Help crackshaft spline cleaning

marcxs

Recruit
OK I struggled mightily getting the lower unit off my 1993 250TXRR it finally dropped. Trying to reinstall it back up but it is not happening. I suspect the splines are not in the best of shape. Ideally I want to try hitting them with penetrating oil and wire brush. I'm fabricating a long tool w/ wire brush (25" shaft) and contemplating what I can use to shoot oil up at it. Hoping this will help clean the splines that I'm sure are full of crude/rust? Any ideas would be helpful. My mechanic is telling me it looks like a lost cause ! Is this really true ?

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Help crackshaft spline cleaning

As long as the splines are engaging and transmitting the power down the driveshaft, then it shouldn't matter that much. Clean and grease them best you can and re-assemble....go fishing.;)

marcxs

Recruit

As long as the splines are engaging and transmitting the power down the driveshaft, then it shouldn't matter that much. Clean and grease them best you can and re-assemble....go fishing.;)

Thanks for responding! The problem is the reassembling ...Haven't been able to get the lower unit back up. I will try some of the suggestions I've read here on getting it back in. Thanks.

robert graham

Admiral

It may not be the driveshaft splines that's giving you trouble. The shifter shaft and water tube also have to line up just right. You might try rotating driveshaft a bit so splines will line up better for re-assembly. Lost cause?...it was together when you took it apart, so no reason it shouldn't go back together....just keep at it, and it'll go! Good Luck!:)