Newbie with several questions

cuzzzz

Cadet
Just picked up my first boat and trailer for $1000.00 and it has a johnson 90 V4 that I just got cranked. The lower unit has a few hairline cracks in the housing (from freezing I guess) and the previous owner used some good old J.B. Weld on it trying to fix it. My question is how much would it cost me to replace or rebuild the lower unit. The floor is solid the seats and console are gone.So my next question is what are the best seats for the money and where do I get them. The boat has what I believe to be a hard top frame that you can lay down. does any company make a canvas cover for these or should I toss it and buy a bimini top instead. Toons are nearly perfect when I took out the plugs they released air so no holes. The trailer is a 1986 marine tracker for a party barge. I like the trailer but hate those little golf cart wheels and tires. I figure at 1000 bucks this was a good deal even if the motor turns out to be junk the trailer should be worth that. Hope to hear some good advice. Sounds like some very knowledgeable people here.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Newbie with several questions

Just picked up my first boat and trailer for $1000.00 and it has a johnson 90 V4 that I just got cranked. The lower unit has a few hairline cracks in the housing (from freezing I guess) and the previous owner used some good old J.B. Weld on it trying to fix it. My question is how much would it cost me to replace or rebuild the lower unit.

Inquire at a competent marine service facility in your area. My guess is about a grand.

The floor is solid the seats and console are gone.So my next question is what are the best seats for the money and where do I get them.

I would first check for any marine surplus dealers in your area. If no dealers are in your area, then research the internet. You'll find lots of new seats and consoles available.

The boat has what I believe to be a hard top frame that you can lay down. does any company make a canvas cover for these or should I toss it and buy a bimini top instead.

If the company is still in business, you may be able to get the cover from them. Any canvas shop could make one as well.

Toons are nearly perfect when I took out the plugs they released air so no holes. The trailer is a 1986 marine tracker for a party barge. I like the trailer but hate those little golf cart wheels and tires. I figure at 1000 bucks this was a good deal even if the motor turns out to be junk the trailer should be worth that. Hope to hear some good advice. Sounds like some very knowledgeable people here.

Good luck with your rebuild.

samm835

Chief Petty Officer

For the seats, I would use a Company called Veada.com. I used them for my replacements and they are great. The pricing is good, color choices are great as well. Good Luck, for your lower unti problems, you might look into just replacing the whole thing if you have cracks in it.

pugbro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Another good source is www.pontoonstuff.com . I recently did a complete rebuild on my 1989 Bass Tracker Pontoon...The shipping at Pontoonstuff cant be beat. I ordered my seats, console, carpet etc on a Sunday night around 9:00pm and they were sitting in my drive on Tuesday....Oh yeah, shipping is free on most items.
The folks here at Iboats offer a lot of good buys on almost anything for your boat also.
Good Luck!

KEEP IT FUN...KEEP IT SAFE!

spingley

Seaman

Regarding the issues with the lower unit, I cannot offer any advice except to suggest posting that question on the Johnson Evinrude Forum. You will get a lot of help from some real knowledgable people who hang out there. Or maybe one of them will help you here.

cuzzzz

Cadet

I decided to replace the wood with new marine plywood. That stuff is high$$ 72 bucks a sheet. The floor is in good shape but top layer is peeling up in a few spots in the front and side entrance so I guess I will go ahead and change it just so I wont have to worry about it for a good while.Thanks for the wonderful advice as I am new to all this. I would like to take the stripe and Grumman off the sides they look like a decal does anyone know the best way to remove these? We are thinking of having the sides painted Maroon and Orange to give the boat a Virgina Tech theme is this unheard of and what kind of paint would a person use to bond to the aluminum sides??

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

usa a hair dryer for heating and then peeling the decals off.

boatmor

Seaman Apprentice

If your wood is really solid you can turn it over.

cuzzzz

Cadet

I would turn it over but there are so many 3 inch holes bored in the floor I just cant live with guess I am just curious. As for the decals, I will try that. Thanks...

cuzzzz

Cadet

We tried using a heat gun and blade but it was really hard to get the decals off so we decided to go with aircraft stripper and took them all the way down. it only took about an hour to strip the sides. Thanks for the advice.