Stern holes question

mullo

Recruit
I just bought a used 2002 Smokercraft 162 Millentia. On each side of the motor low on the hull are two holes - one looks similar to the where the bilge pumps water out of the side of the boat and the other has a silver metal mesh cover (looks like a microphone head sort of) that screw in. Can anyone tell me what the different holes are for please? I figure they are live well related but not sure and have not had the boat in the water to play yet.

Thanks for any responses!!!

Re: Stern holes question

I just bought a used 2002 Smokercraft 162 Millentia. On each side of the motor low on the hull are two holes - one looks similar to the where the bilge pumps water out of the side of the boat and the other has a silver metal mesh cover (looks like a microphone head sort of) that screw in. Can anyone tell me what the different holes are for please? I figure they are live well related but not sure and have not had the boat in the water to play yet.

Thanks for any responses!!!
The silver mesh is the livewell inlet and the other one is probably the livewell drain. Is it a little smaller and to the side of the hull drain plug? If so, it is almost assuredly the livewell drain.

mullo

Recruit

Thanks, I finally found pics of the mesh holes which took forever. I just got back from fishing and took a pic of the holes too from my boat.

I saw that the mesh ones were for the intake for the live well to avoid clogging the pump with debris in the water. The white holes I guess are for emptying the live wells like you had mentioned. I guess this occurs with removal of the livewell plug and boat movement.

Would these white holes bring water into the boat to a certain volume too when not moving? It appears that I am getting water in the bilge while sitting still or docked. The bilge will pump for 3-4 minutes when sitting for longer periods. If I troll for 2 hours, I do not seem to have any water in the bilge.

Thanks for all your assistance!!!

white boat holes.jpg

Thanks, I finally found pics of the mesh holes which took forever. I just got back from fishing and took a pic of the holes too from my boat.

I saw that the mesh ones were for the intake for the live well to avoid clogging the pump with debris in the water. The white holes I guess are for emptying the live wells like you had mentioned. I guess this occurs with removal of the livewell plug and boat movement.

Would these white holes bring water into the boat to a certain volume too when not moving? It appears that I am getting water in the bilge while sitting still or docked. The bilge will pump for 3-4 minutes when sitting for longer periods. If I troll for 2 hours, I do not seem to have any water in the bilge.

Thanks for all your assistance!!!

View attachment 159402
mOST RIVETED BOATS WILL TAKE ON WATER IN THE BILGE WHILE SITTING AT REST IN THE WATER AND SMOKERS ARE NO DIFFERENT. SIMPLY RUN YOUR BILGE PUMP TO DRAIN IT ONCE AN HOUR OR INSTALL AN AUTOMATIC SWITCH ON YOUR BILGE PUMP.

fishrdan

Admiral

How hard is it to see all the fittings? I would dunk the boat and start looking for water dripping around the pumps, fittings hoses. Also, what type of hose is used for the livewells? I wouldn't use cheap corrugated hose as I've had it on a bilge pump and it split after several years, the livewells should be plumbed with high quality livewell hose. If the leaks are under deck, it's not going to be a fun repair. You could get some plugs for the through-hull fittings, plug them all to see if it stops the leak, then remove them one at a time to see which one is dripping.

mOST RIVETED BOATS WILL TAKE ON WATER IN THE BILGE WHILE SITTING AT REST IN THE WATER AND SMOKERS ARE NO DIFFERENT.

The boat shouldn't leak, being riveted doesn't matter as there are thousands (hundereds of thousands?...) of riveted boats that are water tight.