Running at Night on Open Waters.

UncleWillie

Captain
The Fourth of July is coming up.
Cleveland Ohio puts on a mega fireworks display on the Lake Erie waterfront every year.
The plan is to anchor off shore to watch the show from the water, likely with another hundred boats doing the same thing.
We will get there during daylight, but the return trip will definitely be in total darkness. (10:30 - 11pm)
The launch/Recovery point is 15-20 miles away, so running at no wake speed is out of the question.
Boat is an 18 foot bow rider with a 220 hp V6 MPI. It can move, and handles 1-2 ft chop at speed nicely.

I have paper charts, Compass, Marine GPS, Depth Sounder, and all the safety equipment and required Nav lighting.
Navigation is expected to be a non-issue. These are Home waters to me.
If the weather is anything except clear, the trip is OFF!
I plan on running 1 to 2 miles off shore. Again, this is on the open waters of Lake Erie.
We will be doing a night shake down cruise before the big night.

I am looking for any advice from experience Night boaters. The obvious stuff is , well, obvious.
I expect a stampede just as the show is over, so waiting for the fleet to thin out is to be expected.
What am I overlooking that is not so obvious.

Oshkosh1

Ensign
Re: Running at Night on Open Waters.

One thing to remember that at night, distance between two vessels is exceedingly deceptive. You may THINK a boat is "far" away only to realize that it's actually very close. Be very aware of crossing/CBDR(Constant Bearing Decreasing Range) situations.

BonairII

Commander

If it were me, I'd have a spotlight onboard.

Any idea what the moon phase will be then? If there is no moonlight, running fast for that distance might be a scary proposition.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

If it were me, I'd have a spotlight onboard.

Any idea what the moon phase will be then? If there is no moonlight, running fast for that distance might be a scary proposition.

This year........ FULL MOON on July 4th, 2012 :D

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

we just had a big fireworks in the harbor for Opsail and when it was over, it was deathrace 2000. The issue isn't how you operate; it's the others.

The greatest danger IMO is someone who goes too fast running up your stern. The second danger is from the crazy giant wakes, which are especially dangerous for bowriders. Keep it trimmed up and be experienced in dealing with wakes (practice now). Third is a guy in front of you with no lights and/or who makes a sudden turn or reduces speed.*

Be sure all passengers have their PFDs on with a whistle and better,a light attached. Your cell phone is in a watertight case secure in your pocket. But don't go scaring them all to death about it; stay calm.

One challenge is crossing over to the side when you get to your destination. There are no turn signals. start making your way over early. At least in your case, after 20 miles the pack should be spread out. I think I'd stay as close to shore as possible and let the hot dogs pass you. Again you will eventually be spread out but at first it will be mayhem.

Tuck in behind a larger boat, although you may have to deal with diesel fumes.

Except for your nav lights, have all lights off and your dashboard covered (you don't need to see your guages). Only the GPS, turned all the way down--and don't stare at it. NO SPOTLIGHT!!!! You cannot risk it shining at another boater even for a second. You use a regular flashlight to briefly shine out and locate a marker. However, one of your crew should be facing astern with a flashlight, to signal an approaching boat from astern. Signal by moving the light back and forth, NEVER shine it at the other boat's driver. Carry a BB gun for anyone who shines one at you. OK not really on the last one.

Remember, GPS is not radar. On your way to the fireworks, observe any unlit hazards that are not on your chart and add them (drive up next to them and enter). My GPS leaves a trail where I go, so I can just follow it home. I don't know your shoreline but in a boat as small as yours I might run closer to shore to get out of the way of the big boats, at least at first.

I carry battery powered running lights in case my wired ones fail, but I have them anyway so I can't say it's worth buying them. Of course, you will check out your lights in advance and carry spare bulbs. If you can, consider illuminating your transom (a white light on the swim ladder shining at the stern?) so anyone following will see you better, just be sure it doesn't add ANY light to your field of vision.

I often run about 5 miles out and back alone night fishing in a busy harbor, as well as run marsh creeks in the dark where there are no lights. Sometimes the harbor is harder due to all the shore lights obscuring hazards and other boat traffic. Plus those big blackbarges and unlit dredge equipment.

*When I was leaving Opsail in the daytime, several large boats were running along putting up giant wakes. Control was difficult in my 21'. A (ahem) bowrider sofaboat in the middle of it decided it was too much and cut his speed to idle right in front of me. Not only was I in difficult control situation (surfing a 4' wake with a 3' crossing it) but I had a pack of boats coming up my back. Don't be that guy. Watch out for him, though.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Wear your PFDs!!! You may not be worried about running into or over anything, but that doesn't mean someone else isn't going to run into or over you! I imagine there will be quite a few folks out there with a "snoot full" and those are the ones you really have to look out for.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Some excellent advice here I think. We have fireworks around the Toronto harbour in the summer and I concur, it's a nuthouse, especially at the ramps afterwards.

The number of people who have no business in a kiddie pool with a rubber duck never mind roaring around doing stupid things with heavy powerful boats is astonishing.

Good luck, be safe, and enjoy the show.

(Oh, and that light fluffy stuff you may feel falling all around you during the show is soot from the fireworks. You may need a hose down later...:))

Alumarine

Captain

One thing to think of is to watch the fireworks from a greater distance than the majority of boats.
As soon as the event is over, leave. And leave quickly.

As Home Cookin' said it can be like deathrace2000. Last year I had a guy in front of me stop under a bridge as he thought full slow was best. Unfortunately the 200 boats coming didn't see his brake lights. Luckily everyone made it by. Depth perception if difficult.

