Got the old '68 running much better than before - video

WA-Newb

Petty Officer 1st Class
After freaking out and thinking I fried the power pack while trying to fix a few bad wires on my 1968 Starflite
(original freak out thread: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=558917)
I finally got it back together and she started right up...and ran much better.

Again since I have no idea what this should sound like...how fast it should go etc. I am not sure if it really is running good or just seems like it to me.

Here is a video of it running now:

The main wire "I think" that was causing the "no start" problem...and maybe even the cutting out (again not sure) was the wire supplying power to the power pack.
View attachment 155127

Couldn't find a new connection and was going to just cut this off and hard wire it but decided to tear into it and was able to save the pin enough to solder the wire to it.
View attachment 155128

Inserting this into the plug / connector was a little difficult. Had to solder down the wire a lot farther to make it firm enough to push through the rubber and then grabbed it with needle nose and pulled it though.
View attachment 155129

I am not sure if this wire would cause the motor to cut out like it was on the first run or if it was a combination of things.
What I did in between runs:
- Fixed bad wires and grounds
- Adjusted the throttle cam roller thing a bit (not even sure I did that right...lol).
- Sprayed carb cleaner around carb several times.
- Disconnected auto choke
- Made sure throttle advance lever was moving freely (had wires taped to it)

Now if anyone has any advice for me to tune this thing etc. please let me know.
I know nothing about timing...carb adjustment, prop size, trim etc. so any help is greatly appreciated.

My new trim pins should be here tomorrow so I can adjust that if needed...current one is pretty much welded into place with corrosion.

BonairII

Commander
Re: Got the old '68 running much better than before - video

Lots of things that could make the motor 'cut out'. i.e spark plugs arcing, bad connections, etc etc

If you haven't actually removed the carbs and cleaned them THOROUGHLY.....do it now. Spraying carb cleaner is no substitute. A dirty carb can make cyl(s) run lean and ruin a motor in a hurry.

Probably a good time to install a tach. No way to tell if you're propped correctly "by ear".

WA-Newb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lots of things that could make the motor 'cut out'. i.e spark plugs arcing, bad connections, etc etc

If you haven't actually removed the carbs and cleaned them THOROUGHLY.....do it now. Spraying carb cleaner is no substitute. A dirty carb can make cyl(s) run lean and ruin a motor in a hurry.

Probably a good time to install a tach. No way to tell if you're propped correctly "by ear".

I am still thinking a carb removal / install is over my head...from what I have seen with vehicle cars there are a million little components and that kind of work is not for me...I don't think I would ever get it back together right to be honest. Maybe these carbs are easier...I just don't know.

I am also trying to figure out what tach to get or if a tach can be installed etc.
I asked about a tach in another thread and was told it would feed from the stator...I will read up on where to hook one up.

If a tach will for sure work with my motor...will any marine tach work?
I may be getting a free parts boat this weekend that does have a tach but it has / had an inboard motor.

Shane7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am still thinking a carb removal / install is over my head...from what I have seen with vehicle cars there are a million little components and that kind of work is not for me...I don't think I would ever get it back together right to be honest. Maybe these carbs are easier...I just don't know.

Omc carbs are real simple remove the linkage take the two mounting bolts off and remove then its just six to four screws on the bottom to take them apart and clean them they aren't like automotive carbs with all the ball bearings and other crap you should have no problem with putting them back together just make sure the float is set right

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

The carb on this engine is not the typical, 2 bolts holds her on carb. It is 4 carbs sharing a common body, one for each cylinder. It is held to the manifold with 10 bolts. For this one I would definately recommentd a good service manual, just for the exploded diagram. Four floats to set, four idle needles to adjust, this alone can take over an hour putting around on the lake, usually in circles.

WA-Newb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well based on the two last replies I am still a little scared...lol

I do have the original manual with this so I guess I should ask....if I start messing with this stuff can I break things or get to a point where I need to fork out $90 per hour and wait 4 weeks to have someone help get it running? Or will someone like me with no experience be able to fumble my way through as long as I can read and follow directions? While reading it was setting the floats that made me think this was over my head. When they say be sure to hold something a certain direction so it doesn't fall out there is usually more to it than that...and I am not good with tiny parts what so ever.

Usually when I am afraid to do something it's because of past experience and I know that I can get things torn apart but properly putting them back together and tuning is a whole different game....sort of the "if it aint broke don't fix it" thinking I guess.

I just don't know if it is broke in this case...lol

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

II do have some bad news. It will be very difficult, to find a gasket kit for this carb. So if you do take it apart, be very careful with the gaskets, you might be reusing them.

Willyclay

Captain

Wow, it sounds really good to me in the latest video! Will you come work on my 1968 Johnson 100 that has been inop due to ignition/electrical issues for years? Forum guru Joe Reeves told me OMC found out years after the fact that they received a bad batch of wire from one supplier in 1968. My wiring harness literally has no insulation remaining. There are so many parts that are NLA like carb gaskets that issue should be considered before you tear into anything.

Last edited:

WA-Newb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow, it sounds really good to me in the latest video! Will you come work on my 1968 Johnson 100 that has been inop due to ignition/electrical issues for years? Forum guru Joe Reeves told me OMC found out years after the fact that they received a bad batch of wire from one supplier in 1968. My wiring harness literally has no insulation remaining. There are so many parts that are NLA like carb gaskets that issue should be considered before you tear into anything.

The PO of this motor told me the wires were all shot and he replaced them...but I guess he only replaced the ones that were viably bad perhaps. Once I replaced the main power wire this motor seemed to "want" to run..soon as I turned the key it was like..."let's go"...lol

Thanks for the input form both of you about the NLA parts...I think the carb stuff is still over my head but if I get better at this stuff maybe I will try to track some NOS gaskets down.

On that note Willy...you wouldn't want me working on any motor of yours unless it was to tear down and part out...lol
I can get stuff apart but getting it back together is another story....just didn't have to do much with this one ..."yet" :)

BonairII

Commander

II do have some bad news. It will be very difficult, to find a gasket kit for this carb. So if you do take it apart, be very careful with the gaskets, you might be reusing them.

The OP can simply make new gaskets with a roll of gasket material available at any auto parts store.

WA-newb,
Don't be afraid to pull the carbs. Just lay out a clean cloth etc and lay out the parts as you take them off. You can always take pics/video of the carb(s) before/during the disassembly so you will know how it all goes back together.

Just work on one carb at a time. There really aren't that many parts to lose track of. Most carb cleanings don't require buying the "kits"...they just need a good cleaning with carb cleaner and/or carb soaking solution(if they are in rough shape).

Check youtube for carb cleaning vids.

Once they are clean....you won't fear them anymore. Carbs require periodic inspection/maintenance, so you're better off learning to clean etc them.....instead of being held hostage by mechanics.

If you get confused during the cleaning process....just make sure to post clear pics of the problem and we'll help you out.

Don't punch out the welch plugs(to clean idle passageways) unless you are sure you have the correct replacement plugs.
It's JMO, but I wouldn't bother with the welch plugs unless you're having a problem with your idle.