Jet vs I/O what's best for skiing??

rdtbay

Recruit
Our Family has been debating over the purchase of a couple of used boats that are for sale in our area. The first is a 2002 18ft bowrider with a Merc 3.0L I/O ( top speed of approx 42 mph). The second is a 2005 SeaDoo Sportster with the 155 Hp V-Tec engine c/w wake tower (top speed approx 50mph).

Our primary purpose will be recreational wakeboarding and water skiing. My son is 160lbs and very athletic, I?m about 180lbs and fairly athletic too. Neither of us have much experience water skiing, but we?re both keen on improving our skills and making use of a slalom course set up on the lake.

Could anyone comment on which of these crafts would give the best performance for skiing and wake boarding?

Also, could anyone comment on how the fuel economy might compare between these two boats?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!!

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Jet vs I/O what's best for skiing??

I think the IO will work better for what you are wanting from the boat. I have heard that the giant jet skis as I call them, are not real good out of the hole. They are great for safety because you have no spinning prop but the problem is with the low end grunt that you need with water sports. The jets need time to spool up and are not as efficient with the horsepower so you need more to compensate for the inefficiency of a jet drive. If the jet boat is topping out at 50MPH than I would guess that its hole shot is terrible, either that or it is very small. How big is your family. That should be driving the decision on the size of boat, if you have a few kids an 18 footer is going to feel real small after a bit on the lake.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I think you'd be better off with a more traditional prop-driven boat for watersports. I also think you'll want larger than a 3.0 in an 18' boat if watersports are your primary activity.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

I think the IO will work better for what you are wanting from the boat. I have heard that the giant jet skis as I call them, are not real good out of the hole. They are great for safety because you have no spinning prop but the problem is with the low end grunt that you need with water sports. The jets need time to spool up and are not as efficient with the horsepower so you need more to compensate for the inefficiency of a jet drive. If the jet boat is topping out at 50MPH than I would guess that its hole shot is terrible, either that or it is very small. How big is your family. That should be driving the decision on the size of boat, if you have a few kids an 18 footer is going to feel real small after a bit on the lake.

I'm not sure about the little jet boats and know that they are in many ways different, but PWC can ONLY be steered while under power. I have always considered this a big safety concern in my opinion. I have personally seen novices on PWC that panic, let off the throttle and try to turn away from somwthing only to find it doesn't work. Fortunately, the times I have witnessed it no harm has come to the operator or others. This would be something I would examine closely if I were considering one of the small jet boats like the Sea Doo. It might not be an issue, but I would definitely what to know before buying.

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

If your primary objective is to ski & wake board then I would suggest looking for an inboard. Buy a boat built for that purpose, such as Mastercraft, Malibu, Moomba, etc. Granted these boats can get pricey REAL fast, but I've see older models in great shape for a reasonable price. Also, the inboards are more expensive, but generally are easier on maintenance & easier to winterize.

I/O's are great boats (I own one). They will pull a skier, tube, & whatever else you put behind it. However, if you guys really get into wake boarding you will eventually find that you're unsatisfied with that I/O's wake.

As far as fuel economy, you're probably better off with the I/O.

If I were going to ski & wake board I would save up & get an inboard. I wouldn't bother with a jet drive.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Great question. The 130hp I/O isn't generally known for its skiing and wakeboarding prowess and neither is a Jet. I suggest going back to the drawing board and rethink either a larger I/O or seatrial each of your potentials for your purposes and discover how well each performs. That is also one of the lowest HP Jet boats I have heard of in a while.

Huron Angler

Admiral

PWC can ONLY be steered while under power

Isn't this true of all vessels? I've tried steering my boat by turning the tiller while the motor is not engaged and haven't had the best results:D

I'd agree with earlier posts that the jet may lack some hole shot torque that is helpful for skiing, etc.

Also what most people don't realize until it's too late...jet boats are safer...but also tend to suck ropes into the impeller which wreaks havoc and kills the whole program very quickly. If you do get a jet make sure you have floats that keep the ropes away from the impeller and keeping the line tight helps as well.

I've seen quite a few jet boats sitting at the marina awaiting someone to remove the ski ropes:eek:

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

The jets need time to spool up and are not as efficient with the horsepower so you need more to compensate for the inefficiency of a jet drive. If the jet boat is topping out at 50MPH than I would guess that its hole shot is terrible, either that or it is very small.

The 155 is a normally aspirated engine. No need to spool up. Also, that term refers to Turbochargers (driven from exhaust), not Superchargers (driven by the engine). Even superchargers do not need to "spool" up.

