'86 Four Winns Freedom 160. Yes or No?

AliJesse

Cadet
Want to buy my first boat. Saw an '86 Four Winn Freedom 160 with a MerCruiser Alpha One 3.0L 140 hp inboard/outboard motor (not sure on the year) with a new prop and some other work. The interior is damaged. Planning on redoing the deck, carpet and upholstery myself. Other than that is in good shape. It would come with the trailer as well. Guy is asking $1200 for it. Not sure if the motor runs yet. Want to know if it is even worth buying before asking to water test it. Please let me know what you think.

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: '86 Four Winns Freedom 160. Yes or No?

If it ran well and the "floor" and stringers aren't rotten, then it's worth it, probably. But not to spend a bunch of money redoing an interior on it. Just look on here, and you'll see that replacement seat assemblies are not cheap. You could double your money in no time.
But on the other hand, try to find a brand new 16' bowrider for under $10,000.

Pictures would help. ;)

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Deck, carpet and upholstery- that's a lot of work IMO. If the engine doesn't run - walk away. Run away even.
What's your price range? Good boats that may or may not need some work can be had for $4,000 to $5,000 depending on where you live. You'll spend a grand at least just putting a new deck, seats and upholstery in it.

rickryder

Commander

Knowing a Four Winns like I do if the deck is soft you will be replacing stringers and bulkheads and maybe a transom. I picked up my 210 Horizion for $800.... I'm in it for about $4000 now.

AliJesse

Cadet

The work is no problem for me, will be doing it myself so it will be a lot cheaper. The seats are actually in really good shape so that is one thing I wouldn't be changing, maybe in the future but not yet. I am not sure why the transom would need replacing. The deck is only seems a little soft in certain areas around the middle of the boat but I am not taking chances and going to just replace it. My price range for restoring it would be $2000 max. So far, with looking at prices online, I do not think I will hit that mark unless there is more wrong than what I can see.

TilliamWe

Banned

There will be more wrong than you can see right now, I'll guarantee that. But it still might not eat you alive in costs. Just time and effort.

AliJesse

Cadet

Here are some pics. The guy replaced the propeller and the intake.
2012-06-03_13-03-51_756.jpg
2012-06-03_13-04-00_553.jpg
2012-06-03_13-04-15_422.jpg
2012-06-03_13-04-26_703.jpg
2012-06-03_13-04-33_855.jpg

AliJesse

Cadet

Last one. Hope these help.
2012-06-03_13-07-33_701.jpg

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

I would read rickryder's thread : http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=458229
That is probably what you are going to have to do to your boat. He's had to put in about 3 grand doing the work himself.
Do a couple of days of research in the restoration section and figure out if you really want to get into this.

rickryder

Commander

Boats rot from the bottom up....the flotation foam gets waterlogged and rots the stringers and bulkheads and finally into the transom. My boat had a few soft spots around the ski locker when I got it.

I did all the work myself and it's all in my thread below. It should give you an idea what's under your deck since the hulls are pretty much the same. Let me know if I can help you when you get her opened up ;)

AliJesse

Cadet

I will definitely read that thread. It looks like it will be very helpful. Luckily, my husband worked for alumicraft, and we have friends who still work there, building the interior of the boats so there is some experience doing the type of work needed. Also my dad and uncle have done the same with their Lunds.

Rick, just glancing through your thread, how much did it cost to and redo the floor? I am curious what you are doing for the carpeting as well. I was lucky that the chairs are in such good condition and only need to reupholster the front and back pieces. I will be looking at getting new chairs in the future, but I am going to keep the swivels, myself, since I am will be using the boat more for fishing and then some for pleasure cruising and skiing/tubing. :)

Also, what are the most important questions to ask when buying a boat in this condition. If the guy wont let me water test it, the boat leaks or motor doesn't run I am walking away from it. But, if those all are a non-issue, what do you guys suggest?

Maclin

Admiral

What is with the windshield mounting, looks like they added brackets and moved it up. Anybody else notice that? That kind of thing puts me off right away, thinking what other "hacks" have been done to that innocent boat.

rickryder

Commander

What is with the windshield mounting, looks like they added brackets and moved it up. Anybody else notice that? That kind of thing puts me off right away, thinking what other "hacks" have been done to that innocent boat.

