Show me your livewell on your 'Toon

JGator

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Show me your livewell, homemade or otherwise you have on your 'Toon. I'm thinking it should be located up front due to weight.

Pics and Thoughts?

Jim

Treker57

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Show me your livewell on your 'Toon

21' PB mine is under the helm seat

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I built one last year for mine. Its a 15 gallon with a fill pump so the water can be changed out any time during hot days with a separate aerator system on a timer to save battery power and a stainless steel tank.

bait tank plumbing 640 gif.jpgfill pump 512 .jpgplacment 512 .jpgplumbing 512 .jpgtank working 512 .jpg

JGator

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a bilge pump on the rear of one of the tubes, and works well so that much is there. Was also thinking of a removable type. Any thoughts on the material I could use to make one? Inexpensive 40qt or larger cooler?

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

My live well is built in under a seat in the front of the boat. Pump behind a log. Works well. I would think a cooler would work very well. The thing with live wells is you need to change the water to keep it fresh. So the bait stays alive. With a built in type there is an overflow so when I run my pump to put fresh water in the overflow allows it to do just that. The overflow drains back into the body of water your boating on. So keep this in mind when building one. On a toon I would think a hole about 75% up from the bottom so it just flows out would do. Screen this hole so the bait doesn't go out the hole. It will drain on the floor and run over the side. No biggy its a boat without a bilge.

JGator

Petty Officer 2nd Class

MinUph Thanks! BTW we are neighbors, I'm in NC FL

Nightfisher-

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I use a plastic wash tub I fill with a bucket. The round shape is best for bait. Adding pickling salt to the water and running an air stone I can keep a couple dozen small shad lively all night. Cheap, easy, and removable.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

I have a bilge pump on the rear of one of the tubes, and works well so that much is there. Was also thinking of a removable type. Any thoughts on the material I could use to make one? Inexpensive 40qt or larger cooler?

Thats what I use - I also used PVC with valve to plumb it though the floor to partialy drain to add fresh water-Works great.

JGator

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats what I use - I also used PVC with valve to plumb it though the floor to partialy drain to add fresh water-Works great.

I'm heading in this direction. I ordered through the hull fittings for the 3/4" bilge tubing. Thanks!

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

I have an old 54 quart cooler with the metal outside that matches the texture of the side panels. I drilled a hole in the bottom and glued a 1" slip/threaded PVC adapter in the bottom. I have a 14" tall 1" PVC stand pipe that screws in so works like a fancy "real" livewell. I have a 12" long piece of 3/4" PVC capped and glued through the side with about 20 1/8" holes drilled in it for my spray bar. 1" PVC will handle around 600 gallons per hour, works perfectly with a 500gph off the back of the toon.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

I'm heading in this direction. I ordered through the hull fittings for the 3/4" bilge tubing. Thanks!

I think you'll like it- I thought about a areator but it just takes a few seconds to flip a switch & pump fresh cool lake water into it-

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

I think you'll like it- I thought about a areator but it just takes a few seconds to flip a switch & pump fresh cool lake water into it-
You can get Livewell timers off ebay for 25-40$, Mine Is ON 1 minute, OFF 5 minutes. Keeps the fish lively all day.

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

here is a idea for you: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=549318

i do not have a toon yet, but want one either next year or by 14 at the latest .............

mjc3834merc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My pontoon is a fishing pontoon. It came with fishing chairs front and back, a livewell, and a fish finder. Mine is under the seat in the center of the pontoon. It has an overflow tube and I just run it for five minutes every half hour or so and it works fine.
Mike
403305078.jpg
396806104.jpg

JGator

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Finished mine. This will fit nicely on the front just outside the fence. The inlet water is supplied by the bilge pump.

LiveWell-082612-IMG_3078.jpg

LiveWell-082612-IMG_3080.jpg

LiveWell-082612-IMG_3083.jpg

LiveWell-082612-IMG_3085.jpg

oldjeep

Admiral

Dads fishin barge has one front and one rear. If you make your own then I'd suggest using a pump that is mounted in the boat and just has a tube to the water - his is mounted on the log and now that it burned out is going to require the boat to be put on the trailer to remove/replace.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Couple pics of mine- hose supplies live well & chemical porta potty for flushing- water supplied by a 1250gph bilge pump-

45 544.jpg45 545.jpg