I have a Sea-Doo speedster 150 SCIC. It planes instantly. Hole shot is great! I will absolutely guarantee I can beat just about everything from a standing start.

That being said, I would not recommend a jet boat for skiing. The wake is terrible and the jet wash is obnoxious. For wakeboarding, the wake may be OK (I don't wakeboard so I don't know) but the jet wash would still be a concern I would think. For tubing, it's fine. Plus if the skier/wakeboarder weighing 160 lbs. pulls hard, they'll pull the boat.

Bottom line - I would recommend the I/O.

SoonerDustin

Recruit

Our Family has been debating over the purchase of a couple of used boats that are for sale in our area. The first is a 2002 18ft bowrider with a Merc 3.0L I/O ( top speed of approx 42 mph). The second is a 2005 SeaDoo Sportster with the 155 Hp V-Tec engine c/w wake tower (top speed approx 50mph).

Our primary purpose will be recreational wakeboarding and water skiing. My son is 160lbs and very athletic, I?m about 180lbs and fairly athletic too. Neither of us have much experience water skiing, but we?re both keen on improving our skills and making use of a slalom course set up on the lake.

Could anyone comment on which of these crafts would give the best performance for skiing and wake boarding?

Also, could anyone comment on how the fuel economy might compare between these two boats?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!!

Unlike what has been said here, I own a Yamaha 212X, which is a jet boat comparable to the one you are looking at. I am on plane in 2.5 seconds and at 30MPH by 5 seconds. Out of the hole is no problem. I weigh 270lbs and It pulls me right up out of the water on the wakeboard. It doesn't throw a monster wake like a mastercraft, natique, centurion, etc. but it's not horrible either. If you are a serious wakeboarder, I would suggest the I/O just for the wake it can throw. But it is more of a family boat, I'm kinda biased to the yamaha. You can get a great deal of info on the Yammi's at www.yamahajetboaters.com . Good luck in your search.

The jet wash isn't a problem when you are wakeboarding as you are not going fast enough for it to really shoot out there. If you are skiing, just make sure you have a long enough rope 75ft and the wash won't be a problem. Tubing with a 60 rope, the folks riding always get some spray....can be a tad annoying. I have sucked a rope up before, but with the Yammi, I have cleanout ports that allow me access to the impeller shaft. needless to say, the whole process out get the rope out took 15 minutes. The kids all learned thier lesson that day about watching the rope.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Isn't this true of all vessels? I've tried steering my boat by turning the tiller while the motor is not engaged and haven't had the best results:D

It is the difference between reduced steering effectiveness, and none whatsoever. As I said, I'm not sure about this category of jet boat, but the PWC's have absolutely no steering unless under power. My 16' Sea Ray and my old Starcraft could both be turned as long as there is forward motion of the boat through the water. Take a PWC doing 40 mph on plane and cut the power. Even though the PWC is still moving forward at a fast clip it now has NO steering. Do the same thing with a I/O, or a outboard boat and you can still turn it. Maybe not as effectively as when under power, but you can turn it.

cwhite6

Petty Officer 1st Class

Those Yamaha jet boats are really nice! Makes me consider getting one. :)

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

but the PWC's have absolutely no steering unless under power.

This is predominately true however some Mfg.'s (Sea Doo) have developed a fix for this phenomenon. Sea Doo refers to it as O.T.A.S. or 'off throttle assisted steering system'. Look for all Mfg.'s to have something similar very soon.

salty87

Commander

what type of boat are most people on the lake and hitting the course using?

mid-90's inboards are mostly wood-free stringers and deck (floor). you'd have all the power you'd need and better tracking than any of the others. a slalom skier running the course pulls the boat to the side with considerable force. you might find yourself wanting to upgrade in a few years.

have you ridden in a jet or io or inboard?....bring your ski's, vests and a rope.

ziggy

Admiral

perhaps another question that might need addressing that i don't know the answer too. i've mostly skied behind i/o's or o/b. but i've also skied behind a jetski. what the question would be is when i skied behind a jetski. being a slalom skier, i could pull the jetski off course very easy. even when i'd drive for others, that don't ski as good as i do, they'd pull me off course so fairly serious steering corrections had to be made. with and i/o, i had much better straight tracking it seems to me. what i don't know, maybe soonerdustin can answer is whether large jetboat like his yamaha have any of this issue..

