Drainage Port Removal

cleo1613

Recruit
Hey Guys,
Just bought my first boat and I need to replace the transom. I've been reading many of the other threads on this topic and have finally plucked up the courage to start. I have a couple of questions. My boat is an aluminum 1984 Grumman 16CC and is powered by a 2004 Johnson 50 HP. The gas tank and oil reservoir are in front of the engine. Above these is an aluminum cowling (sorry, I don't know the correct terminology yet) which has a couple of drainage ports. I can't figure out how to remove them and where I would get replacements? I've included some photos to help explain what I'm talking about because I wouldn't know what I was talking about. Secondly, the plywood transom appears to be a tight fit. It's 2 inches thick and is made up of 2 three-quarter sheets with a half-inch sandwiched in-between. Will the multiple coats of epoxy make it really difficult to slide the new transom back in?
Thanks
Colin

IMG_1936e.JPGIMG_1939e.JPGIMG_1941e.JPG

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Drainage Port Removal

Welcome to iBoats!
You just use a chisel or a large flat blade screw driver and mash the lip inward and then drive the brass tube out the other side. You will need to remove rivets and screws to remove the splashwell and top cap of the transom to gain access to the wood to remove it. You may also have knee braces below to deal with.

WelcomeAboard.jpg

wlg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Colin,

I replaced my drain tubes with a two peice plastic tube that I got from West Marine. They lock together as you push them together.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Personally I would use a sawsall with a metal blade.

Make two slices inside the tube..then screwdriver and a hammer :) .

YD.

cleo1613

Recruit

Thanks for the replies. The tubes wlg is referring to sound ideal. I'd thought about a sawzall too but I'm afraid I might cut into the aluminum. I'm hoping I can find a circular cutter small enough to fit inside the tube that will fit on my Dremel?

Colin