1983 Evinrude 115 rebuild

astroglass717

Recruit
I'm a shade tree mech. at best but I have 65lbs on one cylinder the rest are 110-125. It's definitely time for a rebuild, my question is can a rookie do this? Also I have searched everywhere for a service manual but no luck, the only thing I have found is a Ken Cook reprint are they worth the money? Seloc is a waist of money in my opinion. Any help or opinion will be appreciated.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1983 Evinrude 115 rebuild

Yes, get the factory manual, you might try E-BAY, sometimes they have manuals. Ken Cook is the only other option. They are expensive but worth the cost. Make sure you order by model number to get the correct manual.
With the manual, some experience with engines and the help of people here you should be able to do it.
You could get the manual and read through it and see if it is something you could do.

slimjohnson

Seaman

check marineengine.com for the fsm. I recently rebuilt my johnson 140 83 model with the help of these guys and the real service manual. Its not that bad if you are mechanically inclined.

slimjohnson

Seaman

rod cap alignment and crankcase cleaning and sealing are very critical. also search the forum. I believe that is a crossflow motor. There are a few good threads that you will find useful.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

At some point you'll need to decide if the engine needs to be overbored or not. Just one cyl, or all 4? A good marine block machinist will be helpful to you at this decision point. Ask around for someone that has a good reputation-it will be helpful to you.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm a shade tree mech. at best but I have 65lbs on one cylinder the rest are 110-125. It's definitely time for a rebuild, my question is can a rookie do this? Also I have searched everywhere for a service manual but no luck, the only thing I have found is a Ken Cook reprint are they worth the money? Seloc is a waist of money in my opinion. Any help or opinion will be appreciated.

Before you go too far have you pulled the heads? You may well need a rebuild, but you could get lucky and just need a head gasket.