AQ131A Blew up this past weekend, block swap or auto engine swap?

Ok, I bought a 1985 Bayliner Capri 19ft at the end of last summer with the aq131a /275D outdrive for $3200 in great shape. It was running a little hot but never got what seemed to be too hot so I took it to the boat mechanic. I found out the transom was rotten and it needed a carb rebuild and decided to have them install a thru-hull water intake to fix the cooling problem. So after 5 months and 1800 more dollars getting the transom replaced and carb rebuilt, I got it back last week. Took it out saturday on the Tenn. river here in Huntsville and it ran like a dream, had a great day on the river. Hauled it up to Tims Ford Lake in Tennessee Sunday and after warming it up, started heading to a cove to meet some friends... cruised at about 3300-3400rpms for about 8-9 minutes, engine sounded great, then BOOM. Out of nowhere, with all new fluids, and the mechanic saying entire engine was in great shape, it blows up. Got some pictures for ya.

Both sides of the block have huge holes on the cylinder closest to the transom. The starter blew off and all the oil gushed out. I really don't know what caused this, it wasn't running hot, oil pressure was good, it never gave any signs. I can see a bent rod, not sure about the crank. You can see all the way through each side of the block .
I really hate to just be out of $5000 and a boat. I really can't afford much and have been reading it is possible to swap the block from a volvo car with the b230 block. I've been searching the forums but can't seem to find a few clear answers. Should I just swap the block and use my head? Would any volvo with an early 80s b230 block work or what type of car would have the compatible engine? Could I use the auto crank and pistons with my head? I know to make sure I find one with the distributor in the block, and swap over all the other marine parts. Does the marine version have a larger oil pan?

I did read the other thread on here about swapping the entire engine with one from a 92 volvo 240.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=503981

Would this be easier just using the entire engine out of a 240? and would that work with the 275D outdrive? Or what would be the best auto engine to look for that would most closely match up using my outdrive and parts?
Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• P5300252.jpg
    P5300252.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 0
  • P5300249.jpg
    P5300249.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 0
  • P5300240.jpg
    P5300240.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 0

Nickypoo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: AQ131A Blew up this past weekend, block swap or auto engine swap?

Just to give you a little bump, I will blow some hot air over your way.

First of all, yikes! It blew the starter straight out of it's place! Good thing you weren't down there working on it or something when it blew.

Second, I noticed that this is the last cylinder. Could it be that water got it the cylinder and hydrolocked the engine? Did you happen to be going in reverse at the time? The only reason I say this is the last cylinder is the first to get water in it.

And yes, you can go to pick n pull or whatever and get a b230 block. You're running a closed cooling system so the automotive b230 is essentially the same. Just reuse everything else obviously, including the camshaft. Starter you'll have to replace with marine version.

Brucetafer

Petty Officer 1st Class

what nickypoo said, the B230 block is the same except cam and marine parts.... its gonna be a bit of work, but its a boat.... IMO it does seem like it hydrolocked... check the manifold or get a new one... ive seen them for 350 bucks new with warranty...

from what i was told, some B230s had different oil pans per year... i would try to save the one you have just to be on the safe side... my guess is its going to be the same...

Thanks for the reply guys, I guess the hydrolock theory makes sense. Is this something my mechanic should have noticed when pulling the engine and drive to replace the transom? I want to think it's his fault but I just don't know. I was not going in reverse, it was planed out running at about 3400rpms for 10 minutes when it happened. I looked up hydrolock and it says:

"lengthy periods of turning the starter can cause water to build up in the exhaust line to the point it back-flows through the exhaust manifold and fills the cylinders."

The first day I got it back I got stranded on the water because the distributor was dirty and had got gotten wet from a faulty radiator cap. I turned the starter over a lot the first half of the day, but the mechanic cleaned the distributor out and reset the timing to 6 deg BTDC, it ran like a champ the rest of that day and the following day. Could it have run fine for two days and then hydrolocked because of turning the starter alot that first day? What should I look for to identify if it's a faulty exhaust manifold? And would I be able to use the crank and piston from the auto b230 block if mine is damaged? The oil pan is busted, so that will have to be replaced also.

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer

Hold on a minute...
You had transom rebuilt?
Who re-installed the motor and outdrive.
If they messed up getting the flywheel bolting lined up and tight, or
u-joints were left in the rain, it could result in all that damage.
If the flywheel needed a place to go, it could have stopped the back of the crankshaft and the front kept pushing.
Is there any damage inside the bell housing or the drive head?

Maybe the repair work was gauranteed?

Nickypoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hold on a minute...
You had transom rebuilt?
Who re-installed the motor and outdrive.
If they messed up getting the flywheel bolting lined up and tight, or
u-joints were left in the rain, it could result in all that damage.
If the flywheel needed a place to go, it could have stopped the back of the crankshaft and the front kept pushing.
Is there any damage inside the bell housing of the drive head?

Maybe the repair work was gauranteed?

You know what, this sounds more likely than hydrolocking. I agree, check inside the bellhousing. I would work as hard as I could to rule out any kind of installation error by the people who worked on your transom before you start digging into anything.

I had the mechanic remove the engine, it then went to a fiberglass guy who has done hundreds of transoms, he did a really good job, it then went back to the mechanic to re-install the motor and outdrive. Nothing was left in the rain, it was all kept inside.

I haven't had a chance yet to check the inside of the bellhousing but it looks ok from the outside so far. I'm confused on what flywheel bolting has to line up with the flywheel. What has to line up? Would he have removed the flywheel? I know there are no motor mounts in this boat, all the weight sits on the transom. Anyway, I took it back to him to take look at, he never mentioned any guarantee but I'm hoping he will help me out somehow, like maybe find another motor for free or inexpensive.