And if it get's too crazy don't be afraid to carefully get out of the pack and wait it out.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

I couldn't imagine running on plane at night. I see the need to do so here, it just sounds like an invitation for trouble. You never know what's in front of you that you cant see.

With that said, I agree on the don't shine a spotlight directly at other boaters. I had that happen the other night. Nothing worse than being blinded by a large spot light. Good intentions, but of I can't see, poor execution!

haulnazz15

Captain

I see no problem running on plane at night, but not much faster. 20mph isn't exactly racing, even at night. Local lakes here in OK specify something like half-throttle or 30mph, whichever is less. I also disagree on the spotlight, as we have used one several times on dark nights. Keep the spot light pointed down at the water at all times and only use it sparingly to search for obstacles you think are nearby. It's not to be used to spot other boats, but if running near the shoreline it can be helpful to judge distance.

Oshkosh1

Ensign

A RED lensed flashlight to use at night for reading charts etc...so as not to loose your night vision. Try not to use ANY white light at least 15 min prior to getting underway.

Just make sure no one on the boat has a red pencil. A "friend" used to leave slightly inappropriate messages for the Quartermasters(the navigators in the Navy)in red pencil on the chart-table, only to be seen once dawn came:D.

Don't be shy about using your horn either.

And I don't know where all of this "using a spotlight" advice is from either...the LAST thing you want is to have it look like the battle of Savo Island out there. You're navigating...not spotting the "Tokyo Express" for close quarter battle.

KEEP THE SPOTLIGHTS OFF!!!! You not only will ruin YOUR ability to see well...but also potentially blind your "target" who then may make erratic changes in course/speed.

Where do you people come up with this stuff???

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've only been underway at night on a lake a few times. If the moon is out, it's relatively safe. If it's not....holy crud that's dangerous. Offshore in the saltwater I have radar and a I always have a few eyes looking out when we go underway at night. It's still sketchy and I run at about 7-8 knots. Any faster and I'm pushing water with the bow and losing fuel efficiency. I don't want to hop up on plane and cruise out at 20 knots...that's just crazy.

You're going on a moonlit night so you'll be okay. It won't be that scary, just don't feel the need to go all Joe Racer and run with the pack. Just make your way home safely with you and your family intact. Try it someday with no moon....it gets DARK.

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class

Like mentioned before, anchor a bit away from the crowd to make the getaway easier OR, wait a bit before taking off and let the yahoos go first. You have all the necessary gear. Just be careful and pay attention and don't go flying at full throttle, watch for wakes and enjoy the night cruise.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

All good advise, especially following a larger boat and marking hazards

in Florida on the Manatee River, there has to be about 2-3000 boats watching the fireworks. as soon as the show was over, imagine 2 miles of the river worth of boats starting up and trying to move. luckily most people keep the channel clear.

I was lucky the first year, followed a cruiser with swim lights and radar for 4 miles - it was like following a landing strip. got closer to the ramp, and had all the crab traps and markers marked

Another thought is simply to stay anchored for about 45 minutes while the crazies leave, then head out at a leisurely pace. Its my mode of operation now.

Ned L

Commander

If you truly understand the "rules of the road", running & navigation lights & what they mean it's not much different that running during the day, esp. with a GPS. - Certainly you need to be much more careful of all the others that don't know what they are doing (as has been mentioned above). The biggest thing for me is that I don't run any faster than I can really afford to hit that tree trunk (or whatever) because I can't see it in the dark. So the question of how fast you want to run is up to how lucky you feel, because no amount of planning, watching out for other boats that don't know what they are doing, knowledge, or preparation is going to make that piece of driftwood be somewhere else other than right in front of you.

UncleWillie

Captain

Thanks, everyone, for the advise.

Yes, PFDs on everyone!

I have a handheld spotlight, and flashlights, I only "plan" on using them during the last 1/4 mile to light the jetties at the recovery point if needed.
Glad you see it will be a Full Moon!

I have the option of launching much closer but imagine many more people would have the same idea.
The closest two recovery points are mega-ramps at 1 and 5 miles from the show.
I am using ramp #4 as it is closest to my house.

My plan, and I am willing to change it as any situation develops, is to go wide, well away from everyone and outrun the pack.
I don't imagine there are that many people that are going to be willing to travel nearly an hour by water to see the show, but you never know.

My real concerns are Deadheads in the water and Drunks on the other boats!
I think that if this didn't scare me then I didn't understand the dangers.
And if it wasn't scarry it wouldn't be so much fun/exciting.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

the only issue with trying to "outrun the pack" is that there will be many go-fast boats there that can run triple the speed you run. just make sure that your aware of boats coming behind you.

Thalasso

Commander

Wear your PFDs!!! You may not be worried about running into or over anything, but that doesn't mean someone else isn't going to run into or over you! I imagine there will be quite a few folks out there with a "snoot full" and those are the ones you really have to look out for.

You are right on with your observation. That would be one event i would find another view point. As you state there will be some real yahoo's out there.

BonairII

Commander

And I don't know where all of this "using a spotlight" advice is from either...the LAST thing you want is to have it look like the battle of Savo Island out there. You're navigating...not spotting the "Tokyo Express" for close quarter battle.

When I mentioned a spotlight, I hadn't realized that the OP was going to be running the 15 miles with a bunch of other boaters around him. I thought it was odd that that the closest boat ramp was 15 miles away, so I figured he was going that far for some personal reason.