Is this an automotive distributor and starter?

gwizzar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I need to replace the carb and fuel pump.. headed to the marine shop in a few hours... does the distributor and starter/solenoid look automotive in nature or marine? Do you recommend I swap out for marine if undetermined? Thanks!P6090078.jpgstartersole.jpgstartersole2.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Is this an automotive distributor and starter?

Ayuh,.... Can't say, 'bout the starter, but Ya, the distributer is automotive, 'n NOT marine...

The vacuum pot is a dead give-away...

gwizzar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You were right, Bond! Took pics to marine shop and I basically have a marine block but everything else, distributor, spark plugs, carb, alternator, fuel pump, is auto. I suspect the starter/solenoid would be also after all this. $1500 to replace all. It's going to be a busy weekend coming up!

dmoss8928

Petty Officer 2nd Class

gwizzar....
I have a 2008 mercruiser w/ a 4.3 and I needed to replace my starter / solenoid so I took mine off and went to O Rileys and they gave me an older model blazer starter / solenoid and they only differance is the one I got from them only had two post on it where the one that came on the boat has 3 just like yuors. They told me I could put two of the smaller ends on one post and it would work, well they were wrong. I started the boat with the new starter and I ran for about 3 senconds and cut off. When I went to turn the key I had NOTHING and after hours of troubleshooting and talking to Bond and Don on here I found a hidden fuse that I had blown with the new starter.

I wanted to let you know before you buy the wrong starter from a auto shop. Make sure it has all 3 post.

And I was also told by the marine shop they the marine starters are sealed so if you have a gas leak it won't blow up....

David

gwizzar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

gwizzar....
I have a 2008 mercruiser w/ a 4.3 and I needed to replace my starter / solenoid so I took mine off and went to O Rileys and they gave me an older model blazer starter / solenoid and they only differance is the one I got from them only had two post on it where the one that came on the boat has 3 just like yuors. They told me I could put two of the smaller ends on one post and it would work, well they were wrong. I started the boat with the new starter and I ran for about 3 senconds and cut off. When I went to turn the key I had NOTHING and after hours of troubleshooting and talking to Bond and Don on here I found a hidden fuse that I had blown with the new starter.

I wanted to let you know before you buy the wrong starter from a auto shop. Make sure it has all 3 post.

And I was also told by the marine shop they the marine starters are sealed so if you have a gas leak it won't blow up....

David

Thanks, Dmoss. I took the stater to the marine shop earlier and it IS an automotive starter. Here's the story.. I purchased the boat for nearly nothing as my neighbor needed money for his daughter's high school graduation party. He "inherited" the boat from his father-in-law and said the engine had been rebuilt a couple of years ago. WRONG... After taking many, many pics to the marine shop about 8 miles away, what happened was the old engine was pulled and replaced with a marine block, BUT everything else was automotive... the starter/solenoid, distributor, spark plug wires, carburetor, alternator, and fuel pump ARE NOT MARINE. I just order everything for over $1,500. My neighbor has spent the past three years taking his wife, son and daughter, and friends out on this vessel religiously and I'm thinking this was a tragic explosion waiting to happen. How the heck can a mechanic knowingly with a clear conscious sleep at night knowing he or she pretty much set these folks out on a ticking bomb?!!! WTH!!!

rickryder

Commander

For some people it's all about $$$$ or they are just plain stupid.... That could have been catastrophic. Glad your doing it the correct way! Good luck with your new vessel and I wish you and your family many great trips and fond memories ;)

dmoss8928

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All some people want is your money!!