Looks like they raised the windshield...I know mine is a bit low and hard to see through while sitting at the helm. Most times I stand up and look over it.

Can't really say what the deck cost to redo....I did so much wood and glass work. I wouls think if it's just a deck you'll have about 600-800 in materials.

AliJesse

Cadet

Thank you for pointing that out Maclin, I will definitely have to look that over and find out if it was done professionally or personally. Either way, if it appears sound then I am not going to worry about it too much.

Rick, that approx amount isn't too bad. That is about what I was thinking when looking at different prices.

Still hoping for some advice on questions to ask before buying that boat.

Maclin

Admiral

I think it is kind of a mess, but maybe that is what you want, more of a project than getting a reliable boat on the water quickly. I just know, after spending many hours this Spring looking, that things in person look a lot worse than their pics, and those pics are scary to me, I just do not get a good feeling about it. Just the way the seats are mounted, none of that looks stock, battery sitting on a seat cushion, the windshield mod, the combination of those kinds of things is what I see. If it was a real fishing boat the whole front open bow area would have a platform and not just a carpeted raised box/platform in the walkway between cushions. All of that is why I call it a mess, some would like it and call it a "mashup".

I just think it is a lot of work for what, in my opinion, would result in just a so-so boat. Fixing years of previous hacks and repairing the flooring will be a chore. It is always easier to build new than repair neglected items and re-do any "hacks", so not sure manufacturing experience (as opposed to full-on restore experience) will help unless you gut it and start over. Just the way it has been stored, all the junk in the locker, and the other things show a lack of care for this one, just sayin'.

rickryder

Commander

Thank you for pointing that out Maclin, I will definitely have to look that over and find out if it was done professionally or personally. Either way, if it appears sound then I am not going to worry about it too much.

Rick, that approx amount isn't too bad. That is about what I was thinking when looking at different prices.

Still hoping for some advice on questions to ask before buying that boat.

Unfortunately you can ask question but not get truthful answers....I would take the friend that works for Alumicraft with you and have him check it out thoroughly. A good running motor and drive is the first thing I would look for then bang him down on the price because of the deck rot issues....

AliJesse

Cadet

I think it is kind of a mess, but maybe that is what you want, more of a project than getting a reliable boat on the water quickly. I just know, after spending many hours this Spring looking, that things in person look a lot worse than their pics, and those pics are scary to me, I just do not get a good feeling about it. Just the way the seats are mounted, none of that looks stock, battery sitting on a seat cushion, the windshield mod, the combination of those kinds of things is what I see. If it was a real fishing boat the whole front open bow area would have a platform and not just a carpeted raised box/platform in the walkway between cushions.

I don't mind having a prject. I would prefer it actually just because then I would have more pride in my boat plus I can make any modifications to the interior since I am tearing out the floor. The seat cushions you see in the bow are two more storage compartments. I am thinking that it would be more practical for me, if i kept the idea of those compartments instead of making different ones, to not put cushion back on them and just carpet them. I would need more room up there for the pedal of the trolling motor, hell if I am letting my husband get a hand control one since you should have both for fishing, let aone standing room. I have no problem with the seats as they are, my dad has the same type of setup on his boat with no issues plus they are easier to pull out if needed. Who knows, might change up the swivel attachments. Also, I looked at boats around here, anything within the price range I have, that includes the repairs on this boat, are not worth it to me. Not even close to what I want. I want a setup like my dad's 70's Lund. This boat provides all that and then some. Have to make sure the motor works first and runs for an extended time though.

Unfortunately you can ask question but not get truthful answers....I would take the friend that works for Alumicraft with you and have him check it out thoroughly. A good running motor and drive is the first thing I would look for then bang him down on the price because of the deck rot issues....

I am not sure if we can get another person from Alumicraft up to where I live in time so my husband's experience will have to do. We will def be discussing price. I am not going to just give him what he asked for, even though NADA puts it at around $1,000 less than low retail value.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Given high boating season is now...do you want to go boating or resto? Seems like a resto would have been a good winter project. There are plenty of sea worthy, turn key older boats for sale in MN for small budgets. Between kids sports, working, rain days, grad parties, sick days, church, more kids sports, camps, and and on and on, our MN boating season is short enough that a full resto, during the season is a big committment.