1973 evinrude lark 50, Key Shocks you....

Chainlake

Recruit
Here is a new one...Anybody ever get a 12v shock from the igniton key?

I was running my boat last weekend and leaned over the side to dip my hand in the water. The side of my chest was touching the key in the remote and as soon as I touched the water I got a shock from the key. (fiberglass boat, motor was running)

Most likely a ground issue which might explain why the motor won't shut off with the key (I have to choke it out every time)

Anybody have this issue before and can advise me where to start looking?

Thanks in advance,

Chainlake

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1973 evinrude lark 50, Key Shocks you....

Sounds like you have a broken wire in either the black/yellow or black wires that run from the key switch to the power pack.

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You were feeling a lot more than 12V on your key switch... Rather, you were feeling the high CD ignition voltage from the black/yellow wire that your key switch is supposed to connect to ground to turn your engine off. You had mentioned this isn't happening on your motor. Either the ground isn't making it to your key switch or the switch has failed.

Chainlake

Recruit

You were feeling a lot more than 12V on your key switch... Rather, you were feeling the high CD ignition voltage from the black/yellow wire that your key switch is supposed to connect to ground to turn your engine off. You had mentioned this isn't happening on your motor. Either the ground isn't making it to your key switch or the switch has failed.

OK, So if I have this right the Black/Yellow should be good as the CD voltage is getting to the Key switch. This only leaves the black ground wire, the connections on either end or the switch itself as the fail point.

One question. Is the stern end of the ground wire from the remote connected to a motor terminal somewhere or does it go right back to the battery?

Thanks a ton....

Chainlake

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm not sure exactly where the motor harness is connected to ground on your motor. Nonetheless, I would first start at the key switch and work my way back. If you put a voltmeter or test lamp across the battery positive and ground connections to the key switch, you should be able to see if the ground is present or not. If it is, then it is probably time for a new key switch. If it isn't, then you need to start checking the ground connection back to the motor. The diagram below should help.

Chainlake

Recruit

Thanks a ton for the diagram. Should be easy to track down now.

Thank's again,

Chainlake