SoonerDustin

Recruit

perhaps another question that might need addressing that i don't know the answer too. i've mostly skied behind i/o's or o/b. but i've also skied behind a jetski. what the question would be is when i skied behind a jetski. being a slalom skier, i could pull the jetski off course very easy. even when i'd drive for others, that don't ski as good as i do, they'd pull me off course so fairly serious steering corrections had to be made. with and i/o, i had much better straight tracking it seems to me. what i don't know, maybe soonerdustin can answer is whether large jetboat like his yamaha have any of this issue..

I've never had anyone pull the boat off course...tubing, skiing, wakeboarding...not one time. It really digs into the water, I can be going 45, turn on a dime and the boat will not even skid. Everyone on the inside is another matter though. :)

767Captain

Seaman

I'm a believer in using the right tool for the job. Since we're now into fishing, we have a real fishing boat. When we were into waterskiing, we had genuine ski boats: Malibu Skier, Mastercraft, Ski Nautique. All are true inboard, direct drive boats.

A typical runabout doesn't do anything remarkably well. You won't find a decent ski boat with either a jet or outdrive. I highly recommend getting a genuine ski boat, not a runabout if you plan on actually skiing. It will still do all the things a common runabout will do, and just as well. The fuel efficiency of a real ski boat is also better than either an I/O or a jet drive. The I/O's & jets simply have too much built-in inefficiency by nature of their design. Direct drive is just that: the engine drives straight thru the trans to the prop shaft. Very simple, and by far the superior setup of any marine drivetrain. No loss due to multiple gears, impeller waste, etc. Real ski boats also have a few more design feature that make them "ski boats"; typically two or three bronze skegs to enhance stability. Things like that.

Having owned a variety of ski boats as well as others, and driven some jets, (both water & air...) there's not a jet boat on the planet that will perform like a ski boat for actually pulling thru the slalom course, trick skiing, or even wakeboarding. Manufacturers now build very effective wakeboard boats, usually V-drive inboards.

shorts&chanclas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would go with the I/O between the two choices. But do highly recommend at least the 4.3 with a 19 pitch prop. Consider the inboards if you can and all you plan to do is ski and wakeboard. Otherwise a nice I/O will do all things you want pretty good. not outstanding but still good enough for fun.

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Given the choice between a 3.0L I/O or a SeaDoo, I would recommend neither. You would not be allowed on the course I run with either boat as they could not make the tight turns at either end of the course. Even I, who is not that strong of a skier, can pull a tournament ski boat while in the course.

Just like others have said, if your primary use is skiing and wakeboarding (if you have to), then go with a tournament ski boat. You will be happier, no one will kick you off the course and you will become a better skier.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I think the IO will work better for what you are wanting from the boat. I have heard that the giant jet skis as I call them, are not real good out of the hole. They are great for safety because you have no spinning prop but the problem is with the low end grunt that you need with water sports. The jets need time to spool up and are not as efficient with the horsepower so you need more to compensate for the inefficiency of a jet drive. If the jet boat is topping out at 50MPH than I would guess that its hole shot is terrible, either that or it is very small.

My jet boat, similar to a speedster, does 50+, is 17 feet long, and has enough holeshot to rip your arms out of your socket. I've pulled skiers, and I have yet to find anyone that can hang on to a start if I go full throttle without rolling on slowly. Jets usually have INSTANT power, and I tend to find any propped boat as sluggish in comparison. When I go full throttle the engine is revving to redline nearly instantly, and the jet is putting that power into the water just as quick. A propped boat has to go through the entire rpm band to get to max horsepower.

For that same reason they make great towboats... I've pulled 30 foot pontoons off sandbars with a fairly small jetboat, just because I can put more horsepower into the water than an engine that can't get to decent rpm's without cavitating or needing to move to unload the prop.

anyway, to the OP... This board is fairly anti-jet, just because they happen to be similar to PWC's. Modern jets are somewhat less efficient, but they aren't the big blocks of the '70s that most people have experience with. They will outmaneuver any prop drive, it isn't even a fair comparison. All that said, they suck for wakeboarding. Just not enough stuff hanging down in the water, and not enough mass in the boat. Skiing behind one is ok, especially one with a pylon mounted on the center of rotation. (won't budge the boat at all with a hard pull)

nobody mentioned the biggest advantage though... if you are in an area with skinny water, nothing beats a jet! I boat in a river that has lots of sandbars that tend to move around, I was driving in water a couple inches deep earlier today. Actually felt the boat lift a little, not sure if I bumped the bottom or just from the pressure wave.

Sikiguya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would recommend that you go rent one of each and try them. You will know what you like or don't like about each. But I agree, this board tend to slant toward the prop boats. I just wish you guys would ride in one. It will really change your mind!:D