Pressure testing and oil coming out weep hole.

grarrsmi

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, here is what I did and what happened.

I took Drive off and replaced impeller and housing. Also found the shift shaft seal going bad so I replaced. I have replaced impeller and housing before and never had a problem. But now when I fill with fluid it comes out the weep hole. So my question is, does anyone have any idea what I did wrong? Also, how do you see what seal is bad when you pressure test the outdrive when its together. Is there a way to separate the upper and lower and do the pressure test so you can see which seal it is? I guess what I'm saying is if I do the test, than how do I know if it is coming from shift shaft seal or by the impeller when its together?

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

cr2k

Captain
Re: Pressure testing and oil coming out weep hole.

Did you use any kind of lubricant when you replaced the lower housing? You could have sheared the o-ring if not.

grarrsmi

Seaman Apprentice

Ok had a wasted day today. Was hoping to have boat running today but ended up spending the day finding the leak and fixing it. So the leak was coming from under the impeller housing. I guess the gasket for some reason did not seal good. Had a extra one and put it on and all is good now. Found it by taking lower unit off, put in my homemade stand, plugging oil passage with my finger and pumping oil in while holding my finger on it. One thing I want to add is that I had an OMC (which I still have) before my Mercruiser and hated working on the OMC. Mercruisers are so much easier to work on.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

.... Mercruisers are so much easier to work on.

And people wonder why OMC went belly up.... I have the same with the outboards.... OMC (Johnson and Evinrude) gear shift connections to r&r the gearbox is a nightmare..... Merc, just a simple splined shaft.... And don't get me started on the thermostat and poppet valve housing (V4s), or their manuals :facepalm:....