Trim and fuel gauges not working?!?! 91' Four Winns 190 Freedom

bsmize

Cadet
So I am new to the boating lifestyle and I recently bought a 91 four winns 190 freedom with the 4.3l OMC Cobra I/OB. I believe I have all the kinks worked out as far as the engine, but the problem now is I can't figure out why the trim gauge and fuel gauge isn't working. The fuel gauge worked fine when I purchased the boat but now it just shows full all of the time. I'm thinking it could possibly be the float in the tank. Also, I'm trying to figure out exactly where to start researching on the trim gauge. I eventually want to replace all of the gauges and dash panel in the boat, but for now I would be content with having the gauges operational. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trim and fuel gauges not working?!?! 91' Four Winns 190 Freedom

There are a hundred or more posts on troubleshooting fuel gauge issues in this forum. Use the SEARCH feature using the terms Fuel Gauge or something similar. The trim gauge works the same way. Hint: The problem is very rarely a bad gauge. So that leaves wiring or the sender itself.

bsmize

Cadet

Thank you so much for your help. I'll give it a shot. I figured it was probably something to do with the wiring. I cleaned at least 20 dirt dobber nests out from behind the instrument panel. The boat was never covered by the previous owner. I'm also waiting on a new owners manual for the engine since the previous owner didn't have one of those either. Just trying to do as much as I can until I get the manual. Thanks for the help!!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Thank you so much for your help. I'll give it a shot. I figured it was probably something to do with the wiring. I cleaned at least 20 dirt dobber nests out from behind the instrument panel. The boat was never covered by the previous owner. I'm also waiting on a new owners manual for the engine since the previous owner didn't have one of those either. Just trying to do as much as I can until I get the manual. Thanks for the help!!

Waiting for an owners manual is like waiting for paint to dry. They contain very little useful iniformation. It is a SERVICE manual you need if you intend to do any work on the engine.