Buying a boat...need advise

dswi

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am going to buy a boat. I will be a first time boat owner. I want to use it to ski (not professionally or anything). and just ride around the lake with my wife and 3 kids.

Here are a couple of my options...What input can anyone give me??

1984 Chettah 180 / Mercruzer 470 (owner says all maint has been done and has records to prove it for the last 7 years)
Some skis, ropes, life jackets, and such come with the boat. $2,500.00

1998 (owner says)...I believe it is 1993 though...Chris Craft 185 concept...OMC 4.3L engine, OMC Cobra outdrive...Boat has been sitting for about 3 years, cranked last year...Some cleaning will be required to make it look a whole lot better...

I haven't had either in the water yet, but plan to do that this coming weekend with each owner respectively.

What should I do??? I have also looked at a couple of 1984 Galaxy boats with Mercruizer I/O and Mercruizer outdrives.

Thanks for all of the input from the experts...

Darrin

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: Buying a boat...need advise

dont even think about the 470. do a search on here. Or better yet trust me.
dont even think about the OMC " "

The Mercuiser will be worth the look. take an expert.
Try to find newer. trust me.

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Run from all of the boats you mentioned!

1. Don't buy emotionally.
2. Stick with Chevy powered Mercruiser (no 470's though) or Volvo Penta drivetrains.
3. Have someone who you trust explicitly inspect any potential boats for you.
4. Don't buy based on price. Really cheap boats can mean really expensive repairs.
5. Take a boaters safety course and read, read, read iboats!

Cheers!

dswi

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Why not 470's. The guy said that he has the records to prove maintenance...water pump every other year, out drive oil every year, oil every year, etc...

Philster

Captain

They are frankensteins in design. Just skip it for now and take up the 470 discussion somewhere else. They are a failed experiment by Mercruiser. Pinto, Chevette, Yugo, Merc 470... get it?

"The guy said..."

Whatever 'The guy said' when selling a boat is worth zero.

Trust me: Been boating my whole 45-year old life. You want help buying a used boat, then put some faith in what you find here.

Buying OMC is out because the parts are hard to find and getting harder and more expensive and they've been out of the I/O biz since the last millennium.

Can you please tell us where you live, boat and your budget? We like background. It helps.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats.

The 470 motors have a BAD reputation along with OMC outdrives too. The 470 develop electrical issues, cooling issues, cam seal issues and more. The parts are getting harder and harder to find.

You can not buy on appearances and you will get the best advice here on iboats....... it may not be the answer you are seeking but it will be honest!

If you want to start boating with the family that is a great idea. Take a Coast Guard Boating Safety Course and have fun.

Whatever your budget is just be advised that boating is fun but not cheap ;)

tpenfield

Staff member

Yea, owner said this and that. . . Keep in mind it is all designed to sell the boat.

None of the engines mentioned are winners. And your budget is problematic in that it is going to get you into a boat that will need extra money in repairs, restoration, etc.

So, you may not be able to live the dream with just a few thousand $$$$. You would have to find a diamond in the rough, and for a newcomer to the boating scene that will be a nearly impossible feat.

tomrander

Recruit

I agree with the advice you are getting. I wish I would have known about this site before I took the "free" boat I was given. Take someone with you and dont buy because it looks like a good deal.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Your two biggest concerns with inexpensive used boats are obsolete power plants (the guys have you covered here already) and rot in the wooden components of the hull (deck, stringers, transom). A boat with rot is unsafe and properly repairing it is a big job and the required materials aren't exactly cheap. Check any potential purchase very carefully. ANY soft spots in the deck are usually indicative of more serious rot below in the stringers. You want a rock solid deck and transom. It's a little tougher to check out a transom but some indicators of possible rot are stress cracks in the fiberglass and/or brown stains under fasteners and fittings.

For the least chance of financial ruin, I'd recommend an aluminum hull with an outboard motor but that's my personal preference and others will disagree.

hostage

Lieutenant

Your best choice is the one you already selected, coming here first before buying anything. Also as many others suggest, what is your budget, location, and etc.

I would pass on those boats you listed.

Cowthief

Seaman

If the guy didn't know what year it was, think about all the other things he "thought" he knew but didn't.

dswi

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Budget is $3,000.00

How about this one???

Ok I have a 1989 arriva boat with title in hand. just refinished back seat, sundeck, and a couple other seats. Has new sony explode cd player and speakers. Redid floor capartment where ski go in. has trailer and ski ropes and tube. New starter with bolts. Complete tune up. Still needs some odds and ends. Soft spot in floor. Going to get detailed next weekend. Any questions ask away. It is at storage facility right now while seats get worked on. Has 3.0 motor with alpha 1. Has 2 live wells. Anchors. Has rebuilt battery.

What do ya'll think??

Philster

Captain

I think it's full of rotten wood if he had to redo a ski locker AND it has a soft spot. These are big RUN flags.

