cutting ends off old propane tank

Autotech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does any body have any experience in cutting the ends off an old propane tank?? I want to build a couple of fire pits and in the past have gone to the place where there are built where I could buy dented ends for 20 bucks. They don't like to sell them any more. They say now they send them back or get a 100.00 Bucks for a 25 gal end, way out of my price range for a give away. I have a 50 gal tank that my Dad had in his truck years ago and has not seen propane in 15 to 20 years. But the Welder I talked to said the propane get in the pores of the metal and he would not mess with it..with a Torch or a Metal cutting saw. Another said fill with water and use a torch. Any Thoughts would be helpful. Also have a 1000 gal tank I would like to turn in a grill an put on a trailer one day. I have been burnt before and am vvverrry llleary of fire especially when I not sure how it will react in different circumstances.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
Re: cutting ends off old propane tank

If you've been burned before I'm surprised you're even considering it.
Mike

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have cut up several oxygen, acetylene and propane tanks in a huge industrial band saw with hydraulic vises and coolant. All sparkless that is for sure.

I took the valves off the tanks and let them air out for a day or 2, the acetylene was nasty as it had like this almost hard sponge like filling in it.
I felt weird doing it, like it was dangerous but not a thing happened. Hell maybe it was dangerous and someone is going to really let me have it. Been there done that.
I would avoid any cutters that emit sparks thats for sure.
Wont a semi's dayton rim sans tire work for your fire ring ? or maybe a big tractor rim, those can be had with a bit of rust close to free.

BF

Lieutenant

for firepits, using the drum of a junked top loading washing machine is popular up here. Dis-assemble the machine enough to get the porcelin tub out (you have to take the agitator off)... some weld legs on, but a slick trick I saw was to use 4 carridge bolts as legs... about 4-6" long ones.. drill holes in the bottom of the tub and put a nut on the bolt (about an inch or so) then stick the threaded end into the hold and put another nut inside the tub. Then you've got 4 legs... the heads of the carridge bolts make nice rounded little "feet". The water holes in the sides of the tub are good for letting air into the fire.

No chance of explosion when making one up either... :)

alumi numb

Petty Officer 1st Class

pull up to compuvices.com you will find smoke plans from propane tanks there.
lots of other stuff also.
burns?
watched a man burn to death once, not good at all.
to me it just ain't even worth it but that's up to you.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Autotech, get a wheel rim, washer drum or dryer drum. East to obtain and readily available.

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

i use the cheap weber kettle type grills everybody throws away and the lid comes in handy ,they last forever i have use 2 in 15 years . use bricks for a base or make a ring from steel,legs.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If the tank is empty, you should have no problem cutting it with a torch or a plasma cutter. Empty the tank, fill with water, empty, let it dry out and then cut with whatever you want. Propane getting into the pores of the metal is BS.

Post at this site regarding this:
http://weldingweb.com/

Peole on there do this all the time.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Filling with water and draining it is good. I have done this often, but I use a gas sniffer before lighting a torch. Many gas company's will sniff the tank for you. But make sure the sniffer will reach the bottom of the tank. Gas is heavier than air. Always be Safe, the alternative is not good.

alumi numb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Autotech, get a wheel rim, washer drum or dryer drum. East to obtain and readily available.

ya know i like that washer/dryer drum idea.
mine was really getting bad and was going to set it out in the alley for the scrappers.
one morning went out to do that and it was gone, didn't even have to waste the energy.

dolluper

Captain

Go ahead your far enough from me...lol

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

If the tank is empty, you should have no problem cutting it with a torch or a plasma cutter. Empty the tank, fill with water, empty, let it dry out and then cut with whatever you want. Propane getting into the pores of the metal is BS..

I've cut several in half this way using a drill and sawzall. Buzzed a hole in the side with a pneumatic drill and the cut it in half with the sawzall. The key is filling with water- it forces all the gas out and is much faster than waiting for it to empty and outgas on its own.

Autotech

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've built about six pits in the last 6 years from new tank ends that work great but the problem is I've got too many buddies that want to borrow it "just for the weekend". See them around but they never to offer to bring them back. Or its to hot to load up and bring back right now we will do it tommorrow. Or how much do you want for it this works great. Or my brother in law borrowed it and hasn't brought it back yet. Guess I will just use a rim those seem to stay where placed.

Bondo

Staff member

Propane getting into the pores of the metal is BullShip.

Ayuh,... I build things outta used Propane Tanks All the time,...
The largest of which was a 13 ton Barge,...
The smallest a tabletop channel marker bouy sculpture out of a 1lb. LP can...

1st, you remove any valving,+ plugs from the tank,...
Turn it so atleast 1 Hole is straight down,+ let the tank purge for a week or so,...
Then fire up the torches,+ go to Cuttin',....

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

you got a death wish.

Bondo

Staff member

you got a death wish.

Ayuh,... please explain,...

It's Knowledge that keeps you Safe,+ I know the properties of the gases, fluids,+ metals I'm working with...

Mr. Florida

Seaman Apprentice

I've done many with no problems. Remove the valve, fill with water, let set for a day, drain, repeat. The water displaces the propane. If you smell anything after water purging, it is the mercaptan, which is added to the propane for leak detection, by smell.

Attachments

• BBQ4.jpg
    BBQ4.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 0

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer

I'm a gasfitter and as mentioned, propane being 'absorbed' by the metal is BS. Remove the valves, let sit with opening pointed down for a day or so, flush with water and cut away. Any remaining odor is the mercaptain (odorant) which is harmless but will linger for a long time. It's nasty stuff! I've cut several tanks with bandsaws, grinders and torches and not so much as a 'poof'.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

An experienced welder in my home town was severely burned. He left the float still in the large thank because he couldn't get the fitting out. The float they said had an accumulation of gas in it and ignited. Be Safe!

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer

Bandsaw with the coolant on.

Easy!;)