17 @ wot but I do troll on my river and sometimes end up in the shallows so jsut want to make sure I don't harm the motor if I have it tilted up high so I don't damage my prop.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: How low is low for water pressure ?

If it is a Merc, it sounds about right. A Johnnyrude would usually be higher.....What do you have?

fishfeatures

Senior Chief Petty Officer

60 hp Johnny 1990. Now i have it tee'd off at the exhaust plate so i can still see the tell tale. I'll run it directly to the gauge so that there is no pee stream.
Any way what is the lowest PSI reading that will keep the motor cool, I'm thinking maybe 1-2 below idle reading??

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you are running that low a water pressure it indicates one of two things: 1) the water intakes are not fully submerged or 2) the impeller is going bad. There is no magic cool vs water psi number. You only know what normal is after replacing the impeller. Note the idle and WOT readings. Any deviation from those numbers indicates the impeller needs service.