i need help to to a check list in buying a new boat.

monterey98

Seaman
im buying a 2005 270 monterey this one to be exact http://boats.iboats.com/2005-monterey-270-cruiser-3899131-destin/1225131.html.

dealer says it has rebuilt engine with 20 hours one it. generator serviced with 80 hours on it.

i never had a cruiser that big, so what do i need to look into water testing and what not...looks like its a hell of a deal for $40k with a 32ft trailer that i can always sell.

a/c has been serviced as well...

later on i will need tips in how to flush everything...cause i think i got to flush the generator, engine/outdrive and the ac, all times when out of the water right?

thanks guys

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: i need help to to a check list in buying a new boat.

im buying a 2005 270 monterey this one to be exact http://boats.iboats.com/2005-monterey-270-cruiser-3899131-destin/1225131.html.

dealer says it has rebuilt engine with 20 hours one it. generator serviced with 80 hours on it.

i never had a cruiser that big, so what do i need to look into water testing and what not...looks like its a hell of a deal for $40k with a 32ft trailer that i can always sell.

a/c has been serviced as well...

later on i will need tips in how to flush everything...cause i think i got to flush the generator, engine/outdrive and the ac, all times when out of the water right?

thanks guys

I wonder what "serviced" actually means?

I would make sure everything works. Then have a marine surveyor go through the boat and give you the report.

Be on the lookout for any early signs of structural rot, etc.

I get an NADA average price of about $40K

The boat only has 1 engine, so it is not going to be the fastest thing on the water.

I wonder why a 7 year old boat needed a rebuilt engine?

I wonder why the boat is being sold after such a short amount of time on the rebuilt engine?

monterey98

Seaman

well...the owner is tired of boating...the old engine had water ingestion anyhow and he rebuilt it, hours on the boat shows 300 but 20 since rebuilt, generator has carb cleaned and ac pump changed, so, tomorrow i will test in the water and if everything looks fine, i guess it will be a awesome purchase for $36 with a 32ft trailer, total goes $40k (i got to give them $4k down)...
boat looks brand new on the outside as you can see on the pics, and the broker promise everything works...i will see tomorrow after get cleaned up today.

i too dont know how a 2005 engine got rebuilt, looks like he told me, the owner was backing up too fast or hard that the flappers on the y pipe didnt handle good and got water on top of the pistons, then he rebuilt it, and has been sitting since. for sale.

surveyor cost $500, i think its a little too much (he charge $20 per foot) i will go with my guts and all you all opinions.

thanks

colding

Seaman

$500 to assure you're not about to waste $40K doesn't seem like too much to me!

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

for some reason I'm not getting good vibes on this one?

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

surveyor cost $500, i think its a little too much (he charge $20 per foot)

Here in SoCal a hull surveyor runs anywhere from $11-14 per foot so yours comes out at $18.52 per foot if he's charging you exactly $500.

Even though you have all the info regarding the motor, you should still consider getting an engine/drive guy to do a check on that as well.

Mark

monterey98

Seaman

i called a surveyor and what he does is just the hull, no engine inspection and outdrive, if everything goes well with the sea trial tomorrow, if the engine dont shake and cranks right up, fuel sample, oil sample and compression test i can do it.

if im going to spend $350 (surveyor) and mechanic (im guessing $500) thats almost $1k.

any more input?

QUESTIONS:

1 - what temperature those manifolds should operates when hot?
2 - What compression we should see on the engine?

thanks

Andre

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you are financing that boat, talk to your lender. They probably have an approved survey list that they trust. If they don't like your choice of surveyor, you will have to get it done again for credit approval.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Ad I'm seeing says no trailer. Trailer for that rig will be $7-8k new, maybe more. Better get him to include that in the deal. It also doesn't say anything about the motor being rebuilt. Who's zoomin' who?

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer

Like Don said, check your lender for an approved real surveyor. Should include every system on the boat and they will give you a 26 page standard report that's good for 5 years, so you can change insurance or lenders.

Please, pay the money for a certified survey, then talk price, and no the broker can't read/copy the survey. If he wants a survey then he can pay for one.

http://www.pcmarinesurveys.com/choose your marine surveyor marine toronto.htm

http://www.navsurvey.com/ These guys should be in your area.

