Batteries and winterizing??

alternative

Seaman
Just curious if you remove your batteries in the winter. I have not for the past 2 years and seem ok. What is recommended?

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Batteries and winterizing??

yep, i do. i just clean em up on the outside. then i make sure it's filled up with distilled water. then set em on a board off the floor in the basement. then i trickle charge them 3 or 4 times over the corse of the winter. don't know if that's what is "recommended", but that's what i do. then i'm ready to go next season....

KaGee

Admiral

This will stir the pot again... for sure.<br /><br />It's up to you. Fully charged batteries cannot freeze. I would disconnnect and clean the terminals if you leave them there.<br /><br />I removed mine last year, but I stored them in the shed. No problems at all. <br /><br />Batteries will only last so long anyway, no matter how good you treat them.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I have left the batteries hooked up and fully charged on all of my boats for the last 12 years.I always flip my charger on a few times during the winter and have never had a problem.I check the acid level in the fall and again in the spring.Charlie

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I do the same as Charlie....Never a problem....JK

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Works for me to. Oh , we remove any 1 battery post lead to prevent a screwy way for a fire to start.

MRS

Commander

I pull and charge and set in garage and give a charge before installing again. Only fill with distilled water.

tystick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Supposedly another wives tale is that batteries should not touch the conc. floor when storing or they lose charge. Evidently, they do not lose charge any faster :)

f_inscreenname

Commander

In the basement for mine with the rest of the stuff I don't want a rodent to get into and make a home.

Bondo

Staff member

Mine either Stay in the Boat,...........<br />Or,... More Likely,.... Like this year,......<br />I bring the Batteries into the Shop,+ Use them to Power my 24V Welder all winter.............. ;)

alternative

Seaman

yeah, thats my experience with batteries. THEY ONLY last so long. Doesnt matter much, I keep all my batteries in my construc.equipment all winter and nothing goes, ,maybe one will get weak, but once up and running , charges itself and its good to go. I was just curious what most do. Thanks

spartanpele

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I talked with the manager of Northern Battery two weeks ago about this same topic. He recommended the following: You can leave your batteries connected during the winter, they don't need to be removed. Its best to fully charge them at the start of the winterizing, then charge them once a month till spring. If you attach an automatic charger to them, you merely have to plug it in once a month till charged, then shut it off. Concrete floors do not discharge the batteries any faster as batteries made now are constructed of hardened plastic, unlike the olden day batteries when the charge could seep through the casing. Batteries do not need to be stored in a warm climate, and actually will lose their charge faster when warm vs cold weather. Provided they have proper fluid (never use tap water), and are charged once a month, they will not freeze. So the simple procedure is, attach an automatic charger, and turn it on once a month to fully charge. Thats it.

JKEP44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you do leave them in thier batt boxes make sure that there is no water in the box or it will freeze possibly cracking your batt from the outside. It happened to me on a 4-wheeler.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

$10 Harbor Freight float charger (bought 10 on sale for $4.99 each a while back), set and forget. I have 7 batteries on right now, I will not look at until spring. Batt must be fully charged first. Keeps it between 13.20, and 13.50, the sweet spot, and will not boil out any water

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

It's actually beneficial to leave batteries sit on a concrete floor, especially in basement or such. The cool thermal mass of the concrete keeps the battery at a very stable and relatively low temperatur, which is really good for long term battery storage. It does not cause any type of discharge as urban myth says.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by craze1cars:<br /> It does not cause any type of discharge as urban myth says.
But it will leave a whitish mark on the concrete...and I don't know why. Don't make me go out to my shop and take a picture......

trog100

Senior Chief Petty Officer

silly question this.. but does anybody know why the "water" in a battery dosnt freeze..<br /><br />i know it dosnt.. at least i have never heard of one doing it.. but this thread got me to thinking as to why it dosnt.. he he..<br /><br />trog

jch7450

Petty Officer 1st Class

Trok I just had to answer your battery freezing question.here's the reason>Lead-acid batteries consist of six cells of 2 V nominal voltage. Each cell contains (in the charged state) electrodes of lead metal (Pb) and lead (IV) oxide (PbO2) in an electrolyte of about 37 % w/w sulfuric acid (H2SO4). Modern designs have gelified electrolytes. In the discharged state both electrodes turn into lead(II) sulfate and the electrolyte turns into WATER. (This is why discharged lead-acid batteries can freeze.)

jch7450

Petty Officer 1st Class

HERE IS A LITTLE MORE ON BATTERIES<br /> Is concrete O.K.?<br />When storing a battery, it is important to make sure it is at a full charge and the electrolyte level is full. A battery stored in a discharged state is susceptible to freezing sulfation and an increased rate of further discharge. The battery should be placed in a cool dry area, the cooler the better without going below 32°F, that is well ventilated and out of reach of children and pets.

jch7450

Petty Officer 1st Class

Electrolyte Freezing Points <br />Specific Gravity of Electrolyte Freezing <br />Point<br />(degrees F) <br />1.265 -75 F <br />1.225 -35 F <br />1.200 -17 F <br />1.150 +5 F <br />1.100 +18 F <br />1.050 +27 F <br /><br />So to some it all up <water> is H2O and will freeze at 32 f !<br /><sulfuric acid> is H2SO4 will freeze at -75 f<br />Enough on that <br /> :D