9.9 Merc prop installation question

KenL

Recruit
Ok here is the situation. My sister in law was using my 1987 9.9 to get across the lake since her boat was on the fritz. From what I gather she over loaded the 14' boat with 4 adults, 2 kids and a ton of stuff....she ran my motor full out all across the lake and blew the seal in the prop.

Her useless friends thought they knew what was wrong and pulled the prop off to see if they could fix the problem....not likely since none of them could hold a wrench.

Now I have a new prop and am going up this weekend to install it. The problem is I don't know if they put all the pieces back in the correct place/order. There are only a few pieces that wouldn't normally be a problem if I had taken it off myself, but since they did, I am not sure what goes where.

Does anyone have a picture/schematic of the prop being installed showing the parts right behind it? I doubt I can purchase a manual before this weekend.

Any help would be appreciated.

Oh and BTW, she and all of her friends are now BANED from all of my boats. I have had it fixing problems I didn't cause.

Thanks, Ken

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 9.9 Merc prop installation question

I'm a little confused, there is no prop seal, there is a prop shaft seal though, but running wide open would have nothing to do with it failing.

There's not much to removing or replacing the prop on 9.9s and there's a link here someplace that that will show a parts breakdown.

Since this isn't a real prop question, you may want to ask this in the Merc forum, you'll get a quick answer there.

KenL

Recruit

Thanks for the correction, it is the prop shaft seal that I think has failed.

Engine reving up and no movement when going above low speed.

There was no damage to the prop (I think it has less that 20 hours on it) so I am going to try this route first.

It's the end of the season to so I have 1 or maybe 2 visits to the cottage left.

Any ideas on what to search for to find the parts breakdown? I searched for hours and found nothing. I must be looking with the wrong string

Ken

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like the rubber hub in the prop is slipping.

Unless you have water in the lower unit, or oil leaking out near the seal, you don't have an issue with it. Plus the seal has nothing to do with forward motion or operation of the lower unit, other than keeping water out and oil in.

KenL

Recruit

Can the rubber hub in the prop be replaced? I was told the prop is toast when it starts to slip.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Yes it can be fixed, just take it to a local marine dealer and you should have it back in a week.