I'm with coastalrichard on this one, just doesn't feel right. Broker tells you 20 hrs. since rebuild and the ad "Engines 325 Hours SMOH" :confused:

Great Boat if it checks out.

monterey98

Seaman

well guys.
i spoke to another surveyor, is the same mechanic that rebuilt the carb on the generator and change the pump on the ac.
he said boat runs like new. bank does not require survey, broker are pushing me to do it. lol
i just dont have time. my wife wants to be in the water today... lol.... and the surveyor can get it done wednesday only.

i will do a sea trial now and see what happens i will check for head gasket replacement and all that.

the deal on the website was $40k without the trailer. the trailer is a oversized 32ft. i Offered $35 with the trailer....the owner accepted $37 so i took it.

what you all think?

tincanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

ask the wife how she will feel if you spend 40 grand on a boat that turn out to be a dud. Then ask her how she will feel about being off the water for months if not longer and spending 1000's of bucks to repair said boat. GET THE SURVEY. GET A CERTIFIED MECHANIC TO CHECK IT OUT.

Not saying this is going to happen, but it may. Your crazy if you don't.

tpenfield

Staff member

well guys.. . . the owner accepted $37 . .. .so i took it.

what you all think?

What could possibly go wrong? Hopefully nothing major. FWIW, when I bought my boat . . . my insurance company wanted a survey, and they were fine with the pre-purchase survey that I had done. So, you may need it for the insurance . . . you are getting insurance, right?

monterey98

Seaman

yes i got it already, they didnt ask me for survey neither the bank...but guess what...

sea trial was not good. Hull is in great shape like new, a/c works great really cold, generator as well, but 3 things im having issues, the guy ended up damaging the prop and i dont know if thats the cause but the boat vibrates a lot before planning, engine shakes too in idle speed, dont know if bad gas do that (1 year old), anyways, i saw boat a water leak on the head, no biggie could be a broken pipe or hose, dont know yet....but i never drove those big boats before...

windlass was shot, dont know what it is, and how much but, main thing is engine shakes on idle not on wot. I could plane easy and quick, took forever, dont know if i need to learn how to mess with the trim tabs, and boat shaking before reaching wot and plane.

i could see in my phone gps 35 top speed, trimming up the engine and trim tabs.

but i need some help to find if its normal for the engine to shake a little and vibrates the hull before planning.

sasada

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes i got it already, they didnt ask me for survey neither the bank...but guess what...

sea trial was not good. Hull is in great shape like new, a/c works great really cold, generator as well, but 3 things im having issues, the guy ended up damaging the prop and i dont know if thats the cause but the boat vibrates a lot before planning, engine shakes too in idle speed, dont know if bad gas do that (1 year old), anyways, i saw boat a water leak on the head, no biggie could be a broken pipe or hose, dont know yet....but i never drove those big boats before...

windlass was shot, dont know what it is, and how much but, main thing is engine shakes on idle not on wot. I could plane easy and quick, took forever, dont know if i need to learn how to mess with the trim tabs, and boat shaking before reaching wot and plane.

but i need some help to find if its normal for the engine to shake a little and vibrates the hull before planning.

Nooooo it's not normal for it to shake at idle or at WOT. However bent props can absolutely cause those things.

tpenfield

Staff member

In know to each his/her own, but it seems the typical process would be 'sea trial', then 'purchase', assuming all was acceptable. Was this a 'purchase', then 'sea trial'? So, do you now own these problems?

monterey98

Seaman

this is a sea trial then purchase, but i already gave him insurance 10% plus all papers from the bank lol...

now im going to sea trial again, i got the new prop from the shop tuned and everything, hopefully the hull wont shake and i can take possession and a discount to fix the windlass and bathroom pipe leaking....lol

wish me luck guys....if the hull shakes during plane im walking away from this deal...it was too good to be true, might be the reason why he is no selling.

see you all later...

sasada

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The shaking does sound like a fixable problem but much better to loose out on a deal than acquire a huge problem! Best of luck!

tpenfield

Staff member

this is a sea trial then purchase, but i already gave him insurance 10% plus all papers from the bank lol...

now im going to sea trial again, i got the new prop from the shop tuned and everything, hopefully the hull wont shake and i can take possession and a discount to fix the windlass and bathroom pipe leaking....lol

wish me luck guys....if the hull shakes during plane im walking away from this deal...it was too good to be true, might be the reason why he is no selling.

see you all later...

I'm just curious about what you said above . . . are you having to do all this work, like get a new prop (how do you tune a new prop anyway?) . . . or is the seller/broker doing this work?

What is "insurance 10%" ??? is that the 10% deposit that is typical with a boat purchase?

IMHO - this deal is not 'good', at best, it is OK. After all you are paying fair market value for the boat, and the boat has issues and needs some work.