An older bow rider or runabout must be a covered/pampered garage queen to last this long without major structural issues. 90% are junk and a trained eye can spot the good ones.

You don't not want a rotten boat. The floor can collapse, and as a few others very recently discovered here, the transom (back structure that holds drive or motor) can pull away and sag, crack and leak.

That's from the wood structure rotting away.

Fiberglass boats are full of wood.

3k is best spent on an alum boat with a basic outboard... or maybe an older center console that was sparse, utilitarian and whose deck was glassed and self-draining.

Philster

Captain

Something closer to this:

http://greenville.craigslist.org/boa/3076392431.html

And if you can push your budget a little, and negotiate a little, then maybe not this, but along these lines:

http://asheville.craigslist.org/boa/3040476140.html

The reality is it might be cheaper to spend more now.

(edit: I see the requirements w/ three kids + wife. I am posting the type of boat to consider, and acknowledge the layouts might be tougher, but they can be do-able if you are handy enough to add in a bench seat.)

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer

The 3.0L/Alpha 1 combo on the arriva is a great starting point. What's a rebuilt battery? Never knew they could do that. As previously mentioned, do your self a favor, for first boat look for a boat with an outboard motor. Much less stuff to go wrong. I/O's require a lot of annual maintenance comparatively speaking, and that maintenance cannot be skimped on. If you are not mechanically inclined this can get kinda expensive.
If you're bent on I/O's you need to know when the last time all the bellows were serviced, when was the engine aligned last, water pump service, and aaaaaalllllllll the other maintenance that goes along with it.

saumon

Lieutenant

Budget is $3,000.00

How about this one???

Ok I have a 1989 arriva boat with title in hand. just refinished back seat, sundeck, and a couple other seats. Has new sony explode cd player and speakers. Redid floor capartment where ski go in. has trailer and ski ropes and tube. New starter with bolts. Complete tune up. Still needs some odds and ends. Soft spot in floor. Going to get detailed next weekend. Any questions ask away. It is at storage facility right now while seats get worked on. Has 3.0 motor with alpha 1. Has 2 live wells. Anchors. Has rebuilt battery.

What do ya'll think??

- Ski compartment redone + soft spot = rotten to the bone, run away
- Don't fall for the ski rope, cd player, pfd's or whatsoever included, they meant nothing
- A sea trial is MANDATORY; if any seller tell you it's impossible due to any reason, run away
- I've never heard of a rebuilt battery!!!

jkust

Rear Admiral

I love giving advice. Increase your budget, change your expectations, or suddenly gain a lot of time, skill and tools to refurb a 3k boat that old. I'm hearing all the standards here from someone with a low budget new to the language of boats; OMC, 470, soft spot, a few odds and ends, seller say, 198x. It's like you are learning a new language but conjugating all the verbs incorrectly.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Arriva's are Bayliners. Very sharp looking ones but fairly low-end build quality nonetheless. Most of the Arriva's I've seen were in the 19'+ range and would be underpowered with a 3.0.

RMasters

Seaman

"I am going to buy a boat. I will be a first time boat owner. I want to use it to ski (not professionally or anything). and just ride around the lake with my wife and 3 kids.
Here are a couple of my options...What input can anyone give me??"

Get your kids educated. If you ski and your wife (presumable) is driving the boat, you are legally required to have an observer watching you. Unless you take someone else, one of your kids has to do that, and they better know how to do it, or someone can get hurt.

bcbit01

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Buying a boat...need advice

Re: Buying a boat...need advice

I've been in your shoes. Three years ago, my Dad gave my brother and I a '79 Sea Ray closed bow with Merc 165 L6. He couldn't sell it for what he thought it was worth and had two boats so.....we got it. Boat is dry and indoor stored, immaculately cared for (you could eat off the bilge until the trim reservoir started leaking). Sounds great right? We've got her well sorted now but that's after $1,500...and a TON of hours learning and wrenching (and learning to wrench on Mercs...LOL). We were lucky. Anyway, my point here is this: Most buyers of brand new boats get the most expensive thing they can afford without budgeting for regular maintenance. Preventative service, winterizing, de-winterizing, regular maintenance, etc. is expensive....$100's a year (even when nothing breaks) if you're paying to have it done. Doing it yourself is a cheaper alternative but many people skimp (takes too long, don't know how, don't have the tool). Without proper maintenance, things get neglected...then they fail...then those failures cause deterioration of other systems or structures (some are hidden), etc, etc, etc. A good survey (not necessarily by a marine surveyor but someone you trust to be both knowledgeable and in your corner) and well-documented service history would be a minimum for anyone (especially a newbie) to buying ANY boat of that age or price. On top of that, anyone that has owned a boat for any length of time and really takes care of it should be pretty intimately acquainted with her. A lack of knowledge on the part of the owner when you ask basic questions is an indication of ignorance or neglect....either way a bright red flag.