1989 88 SPL no start

dahoopd

Cadet
Hello,

Last year everyone was nice enough to help me figure out the issue with the motor not going into gear. Well I was finally able to put it in the water the other day (yeah, Lame). Anyway, it was tough starting, I assume from sitting so long. It ran for about 5 minutes than stalled out. When I went to restart it, part of the ignition switch broke off and the switch was spinning in a complete circle. I replaced the ignition switch (push choke type) and now it wont even turn over.

I have all of the wires on the switch correctly, the battery is fully charged and the fuse on the side of the motor is good. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe the starter is bad? I tapped on it lightly with a hammer (like an old chevy) but that didn't help. I appreciate any offered, Thank you.

Damian

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1989 88 SPL no start

Have you checked to see if you have voltage to the starter solenoid when you turn the key to start, does the solenoid click?

dahoopd

Cadet

Have you checked to see if you have voltage to the starter solenoid when you turn the key to start, does the solenoid click?

Daviet, thank you for the reply. There is no clicking when you turn the key. How would I check the voltage? I am unsure what the solenoid is on an outboard.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Look at #30 below, that is the starter solenoid.http://www.ishopmarine.com/ishop/js...CatFilter=BRP&eCatSupFldr=supplier-100-005-EJ
There should be a battery cable from the battery going to one of the large posts, make sure you have voltage there. The other large post should have a cable that goes to the starter. There are 2 small terminals on the solenoid, a black one for ground and a yellow/red wire from the switch. The yellow/red should have voltage when you turn the key to start, the solenoid grounds through the black wire that goes to ground. Look at the schematic below, maybe it will help you out.
http://www.maxrules.com/graphics/omc/wiring/88_89_88_110.jpg

dahoopd

Cadet

Daviet,

Thank you for the help and I apologize for not responding sooner and updating the thread. I replaced the solenoid and still had the no start issue. I assumed 12.4 volts in the battery was enough to turn the boat over. I charged the battery due to it sitting and had 12.7 volts, but after letting it sit for a day, the volts drop back down to 12.4.