Tools and Parts for Volvo SX Transom Service

83Evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class
Will be performing transom service on my 2004 VP SX outdrive after the season ends. Would like to change the Gimbal bearing, Both belows and probably U-Joints. Should anything else be replaced while I'm in there?

I have questions about parts and tools. On the Gimbal Bearing and Belows, are aftermarket (Sierra, Mallory etc.) ok or should I go for Genuine VP parts? Doesn't look like VP sells the U-joints only a complete shaft assembly. I do have a VP SX Outdrive Manual (Thanks, Don S).

iBoats sells a complete transom seal kit here
iBoats sells U-Joints here but I'm not sure which I need, any ideas?

I know I will need an Alignment Tool and probably a Gimble Bearing Installation Tool. Is there a Gimbal Bearing Seal and if so is a Tool Required for this? Any tools required to remove and replace the Belows?

Is this Alignment Tool ok?
The same seller sells this to install the Gimbal Bearing

He also sells tool sets, this one has the Alignment Tool, Gimbal Bearing Installation Tool and Gimbal Bearing Grease Seal Installation Tool. Does my outdrive have a Gimbal Bearing Grease Seal?

This set has all of that plus a tool for the belows.

Which tools should I have for my outdrive?

My outdrive does not have a trim tab fin. It does appear to have a hole to mount one, but no scratches in the paint where one has been. iBoats sells a Sierra replacement one here.
Did Volvo not put fins on some outdrives? I have not noticed any problems with steering torque, should I order one?

Any advice on parts or installation (tips, techniques etc.) will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tools and Parts for Volvo SX Transom Service

That looks like a good set of tools. Why are you replacing the u-joints and gimbal bearing? Are you having trouble with them?

I prefer to use the Volvo bellows on my boat.

If you have power steering on your boat, you don't need a trim tab.

83Evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

That looks like a good set of tools. Why are you replacing the u-joints and gimbal bearing? Are you having trouble with them?

If you have power steering on your boat, you don't need a trim tab.

Do I need all four of those tools, If not which one's?

When I bought the boat the Gimbal Bearing was making noise, and the PO admitted he had forgotten the plug and the bilge water got high. I had the noisy bearing replaced and the mechanic said the bellows looked good and the U-Joints seemed ok. Also had to have the starter rebuilt as it started making noise a few weeks after we bought the boat (corroded from the high water).

There is still some mild vibration when making a tight turn to retrieve a skier so I'm suspecting the U-Joints are a bit loose. All my previous boats were outboards so maybe its the nature of an I/O but doesn't feel quite right to me. The Gimbal Bearing the mechanic installed is now making a slight bit of noise again so I'm trying to be prepared to replace it again, along with the bellows and u-joints.

There is no water coming into the boat but I figure as long as I'm in there might as well make everything good.

Yes, the boat has power steering, does Volvo not put trim tabs on the outdrives that have it? Parts breakdown appears to show one, I would have thought power steering would have been standard on all models.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

All I/Os have some vibration when making a tight turn, especially if the turn is done with quite a bit of power supplied.

How do you know your gimbal bearing is making noise? I would wait and pull off the drive and inspect the gimbal bearing by turning it by hand before condemning it.

You don't need all the three tools. As far as the gimbal bearing seal, I never even bother with that one...it isn't very critical. If you need to install the gimbal bearing, that tool that sits on the end of the alignment bar would be nice to have. You definitely need the alignment bar as you want to check the alignment annually.

How long ago did you have the drive off?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You don't need the bellows installation tool. That is for Mercruisers.

You don't need to replace the exhaust bellows unless they are torn. If I was to replace my bellows, I would put the exhaust tube on instead.

83Evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

All I/Os have some vibration when making a tight turn, especially if the turn is done with quite a bit of power supplied.

What I'm feeling may well be fine then.

How do you know your gimbal bearing is making noise?

I can hear a bearing/scratching noise anytime the engine is running. It's the same sound I heard before the mechanic replaced the original bearing only much quieter. Right after he replaced it there was no noise at all.

You don't need all three tools. As far as the gimbal bearing seal, I never even bother with that one...it isn't very critical. If you need to install the gimbal bearing, that tool that sits on the end of the alignment bar would be nice to have. You definitely need the alignment bar as you want to check the alignment annually.

How long ago did you have the drive off?

Sounds like I only need the Alignment Tool and the Gimbal Bearing Installation Tool.
I don't believe the original owner ever did anything to the engine and outdrive except change the engine oil and filter every year and put sta-bil in the fuel. Fortunately he lived in south Texas, kept the boat inside (no freeze problems) and only used it in fresh water.

Since we bought the boat in mid July, I have changed the Impeller, Lower Unit Oil, Fuel Filters, Spark Plugs, Cleaned the Flame Arrestor, pulled the Starter to be rebuilt, and paid a mechanic to pull the outdrive & replace the original noisy Gimbal Bearing the high bilge water killed. The outdrive was pulled when the bearing was replaced a few days after we bought the boat (six weeks ago).

I've had boats for many years but its my first Stern Drive. I knew this boat was behind on maintenance but got a pretty good deal on it, and figured I could catch it up considering its not very old. So far the starter was the only real surprise as I knew the Gimbal Bearing was out.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You replaced the original gimbal bearing this last July? There should be no reason that this new gimbal bearing needs to be changed.

It is possible that he did not grease the gimbal bearing or installed it so that the grease hole on the bearing was not lined up and no grease was able to be forced into it from the external grease fitting. Also possible that he didn't align the engine to the drive which put more force on the gimbal bearing.

Definitely worth pulling the drive and taking a look at things. A long time ago when I had to change the alignment on a Cobra, things definitely quieted up. It is possible that this is your case as well.

83Evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

You replaced the original gimbal bearing this last July

Yes, a Volvo mechanic replaced it mid July this year.

It is possible that he did not grease the gimbal bearing or installed it so that the grease hole on the bearing was not lined up and no grease was able to be forced into it from the external grease fitting. Also possible that he didn't align the engine to the drive which put more force on the gimbal bearing.

I have pumped grease into the new fitting, if he didn't line it up correctly would I be able to do that? I'll call and ask if the alignment was checked when the bearing was installed.

Definitely worth pulling the drive and taking a look at things. A long time ago when I had to change the alignment on a Cobra, things definitely quieted up. It is possible that this is your case as well.

Yes, that's why I'm wanting to line up tools and parts so I can do so myself.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I have pumped grease into the new fitting, if he didn't line it up correctly would I be able to do that? I'll call and ask if the alignment was checked when the bearing was installed.
Best thing to do is to take the drive off, pump in the grease and make sure that new grease is being forced into the bearing and old grease is forced out. You will be able to see this. At the same time that you pump the grease in, rotate the bearing so the whole bearing gets grease in it. Maybe the mechanic didn't do this step and the bearing didn't get properly lubed.