Automatic oiler on outdrive

biggrhammr

Cadet
Seems that running an outdrive low on oil is a common problem. I bought my first boat a couple of months ago, and even though I knew from the research I had done before I bought it, that there were numerous things I should have checked before taking it out the first time, I went out anyway. I checked the oil level of the drive when I bought the boat, then ran it in my driveway several times before taking it out. I never vacuum tested it though. It lasted about 30 minutes before it lost enough oil to ruin the top end ( I think the water impeller sucked it out via the shaft seal). Anyway, could a person not just attach a ?drip oiler? to the top of the outdrive (this is on an OMC Cobra) ? This way even if you did get a leaky seal while out on the lake, you would have time to deal with it before the drive destroyed itself? It seems as if you had the same amount of air in the top of the oiler as you do at the top of the drive, then whatever pressure build up (if there is any) would compress that air the same as it would have before. Not sure if the dipstick hole would be large enough to allow the oil to ?drip? due to the viscosity of the oil though.

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Automatic oiler on outdrive

It sees like you're trying to make a complicated solution to a simple problem. There are thousands of Cobra drives operating without leaks around the world, including mine. Fix the leak properly rather than jury-rig a solution.

You also want to fix the leak to avoid discharging lubricant into the waterways.

biggrhammr

Cadet

I'm not trying to continue on with a leaky seal, didn't mean to insinuate that. Just the fact that at the beginning of the day, I had a perfectly good drive, and a simple seal destroyed it. I'm not too excited about spending over $1000 plus on whatever solution I end up going with, (rebuild, or SEI conversion) and the fact that this happens sooo often, whether it's a seal, loose vent screw, or what, just seams like an oiler would help eliminate such a common problem.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I'm not trying to continue on with a leaky seal, didn't mean to insinuate that. Just the fact that at the beginning of the day, I had a perfectly good drive, and a simple seal destroyed it. I'm not too excited about spending over $1000 plus on whatever solution I end up going with, (rebuild, or SEI conversion) and the fact that this happens sooo often, whether it's a seal, loose vent screw, or what, just seams like an oiler would help eliminate such a common problem.

Mercruiser did that very thing with the Gen II's and Bravos. You could probably do it with the Cobra too. And I think you can put one on an SEI but you'd have to ask them if they have that capability. It would probably require a modification of the the drive bell housing (if they don't have the provision already)

HCMQA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Curious question is are you sure it was a seal?
You describe the exact issue when a Cobra is filled like a Merc.
Who filled your drive?

biggrhammr

Cadet

It was full when I bought it, and I didn't check it again until I was re-installing it after replacing the engine. It certainly could have been anything else, (still waiting on the shop to call me with a quote). It just seems like that is what happened, but without a pressure test there's no way of telling. It seems weird that a bubble of air could take up so much space, as when I looked in the top portion, there was no oil, not even around the pinion gear at the bottom. My earlier point though still remains, that some sort of oiler would have prevented even the issue of filling it wrong, I would think. Now that I know there's other drives with remote oilers, I'm thinking of making one that replaces the 4 bolt cap at the top, using a cnc, to make it look factory, eliminating the need to run a remote hose.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

It seems weird that a bubble of air could take up so much space, as when I looked in the top portion, there was no oil, not even around the pinion gear at the bottom.
It's the MOST common way to destroy a Cobra. It's mentioned in the OMC service manuals and why they have said to fill it with the dipstick "resting on top of the threads to allow for a slight over-fill".

Now that I know there's other drives with remote oilers, I'm thinking of making one that replaces the 4 bolt cap at the top, using a cnc, to make it look factory, eliminating the need to run a remote hose.
Yeah. Mercruiser has only been doing it since the early 90's. I don't think Volvo does it at all. (But then, Volvo drives were designed by OMC....AND Actually, they were ALL designed by Kiekhaefer Mercury people in one form or another!!) I would have expected OMC to figger that out but .......they screwed up a LOT of things......and they went out of business.

Take pictures. And since you're using a cnc to machine it, patent it and make a LOT of them. There's probably a more than a few people out that there in radio land that would buy them!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

But then, Volvo drives were designed by OMC....
No they weren't. Where did you hear that at? Volvo built the first outdrive.

The history of stern drive power begins in the First World War with the production of the MAS of Isotta-Fraschini, with two counter-rotating propellers.
Charlie Strang patented it by Jim Wynne. During the 1950s, both engineers worked at Mercury Marine under Carl Kiekhaefer, who was initially dismissive of and opposed to the idea of sterndrives, but would later capture 80% of the market. In 1958, Wynne left Kiekhaefer and in less than 90 days "invented" the stern drive. The first commercial introduction of sterndrives was by Volvo Penta with their "Aquamatic" at the 1959 New York Motor Boat Show. Kiekhaefer would introduce the first MerCruiser outdrive in 1961 at the Chicago Boat Show. By 1962, 16 manufacturers were producing sterndrives. There was also the Outboard Marine Company (O.M.C.); however, due to several patent wars, O.M.C. ceased production.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterndrive

biggrhammr

Cadet

This is all assuming that I keep the drive I have. I haven't gotten a quote yet on what I'm looking at to fix it, as I may convert to SEI if the cost starts gettin way up there. Another fella mentioned parting mine out, which I may do as well, again depending on the quote from the shop. Although I'm new to boats, I don't have a problem with the design of my drive, as if I had owned it from new, I would have maintained and adjusted it correctly. The mistake I made, was buying it, and basically going straight to the lake without going completely through the thing, bow to stern, which has now cost me more than I paid for the boat. I'm sure I''m not the only idiot that's done that.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

No they weren't. Where did you hear that at? Volvo built the first outdrive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterndrive

In the spring of 1958, Jim Wynne left Kiekhaefer Mercury and in less than 90 days, "invented" the stern drive.

I mis-spoke! Mercury "designed" em! And I'm amazed that there wasn't a HUGE lawsuit over the whole thing. They Kept Karl Kiekhaefer in the dark for years.....